Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is interesting to see the Korth , 3000$ revolver have the extra 9 MM cylinder that has a "button" on the right side of the frame that you depress to change out 357/9mm cylinders.
The same system that the Taurus 692 has for it's 357/9mm cylinder . I guess Taurus may have "peeked" at the Korth attachment ! ;) The Korth has a 1:10 twist in their barrel and I am not sure what Taurus uses , probably 1:14 or 1:18 3/4 , like S&W . It will be interesting to see how my 692 shoots 9mm.
Somehow I bet the Korth got a little more hands on in it's construction than the 692 ! I am not sure the 3000 difference makes me want a Korth to take to the range and plink soda cans with . I would like to shoot a Korth some times to see what a 3000+ revolver is supposed to feel like. :D

·
22,317 Posts
I have no idea what a $3000 revolver would feel like. The closest I can come firsthand is comparing my model 66 to my Diamondback.

DSC01044.JPG

The model 66 actually has a higher polish, shinier finish. But the Diamondback's finish is more even. The factory grips on the Colt blow away any factory grips I've seen on a Taurus. Or a Ruger. Or the vast majority of S&Ws. They look and feel great. And they make the revolver point very naturally. Both revolvers have a full length underlug for good balance and weight well-positioned for recoil control - which is obviously more of an issue with the .357 Taurus than the .38 Special Colt. The Colt has the vented rib, of course, which I honestly consider a cosmetic feature more than anything else. But it's so well shaped, with precise lines and corners, and little "extra" cuts and contours that speak to tremendous attention to detail.

Accuracy? I'd need to do some back-to-back sandbag work to really be sure, but with my experience I'd give the nod to the Colt, but not by much.

When you handle them, I feel a difference doing things like opening the cylinder, closing the cylinder, and cocking the hammer. If you've never felt a gun like the Diamondback, you'd never find anything wrong with the Model 66. That's because there isn't anything wrong with the 66. It's just more right with the Colt. Everything that moves, moves like it's on ball bearings. Cocking the hammer takes more effort on the Taurus. It's the same story with the trigger; the Taurus' trigger is surprisingly good - in fact, everything about this Model 66 is surprisingly good for the dollar. The value for money of that .357 is amazing. I'm very fond of it.

But the Colt is different. The Taurus is efficiency-driven mass production done very well. The Colt represents a lot of handiwork, literal hands on craftsmanship, by people who worked at the feet of a master for years before being allowed to build pistols themselves.

Now, I realize this is not the same as comparing a Korth to a 692. There's (hopefully - there better be!) a difference between the Diamondback and a Korth. And I've read some folks who believe the Diamondback is finish to Detective Special levels. Comparing my Diamondback to my DS, I disagree. The Diamondback is better, no doubt about it. Honestly, if the Korth weren't better than a Diamondback level gun in some way or other, they'd never sell enough of them to stay afloat. But is it worth it? Personal call.

My Diamondback purchase could have gotten me a Taurus .454, plus a .38 snub and a .357. If you don't have those other guns, and have a use for them, the answer is clear. But if you have the basics, would you be glad to have spent the money on a Korth one of the Great American Revolvers? Only you can judge. I know if someone walked up to me with those hypothetical three Taurii and offered a trade, I'd say no. The Colt or a Korth would be better in some ways, unquestionably, but is the degree of improvement worth the money? I can understand the "it sure is!" point of view, and I can also understand the "heck, no; that's ridiculous!" point of view.

Your call.

·
22,317 Posts
Thanks! Which one? ;D

Reactions: taurustoter

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ghost I have owned a couple of Pythons and i understand the "slick" action of the "V" spring revolvers.
Fred my last sentence mentioned 3000+ for a Korth , German made revolver, and they are on GB for 3400 or so for the basic model. If I had a Korth , and I have owned some expensive guns like a Royace Wiedel custom revolver but nothing in the 3K+ range , I would sell it and buy a couple of Taurus and Rugers and shoot the hell out of them and not worry about harming them.
The crux of the comment was comparing the button release on the 692 to change cylinders and essentially the same system on the Korth .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts