Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm new to shooting, recently purchased a gun (Mil PT111 G2) and would like to find a nice range bag. While I realize it's mostly about personal choice, since I'm sure I won't think of everything I might want to consider, I'm looking to you folks for some advice.

My hubby got some of those ammo box things-and I'm not sure I like them. I'd love to have a range bag with a woman's touch, but I'm not finding much along those lines, and then I found a couple of tool box type things at Sears that might work, but still considering my options. Right now, only have the one little gun-but would like my bag to hold at least two--for future expanding possibilities-wink, wink!

Please share any favorite features, must-haves and/or any stories you have to go along with it. OR tell me about your non-traditional bag (something that wasn't made to be a range bag but works for you) and why you like it.

·
Registered
16,314 Posts
Kim,
Gun bags are alot like handbags and purses. there's thousands of different onces and each has pros and cons. For an initial firearm bag, you can get a simple 1 or 2 pistol zip up gun bag. They sell them in Wally world for around 15-20 bucks. It's decent, holds upwards of 2 pistols and mags and is about the size of a clutch bag. Problem is there's not really room for ammo and color choices are kinda lame. I've seen black, camo and pink. from there you move into range bags. they will start around 25 bucks and go upwards of requiring a second mortgage. most are black, but Black is a good standard color and goes well with everything. All that said, it really depends on you shopping around and looking at individual bags. you will find one that works for your need and that will change as soon as you get used to it.

Reactions: dfa24.7

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
I really don't see a need for a specialized bag for shooting. My 2 primary range bags are a simple, but very big, dufflebag and a cheap, medium sized day pack. If I'm shooting smokeless, I use the dufflebag. If I'm shooting black powder cartridge or cap and ball, I carry the backpack.

The backpack has several outside pockets, so I can carry- or separate, I don't like the idea of carrying percussion caps in the same area of a bag with the powder flask- all the stuff necessary to shoot and maintain my guns when shooting black powder.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I used to use just a plain regular carry bag (just a simple bag with handles, single snap at the top or no closure (don't remember which), kind of like you'd carry groceries in), but then it became too small, and so I got one of those $20 black Winchester bags from Wal-Mart (note: the product image is misleading; it doesn't come with all that stuff, just the bag and the two pistol case thingies). It worked fine for a little bit, but then the SO and I got more guns, and wanted to carry more ammo with us to the range, and the Winchester bag just isn't up to carrying the heavy load for the two of us. So, we got one of those Plano plastic ammo boxes to put the ammo and the non-carry firearms into, and use the Winchester bag for eyes, ears, markers, tape, mini cleaning kit, balloons, etc.

Like the others have said, "range bags" can be small or large, and cheap or very pricey. It all comes down to what is right for you. The Winchester bags at Wal-Mart have a pocket on the inside on each of 2 sides, that have a folded padded thingy to put a handgun in, so basically it's designed for 2 guns, a bit of ammo, and your shooting accessories (eyes, ears, markers, tape, etc.). If you're looking for something affordable and that you can obtain locally, (rather than shopping online, paying shipping, and waiting days to receive it), then that bag might work for you. It's plain black, but I suppose you could think of it as an empty canvas, and personalize it with t-shirt paints, or maybe pins and keychains and whatnot, if you desire.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I would suggest something with a little room in it. I like a bag that is large enough to put my small target package (8 x 10) on the bottom. I also will put two individual pistol cases in there so the guns do not bang together. I like to add ammo for each gun taking a couple different brands in case I have issues with one. Add in my eye and ear protection, some ear plugs, can of cleaner and some rags, set of small binoculars, and it is getting full about this time. I also put speed loaders in the outside zip up pockets along with any tools (small screwdrivers, allen wrenches, gun specific tool, etc. in there too. The outside pockets are a must as they keep you from digging around trying to find the smaller things that get lost in a large bag. I like the two handle bags and they need to be sturdy enought to handle the weight of all the stuff inside. If they have the wrap that keeps the two handles together and secured, all the better.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Compartments, places to keep guns, ammo, shooting glasses, ear protection, and basic tools seperated.

·
Premium Member
17,743 Posts
I use a smallish bag... GunMate Range Bag Nylon Black holds two guns and everything else, but it's full with ear muffs, ammo, stapler, mag loader, monocular. Durable bag and inexpensive. The main compartment is divided into three sections. One will hold all the ammo you're likely to shoot (400-500 rounds) One the ear muffs and rags and zip locks for brass. The third holds all the other accessories. There's two side pockets with removable padded inserts for the guns.

Amazon.com: pink range bag

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've got a softarmor, the small which is designed for 3 handguns it seems.

Each exterior pocket is padded with a folding and removable foam liner about 3/4 inch thick. And then right next to the handgun is a thin softer layer.

The large center section has held 500+ rounds, eye and ear protection, cleaning kit etc.

It has handles and a removable shoulder strap.

The soft armor site sells them for $45ish last time I checked but mine came from a local range.

·
Registered
30,024 Posts
I look for ballistic nylon bags with "lots of pockets" to store guns, magazines, ammo, tools and cleaning supplies. Some of the one's made by "specality companys" can be rediculous in price.

:r_c: I've found good deals on nylon "tool bags" ($10-$25) from Harbor Freight, Wal-Mart, Lowes and Home Depot that aall work fine as range bags.

·
Registered
708 Posts
LA Police Gear has a nice one for$19.99 plus shipping. Roomy interior, lots of outside pocket storage with velcro flaps. Comes with handles that snap together and also a nice padded shoulder strap. I always carry at least 2 pistols with ammo and all my other shooting gear. I like it so much I ordered 3 more. One for me and one for each brother. Shipping is reasonable if you order more than one. Very durable. Check it out.They show pics inside and out from all angles. Mine is over 3 years old and gets used often. I don't think I can wear it out. Very good buy. Good by.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very kewl-Thanks everyone! That gives me some places and brands to check out online. I really appreciate it.

As for using tool items, it seems to work...Hubby got a couple of nylon tool holsters for some sort of tool gun and screwed them into our safe. It holds them perfectly in place from one of the side walls inside the safe.

I saw some fancy ones from a sight someone recommended on another forum-some gals site and I can't rem...oh gun goddess was their logo perhaps. But they were really pricey-but really nice too.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I use a smallish bag... GunMate Range Bag Nylon Black holds two guns and everything else, but it's full with ear muffs, ammo, stapler, mag loader, monocular. Durable bag and inexpensive. The main compartment is divided into three sections. One will hold all the ammo you're likely to shoot (400-500 rounds) One the ear muffs and rags and zip locks for brass. The third holds all the other accessories. There's two side pockets with removable padded inserts for the guns.

Amazon.com: pink range bag
Plastic bags for brass...you must save your own brass and have a machine to make your own bullets then, right?

Reactions: glenwolde

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I use a Craftsman bag from Sears (used a nylon from Academy for years), it was on sale for around $12 and came with a smaller bag within. I can easily carry 3-4 handguns, ammo, eye and ear protection, cleaning supplies and small tools. Can get heavy when fully loaded.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Join the NRA and get a free one, I turn mine down each year so maybe a newby can enjoy.
Yes, a nice bag from NRA.

Wife and I use a ModGear Molle-404
[I don't advocate using/buying from CTD after
their recent anti 2A crap]
but our bags came from them a couple of yrs ago,
and still look new....with very much usage.
Here's the info...and maybe found elsewhere, as it appears
CTD has none available.....yet, the particulars :
ModGear Black OPS Bag Black 16x10x11" Heavily Padded Lots of Pockets

Wife and I normally take 3-4 guns each to the range.....
with 3-400 rounds ammo each, small cleaning kit, range rugs
[micro-fiber towels 2/ea], eyes, ears, etc.....
These are our current favorite choice.....and have had many....
but these work...sorry, no pink :) OD, Tan, Black.
16"x10"x11" and full of sturdy pockets......
and similar to the above post with the Midway range bag in
size, but not as many pockets.....

Price was very right !
Use the CTD info....google it somewhere else if interested.

·
Premium Member
17,743 Posts
Plastic bags for brass...you must save your own brass and have a machine to make your own bullets then, right?
Correct. The brass case is the most expensive part of the cartridge. They can be reloaded many times. In reality you don't spend any less money, you just shoot more because you can afford more ammo. I reload for .380, 9mm, and .38/.357.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
And go ahead and sort it at the range as you pick it up! You'll end up going through it again a couple times anyhow but there's no sense in making it harder. Think of it like sorting your change and putting the different coins into different containers when you pull it out of your pocket instead of when you decide to roll it. Have a separate bag for each caliber you are shooting that day and a few spares for when you find brass you can use that someone has left (if your range allows picking up brass that isn't your own). I use cloth bank style bags that I got back 20 years ago. Coffee cans work well, too. And revolver brass shouldn't hit the ground unless you are shooting on the move or some sort of action sequence. When you eject the empties, do it right into the bag if you are shooting from a bench. There's no sense in getting them all gritty and dirtier than necessary.

Now I'm nitpicking, so bear with me.

The 'bullet' is what comes out of the barrel. You can make bullets with a heat source hot enough to melt lead, a ladle and a mold. It's called casting. Reloading is taking the components (bullet, brass case, powder and primer) that make up a 'cartridge' or 'round' of ammunition and putting them together.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.