Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I'm thinking about picking up another snubie to keep my 651SS company. Or should I get another steel framed revolver? Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Wouldn't be a bad choice IMO, but remember the felt recoil will be higher on the Poly than on the steel frame.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the poly and the 85 UL snubbies. The Poly has just a little longer grip for your little finger and shoots great but, my M85 UL with the trigger job is sweeet. buy them both .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Picked up a Ruger LCR .38 a few months ago. Nice to carry. Recoil is not objectionable for a revolver this size & weight. Run 700rds thru it so far (150-200 a session). Enough to be confident any bad guy is in trouble inside 25 yards!

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
After having experience with several steel and alloy framed 85 series revolvers, I would be interested in trying the poly version. You get the best of both worlds -- better absorption of recoil than on an alloy frame, lighter than a steel frame.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I like the Poly revolvers....I just can't bring myself to replace my J-frame Airlite and Airweights. They actually weigh less than the Protector, and I can shoot them very well.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I had good luck with the LCR and it has one of the best DA revolver triggers out there. Don't know enough about the Taurus Poly to recommend one. I would go with a SS605 in a heart beat though.

·
Registered
476 Posts
There are some Poly guns I'd like to try out, but I wonder what happens when a Poly gun is dropped?

Sig Sauer has an ad out now that says their Polymer is as Strong as Steel! I wonder about that claim? I think Polymer is a very good material

and I'm sure most gun manufactures have a good Polymer product.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have reported previously how much I like my .38 Special Poly Protector -- shoots great, reliable, and accurate; but the real advantage for me over the J-frames and the M85's is the fiber optic front sight. That feature makes all the difference in the world -- the pistol works for me because it is easy to get a good sight picture and it shoots to POA.

I do not hesitate to recommend the Poly to anyone. The only drawback is that currently there are not many holster choices I had one of the local guys (williamsgunleather.com) make me an IWB holster and I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have reported previously how much I like my .38 Special Poly Protector -- shoots great, reliable, and accurate; but the real advantage for me over the J-frames and the M85's is the fiber optic front sight. That feature makes all the difference in the world -- the pistol works for me because it is easy to get a good sight picture and it shoots to POA.

I do not hesitate to recommend the Poly to anyone. The only drawback is that currently there are not many holster choices I had one of the local guys (williamsgunleather.com) make me an IWB holster and I am very happy with it.
I agree completely.. I really like my poly 605 and it shoots .38 like a dream! Its is a real handful with .357 through it but its accurate and a real pleasure to shoot with .38 special through it. There arent holsters to fit either of these guns yet, I ordered a kit from oldfailthful and i'm making mine as soon as the kit comes in this week.

all in all the gun feels great and looks amazing!

·
Registered
5,348 Posts

The front sight is one of the reasons that I find it appealing as well. I wish all 21st century revolvers came with this feature. It just makes the revolver so much more shootable/useful....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts