Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Beautiful. Had several years back but my old hands can't handle it. The muzzle blast is something to behold.

I am sure you will have fun.

Will last a life time

Sent from my 9024W using Tapatalk

Reactions: taurustoter

·
Registered
985 Posts
Yours is one fine looking Ruger. I'm sure it'll find a way into your heart. Those factory grips are a good design. Just the same, I'd like to see Hogue make a laser Tamer grip. My Ruger wears a CT grip that's quite adequate.

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel

·
Registered
220 Posts
Very nice!!! have fun with your new Ruger.

·
Administrator
40,585 Posts
It has my approval!:thumb: Looks kinda like mine. .357s are kickers in it, but manageable. You'll love it!

Mine had a heavy D/A trigger pull, so I replaced my hammer spring. Difference is amazing.

Attachments

·
Registered
24,947 Posts
Congrats on your new wheel gun.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Great little revolver you obtained !!
The Hogue Monogrip for the SP101 is not just nice, it is a necessity. The factory grips WILL batter your middle finger with the trigger guard the more you shoot .357 magnum loads. Once you see what the Hogue Monogrip does at the trigger guard, you will love it to death.
As for the revolver itself, it is a Ruger. You could run over it with a vehicle of choice, drag it through a few mud puddles, throw it against a wall, drop it from a crane, and spit on it and it will still shoot, and accurately to boot!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Congrats! It's a very well put together 5 shot .357 Magnum.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I think you got yourself a sweet wheelgun there, is what I think.

·
23,210 Posts
Nice steel wheel! Enjoy it!

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great little revolver you obtained !!
The Hogue Monogrip for the SP101 is not just nice, it is a necessity. The factory grips WILL batter your middle finger with the trigger guard the more you shoot .357 magnum loads. Once you see what the Hogue Monogrip does at the trigger guard, you will love it to death.
As for the revolver itself, it is a Ruger. You could run over it with a vehicle of choice, drag it through a few mud puddles, throw it against a wall, drop it from a crane, and spit on it and it will still shoot, and accurately to boot!
Yeah, that's what I heard. I know .357's, in the M605, are brutal after a few cylinders full. I picked up a few more speed strips, and snagged a Fobus Kydex paddle holster for it...what can I say, I really like the paddles, although I do have a decent Bianchi leather holster for it as well.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, shot the Ruger today, and wearing thin shooting gloves, the .357 loads were doable, but I would not want to run very many through it without them. The .38 & .38+P's were no issue at all, with or without the gloves.

I will be getting some of those Houge grips, sometime in the future, but I also don't intend on running a lot of .357, so I'm in no big hurry either. I think the only "sore" spot was from the backside of the trigger housing, where it meets the factory grips. The recoil of the .357's tended to batter the middle finger there.

The SP-101 ran 100%, as did my 605 and LCR. I did 90% of my shooting in DA mode, for that is how I would want to be able to use it for SD. No problems with the trigger pull, and towards the end of my shooting session, I was getting good at staging the DA pull, to get a more precise shot. Again, I tend to like heavy handgun triggers.

I did all my shooting from 30', and had no issues keeping them all on a 6" paper plate. I think I will keep it loaded up with .38 +P's for self defense though...those .357's really seem to penetrate, and if I had to use it to defend myself, I am a little worried that the .357's would blow through the attacker. I feel the +P's would still do someone some serious damage, and my follow up shots were quick with it.

All in all, I am very happy with this latest revolver, and am now looking to add another to my collection! This little Ruger is a tank, and seems well built. I feel it will outlast me.

Cheers!

·
Registered
901 Posts
Congrats taurustoter on you acquisition.It's such a beautiful revolver and so solidly built.

I use my LCR 22LR as a warm up and then go to the SP-101. Used the original grips and dressed them up with some Chigs grip panels. Just bought Altamont grips for it. The Altamonts should be here tomorrow, I'll post a pic when I get them on.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts