Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awhile back, I was lookin' for a .22 range revolver and after checkin' out what was available, it came down to a Ruger Wrangler or Chiappa (the 1873, I believe). I somewhat begrudgingly went for the Ruger simply because I was not at all familiar with Chiappa and their overall reputation, neither was the salesperson (RK Guns). I really wanted the Chi-Chi, I liked the look and feel of it way more than the Ruger and actually, it was about $70+ cheaper. I don't really want another .22 revolver but I can't seem to get that one out of my mind, I'm still considering gettin' one. I'd appreciate hearing about any hands-on experience or info y'all might have with this model and/or brand.

·
Registered
127 Posts
To be honest I’ve never owned one but have manhandled a few . I’ve never been impressed by any of there firearms as they seem cheaply made . I pondered there M1 carbine rifle but all or most reviews have been discouraging.
As far as the Ruger vs Chippa I would buy the Ruger but think the Heritage is still a better deal . I’ve owned a couple and for what it’s worth is a fine little plinker.

·
Registered
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest I’ve never owned one but have manhandled a few . I’ve never been impressed by any of there firearms as they seem cheaply made . I pondered there M1 carbine rifle but all or most reviews have been discouraging.
As far as the Ruger vs Chippa I would buy the Ruger but think the Heritage is still a better deal . I’ve owned a couple and for what it’s worth is a fine little plinker.
I considered a Heritage, actually my first brand choice but all that was available locally were the Barkeeps and the long-barreled models. I wanted a 4"-6".

·
Registered
37,946 Posts
we all have our likes/dislikes and so forth but honestly IF I am wanting a single action 22 revolver I am not looking anywhere except the Ruger Single -6.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The only experience I know of with a Chiappa was negative. It was a 1911-22 that my neighbor and shooting buddy bought new. It only took one trip to the range for him to decide he had made a mistake by purchasing it. It failed to cycle cleanly with any of several brands of ammunition. The fixed sights were seriously off (12 inches at 7 yards) and the general build quality was poor. He sold it at a loss at his first opportunity.

Again, it was not a revolver and was not my gun but his experience convinced me to avoid the brand.

·
Super Moderator
41,287 Posts
I didn't get out with the new Diamondback Sidekick today, I was picking up my wife from her eye exam where her eyes were dialated to saucer size. Then went and bought six arborvitaes . The Sidekick is nine rounds, converts to 22 WMR and is SA/DA.

·
Super Moderator
41,287 Posts

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
The old saying, "if you have to ask". The makers name is one thing but what model are you taking about. Are Chevrolet good, then you go out and buy a Vega?
Chiappa ? Not a name i think says good gun. I would do much home work on what model. I know nothing about .22 revolver by them but Rugers, i'm good with their .22 revolvers and wouldn't pass on them.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Funny, but that was probably said about Browning's 1911!
Perhaps...but than semi auto was a new platform entirely.
Chiappa thought they could compete with the likes of these tried and true revolvers? Just no.
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Chiappa aren’t horrid firearms, but I wouldn’t exactly call them first rate either. They’re better than Bryco-Jennings, but thats not saying much. A rock might do better for defense than a Bryco. They mostly do reproductions of old classic six-shooters and lever action rifles. They have Italian firearms roots, but do some manufacturing in Ohio, about 60,000 units a year according to the internet. I read somewhere there’s a loose relationship with the folks at Charles Daly shotguns. The Daly folks seem to make two classes of shotguns: the stuff you see on cheaper than dirt, and hand crafted heirloom quality pieces you need a lottery win, or an old forgotten trust fund to afford. (Maybe not quite that bad, but they carry a hefty price tag.)

That Rhino revolver is intriguing. It’s not much to look at, but it’s the only revolver I know of that fires off the bottom chamber. I may have to look into one of those.

Reactions: kschilk

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
we all have our likes/dislikes and so forth but honestly IF I am wanting a single action 22 revolver I am not looking anywhere except the Ruger Single -6.
I second the Single Six. There is a world of difference between the Ruger single action and everyone else. If you miss with a Single Six, it's your fault.

Maloy

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Chiappa aren’t horrid firearms, but I wouldn’t exactly call them first rate either. They’re better than Bryco-Jennings, but thats not saying much. A rock might do better for defense than a Bryco. They mostly do reproductions of old classic six-shooters and lever action rifles. They have Italian firearms roots, but do some manufacturing in Ohio, about 60,000 units a year according to the internet. I read somewhere there’s a loose relationship with the folks at Charles Daly shotguns. The Daly folks seem to make two classes of shotguns: the stuff you see on cheaper than dirt, and hand crafted heirloom quality pieces you need a lottery win, or an old forgotten trust fund to afford. (Maybe not quite that bad, but they carry a hefty price tag.)

That Rhino revolver is intriguing. It’s not much to look at, but it’s the only revolver I know of that fires off the bottom chamber. I may have to look into one of those.
There are reports of cracking on the crane. The Mataba was the original. Pucker up when you find one.

Maloy

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
There are reports of cracking on the crane. The Mataba was the original. Pucker up when you find one.

Maloy
For the price tags I’ve been seeing… not likely I’ll be getting one. For that kind of money I can get an FN five seven and enough ammo to have a good bit of fun. Or get the Ruger 57 and even more ammo….

·
Registered
30,005 Posts
Chiappa makes guns that range from inexpensive and good to not-inexpensive and excellent.
The company is based in Italy. The distributor is in Dayton, OH; their customer service is excellent. (I don't remember the URL for the distributor... there are fakes out their. Be careful)
The .22 revolver is a copy of the 1873 Cattleman (air)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts