Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sprucing up the house and there seems to be a disagreement on what to do with the front door. It is a wood door that is stained, but is in need of either being sanded, stained and sealed or painted. The wife feels a redo of the current finish is in order. I am leaning to painting the door and the surrounding frames of the side light panels, but of course leaving the cedar boards their natural color.

All of our other exterior doors are painted, this includes the back front door or would that be the first front door. I guess it would be the non formal front entry door.

So give me some impute. Am I selling ourselves short by not considering a totally different color? I know many lean towards doors of green, red and maybe even purple (which ain't going to happen in this case).

Here is the current door, and yes you can tell it needs attention in a bad way. Texas weather can be brutal on large panels of wood causing window sweating, expansion, shrinkage but some how this door has avoided any wood cracking which is amazing.

Here is the front door that enters towards the rear entry foyer at the garage entry as an example of how my color of paint choice would look.

So what say you my extended family......stain, paint, color choice? What do you have on your entry door? Who picked the color she or he?

·
Registered
13,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a more distant photo showing more of what the door color would be blending in with.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Here is a more distant photo showing more of what the door color would be blending in with.

Beautiful house! If it was me, I would return the door to its original beauty, but if I was lazy, I would just paint it a light tan.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Stain or paint - either way, it will need to be touched up again every so many years>

With paint over stain, you my have to do it every year.

If you re-stain it, then put a good UV blocking clear coat over it, you might only have to re finish it every 5 or 6 years.

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Registered
13,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beautiful house! If it was me, I would return the door to its original beauty, but if I was lazy, I would just paint it a light tan.
Caught red handed, and well pointed out!!!! Lazy, I am.
And thank you for the kind comment on the house.

·
Registered
13,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OH and if you are wondering if I take the members advice seriously the answer is yes. Jake3501 or was it LoneStarJake was of great help in choosing our interior paint color.

·
Registered
24,546 Posts
Ours is limed oak and that will always be the finish. I would recommend to sand an stain and then two coats of a good marine varnish. Should last 5 or 6 years.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
My front door is a sliding glass door.
Regarding your door.
If I had the money I'd replace the front door and the walls on each side of it with a steel clad door painted white and the walls with the same solid rock finish as the walls leading to the door. This would make it harder to break in.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
My front door is a galv steel clad wood door with a white heat shrink type vinyl coating.

Over time, the vinyl shunk and cracked to I took a wire wheel on a grinder to my door and took it down past the galvanization. Primed it and painted it white again.

Paint is starting to peel after 5 years, but I think my original mistake was the door was laying flat in the hot sun in the middle of July when I painted it. It dried in less that 2 minutes after the brush stopped touching it. I mean, the first 1/4 of the door was dry before I finished painting the second 1/4 of it.

Maybe it screwed up how well it sticks or the way it was supposed to cure.

Door is also behind a all glass storm door , so it is a 7' high by 32" wide by 4" deep oven during hot weather. I put a layer of the heat/light blocking film on the inside glass of the storm door, but I think the damage was already done./

·
Registered
13,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those iron doors are a thing of beauty for sure. I would just hate to put the money into a replacement door on a house we will be listing on the market for sale. Don't think I would be able to recoup the investment.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Those iron doors are a thing of beauty for sure. I would just hate to put the money into a replacement door on a house we will be listing on the market for sale. Don't think I would be able to recoup the investment.
Aha, in that case I just sand it and apply a clear finish. That way the new owner can do whatever they want from leave as is, to paint, to replace on their dollar.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
You can always put a coat of sanding sealer on it, buff with steel wool, put another coat of sanding sealer on it, buff with steel wool, then paint it with a good quality enamel finish.

Hell, you could even spray paint it as long as you spray with nice even sweeps of the can.

The next owner then has the option of leaving as is or they can sand it down to the wood to do whatever they want.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
That water stain just under the center oval window will be extremely difficult to get out if you re-stain. I would choose to prime then paint. I see your stonework has some light red or rust colors in it. Your door stain color mimic it. This is the color of paint I would use. Semi-gloss or gloss paints are the most durable.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
You're going to sell the house? Stain the door. Any paint color you pick may not be something a prospective buyer might like. Yes it would be a easy fix for the new owner but it's just another reason to not buy this house.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
I have an Ugly_Door_2opt.jpg idea for your door, but I bet you won't like it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts