Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I saw this on the news last night. The woman is a 4th year medical student, and should have known better.
It all appears to be an innocent, but stupid and most likely, a costly one at that.

NY City has it's own set of regulations, different than NY state laws apparently.

NY gun charges for Blount County woman » Knoxville News Sentinel

New York does not honor any other states Permit/License.
IMPORTANT NOTE:

Your New York State pistol license is only valid in the counties outside the 5 counties of New York City. Unless it is validated by New York City. You may not take your handguns into the city, this includes Self Protection licensees, with a few exceptions.

Happy New Year Everyone!

Rob

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
While I feel for her , it's your responsibility as a permit holder to be aware of the laws where ever you carry.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Carry should be part of keep and bear and therefore a right, now if we could only get the government to obey the law....

·
Registered
527 Posts
I use to drive in and out of NYC every morning making deliveries. The city is where you need to carry for self defense! But it is their law.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I do feel for her BUT as said she should know the laws of any state/city she is in or plans to visit. I only carry while hunting and its in the open but I have also checked county laws to make sure Im not breaking any laws. Granted Pa is a open carry state (highly NOT recommended) but I also have checked other states when we visit relatives and I take a gun to goto the range with family. I will be getting my permit this year but likely still wont carry often unless I feel needed.

The big point is if yer responsible enough to get your permit be responsible enough to check the laws where ever yer going. NEVER ASSUME cuz it looks bad on all with permits!!!! DON'T FEED THE POLITICAL ANIMALS!!!!

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
And we are supposed to be a free country!!! As everyone stated, she should be checking the laws in other states, especially states like New York. I just hope she can get this straightened out!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Carry should be part of keep and bear and therefore a right, now if we could only get the government to obey the law....
I quite agree with you.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I too have a TN carry permit. One of the major points that they stressed during the classroom training to get the permit, is that the TN permit is not honored by all states. IT IS THE GUN OWNERS RESPONSIBILITY TO KNOW THE GUN LAWS OF ANY STATE THAT HE/SHE PLANS TO TRAVEL WHILE TRANSPORTING OR CARRYING A GUN..!!!

That said: I feel that the arresting officer over reacted by arresting her. Since she approached the officer and asked him what she should do with her gun after she saw the "no guns" sign, it was obvious that even though she violated the law, there was no criminal intent. Personally, I feel that the officer should have confiscated her gun and have the city/state charge her a hefty fine to get it back. JMHO

·
Registered
306 Posts
Looks like she learned a hard lesson. I hope judge goes easy on her.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Somewhat unrelated to the original intent of the post, but I saw something in the article that I couldn't help but widen my eyes at:

"New York City and its mayor, Michael Bloomberg, have reputations for being very tough on those arrested for illegally carrying guns, he said.

An example would be NFL wide receiver Plaxico Burress, who was charged with illegal gun possession in 2008 after shooting himself with a handgun in a New York City nightclub. Burress had an expired Florida concealed-carry permit.

Bloomberg urged the maximum penalty for Burress, who was sentenced in 2009 to two years in prison with two more years of supervised release. He was released from prison this year."

Regardless of the questionably (read: definitely) unconstitutional nature of NYC's firearms legislation, maximum penalty for an ILLEGALLY POSSESSED firearm is TWO YEARS??? Maybe, just maybe, if we enforced current legislation to its fullest, and kept offenders in prison for their full sentences, we'd find that there wasn't a need for more legislation because crime is actually effected by properly enforced current legislation. (that which you see dripping is satire).

And yes, I realize that laws are never properly enforced for the famous.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
When travelling not only does a gun owner need to check the state laws but the local CITY laws of any notable place you plan on passing through.Yep, this means spending a few hours online googling some legal terms.Calling the authorities may help, but firearms law is something you will be the one responsible for knowing, not the LEO who pulls you over or the DA. They can be wrong too.

Example-Illinois State Police recommends that any firearm be kept in the trunk or part of the vehicle as far away and inaccessible to the driver as possible, unloaded, and locked. Its the State Police recommendation, so one can drive through Chicago with a laser sight equipped Taurus 1911 and be legal as long as its locked and cased as per State Police guidlines?

WRONG ANSWER.

What will happen if your vehicle is stopped and the gun inspected will be the following-since your handgun has a laser sight attached to it, that makes it a "contraband firearm" according to Chicago city law which subjects you to arrest, a $1000 fine and the immediate-and permanent-forfeiture of your prized .45ACP handgun to the City of Chicago.
Since a banned weapon was found in your trunk the Chicago Police will seize and impound the vehicle you drove in as well, again according to City law. That's another $500 plus storage and towing costs.

"But, officer," -you say- "the State Police said as long as its cased & locked in the back its legal!!!"

"Yeah yeah, tell it to the judge. Watch your head" SLAM.

Chicago is not the only place that operates this way.Bottom line is that you need to do your own research on the laws of the land you intend to travel to or though.One may be surprised at what the statutes say. When researching the Chicago city statutes I didn't know beforehand that the police could seize your vehicle alongside taking the firearm, but its in the law!

Another note, states have a different definition of prohibited person as others. Your home state might not care that you own a gun and had a reckless driving conviction. The state you are driving or stopping at might see things differently legally speaking.

Yes the FOPA is federal law, but fly into a New York or New Jersey Port Authority airport with a firearm that is not registered in either state and you WILL be jailed. Why? Because the local courts basically authorize the Port Authority to disregard the FOPA at their leisure. I had to find that out myself, not from calling a 1-800 number.

·
Registered
29,933 Posts
This is the second or third article that's been posted on this subject.

Every state that issues concealed carry licenses covers this matter.

With ones life and or career on the line you'd think they'd be more responsible about carrying.

·
10,379 Posts
Apparently the Tennessee state government has decided to play, picked this up today.

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/107/Bill/HJR0585.pdf

HOUSE JOINT RESOLUTION 585
By Niceley
A RESOLUTION urging the State of New York to use common
sense and sound judgment in the disposition of
the case against Meredith Graves.
WHEREAS, on December 22, 2011, Meredith Graves, a registered nurse, fourth-year
medical student, and Tennessean traveled to New York City for a residency interview at
Brookhaven Memorial Hospital on Long Island; and
WHEREAS, while in New York City, the soon-to-be doctor and her husband, Richard
Disharoon, decided to pay their respects to the victims of 9/11 and attempted to enter the
hallowed memorial at Ground Zero; and
WHEREAS, believing the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution was still
in effect and possessing a fully authorized license to carry from the great State of Tennessee,
Ms. Graves arrived at the memorial with her .32 caliber pistol stored in her purse, never
imagining the mayhem that would shortly ensue; and
WHEREAS, as she quietly approached the sacred landmark, Meredith Graves caught a
glimpse of a sign, warning, “No Guns Allowed,” and, as any law abiding citizen would do, she
quickly reached out to a security guard and inquired as to the proper procedure for checking a
firearm; and
WHEREAS, the guard directed her to a separate section and explained that she was in
luck because it just happened to be “Law Enforcement Day;” and
WHEREAS, with no reason to be concerned, Ms. Graves followed the guard’s
instructions and respectfully asked a police officer the same question; and
WHEREAS, reacting with undue haste, the officer immediately arrested Meredith Graves
on a weapons-possession charge, and she was subsequently held on a $2,000 bond; and
- 2 - 01098550
WHEREAS, despite having no prior criminal record, Ms. Graves must report to court on
March 19, 2012, when these charges will be prosecuted by the Manhattan District Attorney, who
plans to pursue a conviction on felony gun possession. This serious allegation carries a
minimum sentence of three and one-half years; and
WHEREAS, clearly, this incident was simply an unfortunate misunderstanding and any
attempt to pursue legal action against this devoted health care professional would be a grave
miscarriage of justice; now, therefore,
BE IT RESOLVED BY THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES OF THE ONE HUNDRED
SEVENTH GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE, THE SENATE
CONCURRING, that we hereby urge the State of New York to use common sense and sound
judgment in the disposition of the case against Meredith Graves.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that we remind the citizens of New York, especially those
residing in New York City, to drive carefully through the great State of Tennessee, paying extra
attention to our speed limits.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that a certified copy of this resolution be transmitted to
Michael R. Bloomberg, Mayor of New York City.
Some real gems in there.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
how is a individual suppose to know all the different city ordinances in a state. here in ohio, ohioan's for concealed carry sued severeal cities and won. now in ohio all cities have to follow state law. example city of cleveland and cleveland hts. used to to have ordinances pertaining to handguns, ohio state supreme court ruled those ordinances were unconsitutional. so state law truimp's any city ordinance. there were small cities throughout the state that used to have ordinances. this why we need to have a national CHL good anywhere in USA.

·
Super Moderator
21,612 Posts
Yes they will get a big kick out of TN wonderful speed traps especially in construction zones and may find some of our backwoods jails as pleasant as they want to give us.
Maybe they will enjoy a good grab your knees strip search. Just for Southern hospitality. :)

It would be nice if Bloomberg would visit I'm sure he would be received with a wonderful welcome. Maybe even a trip to LYNCHburg TN.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts