Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I'm reading 1984. I plan on keeping my tv turned off from now on!!!:) Next up is Constitutional Chaos by Andrew Napolitano.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Started up Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy again.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Just checked out "Boy's Life" by Robert McCammon from my local library. I know very little about the book, only that it was highly recommend by other readers.

·
Administrator
39,686 Posts
I've read 1984 before, but it was a long time ago. I think we have it here somewhere, and I might just read it again. The last book I read, and I know this ain't politically correct, was The Holy Bible a few years ago. Yeah, me. Cover to cover. I probably should read that one again too!
I know Animal Farm is here, and I'd like to read that one again too! :thumb:

·
Registered
751 Posts
3rd book in the 'Hunger Games' trilogy...

I must think I'm a 13 yr old girl instead of a 46 yr old guy. I blame my wife for suggesting that I read the first one last month.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Rereading some of the 40K WarHammer books while waiting for the library to get the new requests in. Not much, just some science of baking and such.

Sarge

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Finished rereading "Liberty and Tyranny" by Mark Levin, and picked up "Arguing with Idiots" by Glenn Beck yesterday while at a used book store. After that, me and the youngest will tackle The Federalist Papers again.

Reactions: rodfair

·
Super Moderator
17,697 Posts
"The Black Swan" - Nassim Taleb. This book is economic / financial in it's orientation, but applicable to other areas. I rarely read fiction anymore.

"A black swan is a highly improbable event with three principal characteristics: It is unpredictable; it carries a massive impact; and, after the fact, we concoct an explanation that makes it appear less random, and more predictable, than it was. The astonishing success of Google was a black swan; so was 9/11. For Nassim Nicholas Taleb, black swans underlie almost everything about our world, from the rise of religions to events in our own personal lives."

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Right now I'm reading 1984. I plan on keeping my tv turned off from now on!!!:) Next up is Constitutional Chaos by Andrew Napolitano.
Reading 1984 again now 40 years later. Bought the "Animal Farm" combo package. Amazing how G.O. had political correctness pegged, huh? I've never been a lib but it's interesting how you realize you've changed your thinking over time.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I just finished the Stieg Larssen trilogy. I don't read much fiction but I did all three in two weeks. Lengthy but interesting reads. Larssen knew 'zero' about firearms. Zilch.

Interesting how Sweden has strict gun control and double the U. S. murder rates.

Be sure and read 'em in sequence. Tattoo, Fire, and Hornet's Nest.

Reactions: Sarge

·
10,379 Posts
LoL at this point I've got The Destroyer: Seeds of Destruction on my headboard. Not exactly Shakespearean, but, the Destroyer series is entertaining.

Just finished Dean Koontz's By the Light of the Moon for about the 4th time.

I really should go back and reread things like 1984, but, at this point if I want to be depressed and worried about the future I'll pick up a newspaper or turn on the evening news.

·
Registered
29,765 Posts
I enjoyed both of those. The really scary one of the two is Constitutional Chaos in my opinion. At least 1984 has the air of fiction!

I'm Reading: It's Dangerous to be Right When the Government is Wrong - Andrew Napolitano, Parallel Worlds - Michio Kaku, The Civil War - Julius Ceaser

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I read hundreds of books as a child and later a lot of science fiction. I like Smokewagon's choices. A recent favorite is W.E.B. Griffin, who writes very well about the military and LE's. I'm waiting for a moment to read Tom Clancy again, if I can ever get off the internet and this forum. I read 1984 a long time ago. Too much of it is in today's news.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Also the Bible.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The Dogs of War. Just fiished 5 Fingers.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I am reading a book based on Arthurian legend. It's called the Drawing of the Dark, and it's an interesting read.

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
I read hundreds of books as a child and later a lot of science fiction. I like Smokewagon's choices. A recent favorite is W.E.B. Griffin, who writes very well about the military and LE's. I'm waiting for a moment to read Tom Clancy again, if I can ever get off the internet and this forum. I read 1984 a long time ago. Too much of it is in today's news.
Yup, I've read every book W.E.B. Griffin has written. I liked his earlier books a bit better than some of the most recent ones that he's written with his co-author, but they are all good.

Right now I'm reading The Stock Fitters Bible by Rollin Oswald. I've read this book half a dozen times but each time I read it I get something else out of it that I didn't get the first time! If you ever have an interest in making your shotgun stock fit you properly, this is the quintessential resource for doing that.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
The last book I read, and I know this ain't politically correct, was The Holy Bible a few years ago. Yeah, me. Cover to cover. I probably should read that one again too! :thumb:
Smokewagon, I did exactly the same thing years ago, on a project. And you know what? I'm gonna do it again!

·
Registered
7,689 Posts
I just finished the Stieg Larssen trilogy. I don't read much fiction but I did all three in two weeks. Lengthy but interesting reads. Larssen knew 'zero' about firearms. Zilch.

Interesting how Sweden has strict gun control and double the U. S. murder rates.

Be sure and read 'em in sequence. Tattoo, Fire, and Hornet's Nest.
I read all three too, as they arrived on the market. Larssen might not know about firearms, but he sure had a passion for Ikea. :)

I'm currently reading "When All Hell Breaks Loose," by Cody Lundin. In the queue is "98.6: The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive," also by Lundin. There is some moonbat stuff there, but overall Lundin does a very good job of entertaining while reducing survival advice to easily digestible bits.

Another author I highly recommend is Daniel Suarez, if you like near-future SF. Start with "Daemon."

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I'm just finishing Blood Trail by C.J. Box, a Joe Pickett novel. I like detective books and this series, recommended by my brother, has an outdoorsman flavor. Joe Pickett is a game warden in Wyoming and seems to get caught up in murder cases a lot. Didn't think I'd be too interested but the author is excellent at the hunters and outdoors experience. I've read a lot of W.E.B. Griffin also. I couldn't stop reading the Corps series and went on to a lot of his others too.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts