Taurus Firearm Forum banner
4101 - 4120 of 4148 Posts

·
Super Moderator
38,026 Posts
I started a run of 9mm target rounds. I have 200 primed and may run another 200 before setting up to load them on the Lee 1000.

Reactions: PTDOUDE

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I started a run of 9mm target rounds. I have 200 primed and may run another 200 before setting up to load them on the Lee 1000.
If that's their latest progressive, how you like it. I was thinking about getting one but since I already have the Loadmaster I figured it would be a bit redundant.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
What are you loading and shooting?

Well Thursday I was finally able to shoot some of my handloads with the aid of a Magneto Speed Chronograph. After going thru the trouble of loading up some loads just for this exercise I have been miserably disappointed. For this event I was all out of the brass I have been shooting and had to finally break into some of the Lake City 223 brass I have been working on and saving. Until now I had never shot any loads with this brass.

Anyways the long story short I did not see the results I wanted to see as the numbers were all over the place. Each loading of three there were two very close and then one far off either High or Low. In all but two loads the ES varied from a low of 25 to a high of 96.. The two best had an ES of 10 and 14 and both of those were with different powders and different bullets.

Now it has been suggested by my mentors to retreat and retest using the same brass I have been using which has been PMC.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
How you like that magneto chrony?

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
If that's their latest progressive, how you like it. I was thinking about getting one but since I already have the Loadmaster I figured it would be a bit redundant.
The latest/greatest progressive is the Pro4000 Auto Breech Lock Pro. I have both the Pro1000 and Pro4000 and am more fond of the older Pro1000 model. The new one has 4 positions and uses the Safety Prime like the Turret presses. My biggest complaint is I wish they would have used an all metal shell plate carrier.

Reactions: PTDOUDE

·
Registered
3,942 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I need to buy one. How's that for an answer? This one is on loan from my boss.
I've always wanted one too but, if I'm not mistaken, I've read that there are some conditions & projectiles that don't do well with it. also it's much pricier than your standard chronograph....BUT....I'm drawn to its simplicity & ease of use.

Reactions: kmw1954

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
The latest/greatest progressive is the Pro4000 Auto Breech Lock Pro. I have both the Pro1000 and Pro4000 and am more fond of the older Pro1000 model. The new one has 4 positions and uses the Safety Prime like the Turret presses. My biggest complaint is I wish they would have used an all metal shell plate carrier.
Yeah, now that you mention it, I remember seeing in the reviews that owners complain about that & that's one of the things that dissuaded me from buying one but damn...that John Lee ramped up his dad's product line in a very positive way & I'm impressed. The old man knew what he was doing when he turned the company over to his son.

Reactions: kmw1954

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I've always wanted one too but, if I'm not mistaken, I've read that there are some conditions & projectiles that don't do well with it. also it's much pricier than your standard chronograph....BUT....I'm drawn to its simplicity & ease of use.
A good number of the bench shooter at our range use them for velocity numbers for load development. The biggest complaint I've read about is with the plug on the wire connection. Seems to loose contact at times which causes errors and that on some tapered barrels it slides around and comes loose.

Also by hanging it off the end of the barrel it can tend to change your POI and barrel harmonics.

Reactions: william and PTDOUDE

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
A good number of the bench shooter at our range use them for velocity numbers for load development. The biggest complaint I've read about is with the plug on the wire connection. Seems to loose contact at times which causes errors and that on some tapered barrels it slides around and comes loose.

Also by hanging it off the end of the barrel it can tend to change your POI and barrel harmonics.
YES!! That's one of the problems I had read about in the past. The affect it has on barrel harmonics.

Reactions: william

·
Super Moderator
38,026 Posts
The one I have is an early three hole model that a gracious friend gifted to me. I began trying to prime on that unit and never got it to work well. That and I also wanted to have the Factory Crimp Die in the last position. I now prime on my Lee Turret with the Safety Prime and then crank them out on the Lee 1000. All in all, slightly faster than doing all functions on the Lee Turret and produces good ammo.

Reactions: PTDOUDE and kmw1954

·
Registered
37,070 Posts
Sorted some 357 magnum head stamps to load some lehigh defense rounds. Apparently went to double check data and they lowed there data with true blue down from 10.8 to 9.6 which is a big difference and could explain why I was having over pressure signs during my last loading which I had to tap out of my cylinder with a squib rod. This update in data occurred after a chat with there ballistically on over pressure signs in my 605s at only 10.0gr. everyone stay safe out there and always load up with caution because even manufactures could have issues with load data. Stay safe during this 4th weekend. Happy and safe loading all!

View attachment 480042
damn 10 Plus percent over max and its a 357 magnum already!!!
thats not good!

·
Registered
37,070 Posts
Loaded 300 rounds of 10 MM yesterday and 300 rounds of 38 Thupper today, all coated projectiles and pushed along with Accurate #5.
I need to go shave now after loading all them MANLY cartridges i have quite a Beard!

·
Super Moderator
38,026 Posts
Well, I kept going on priming the 9mm cases since I wanted to finish off the brick of spp. The dog likes hanging out in the furnace room since it's quieter with all the fireworks going off. I'll start loading them up tomorrow.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
590 Posts
damn 10 Plus percent over max and its a 357 magnum already!!!
thats not good!
Tell me about it, I had never had shell cases get so stuck I could not extract them without a hard tap on the ejector rod. I shot 2 full cylinder of it thinking it may have been a dirty cylinder and was like this does not seem right and stopped after getting a good look at the shell cases vs the other magnum loads I shot that day. according to the ballistician he loaded and shot some max loads out of a ruger gp100 and it acted normal and we chalked it up maybe to thicker cylinder walls on the gp100 and thiner ones on the 605. But the change in data solidifies that it was a little more than that.

Comparing the lehigh defense projectile vs the xtp the lehigh defense is longer and seated deeper per load data could contribute to higher pressures.

Whats I can say is that my sense of self preservation after the even in reloading is on high alert after loading 1.2 grains under max and still experiencing this issue.

On a another note Happy 4th of july everyone I got on the bench and loaded 10 rounds of light magnum loads for the 605 with the lehigh defense projectiles at 8.4 grains of true blue. Stay safe everyone and happy reloading!

Bottle Beer Bottle cap Solution Alcoholic beverage Table Shelving Kitchen cart Gas Kitchen appliance

·
Registered
37,070 Posts
I load a fair amount of Copper Projectiles (self defense) and so always pay a lot of attention to the OAL of the projectile when comparing new load data from a book, web site or manufacture using regular jacketed projectiles, its really amazing how much longer a lighter material can make a projectile.
same with removing metal for a hollow point or one of dem screw points--LOL--the weight has to go somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
38,026 Posts
Finished my run of 500 of the 9mm variety and realized how low that I am on boolits. Finished with 124 grain php and 115 grain crn. Should shop around for additional. Tumbled the 357 cases waiting, decapped about 500 9mm cases and they're in the tumbler now. Decapped the 25 or so 45-70 cases that have been waiting for buddies. I've got so many 9mm cases cleaned and ready to load that it crossed my mind to just leave the next batch on the range floor. But, naw, old habits are hard to break.

Reactions: william

·
Registered
37,070 Posts
Finished my run of 500 of the 9mm variety and realized how low that I am on boolits. Finished with 124 grain php and 115 grain crn. Should shop around for additional. Tumbled the 357 cases waiting, decapped about 500 9mm cases and they're in the tumbler now. Decapped the 25 or so 45-70 cases that have been waiting for buddies. I've got so many 9mm cases cleaned and ready to load that it crossed my mind to just leave the next batch on the range floor. But, naw, old habits are hard to break.

I have for the mean time stopped hunting for projectiles, as i have about 2600 plus 9 mm in 115 and 124 grain, and another 300-400 self defense projectiles, thats NOT including loaded ammo.
another say 1200-1400 45 caliber and some 400 or so 10 MM waiting to be loaded when needed.
about 600 308 200 grainers for the 300 blackout, what I am going to need is powder once I start to load again.
I am down to about a pound and a half of Accurate #5, got a few pounds of HP-38 and Unique but thats back up when i run out of Acc#5.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Tell me about it, I had never had shell cases get so stuck I could not extract them without a hard tap on the ejector rod. I shot 2 full cylinder of it thinking it may have been a dirty cylinder and was like this does not seem right and stopped after getting a good look at the shell cases vs the other magnum loads I shot that day. according to the ballistician he loaded and shot some max loads out of a ruger gp100 and it acted normal and we chalked it up maybe to thicker cylinder walls on the gp100 and thiner ones on the 605. But the change in data solidifies that it was a little more than that.

Comparing the lehigh defense projectile vs the xtp the lehigh defense is longer and seated deeper per load data could contribute to higher pressures.

Whats I can say is that my sense of self preservation after the even in reloading is on high alert after loading 1.2 grains under max and still experiencing this issue.

On a another note Happy 4th of july everyone I got on the bench and loaded 10 rounds of light magnum loads for the 605 with the lehigh defense projectiles at 8.4 grains of true blue. Stay safe everyone and happy reloading!

View attachment 480079 View attachment 480078
What's the purpose of the plastic bags on the powder reservoirs?

4101 - 4120 of 4148 Posts