Taurus Firearm Forum banner

4061 - 4080 of 4085 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,012 Posts
^^ well, I know that you're not talking to me!

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,181 Posts
you were the reason I decided to set up this dedicated decapping station. I thought it was from the carbon but its definetly the primers lol little lee reloader with a lee universal decapping die

do you clean the press after depriming ? or do you have a range of decapping prior to cleaning again

View attachment 478461
I don't have a hard rule. It was a used press to start with. So if I notice more resistance in the ram than normal I will stop, take it to the garage and run it through the safety klean tank, blow it dry with compressed air and wet the ram with wd 40/CRC 556 or what every lube is handy. Just before I get back to the house I wipe any drips or runs from the press and put it back on line. If the wife catches me, I say "oops" and take it back to the garage until she leaves.

BTW

Nice set up xiholdtruex, how do you like that bench?

Czechvikr

in SW Ks if it came in from outside ....... it has sand in it. All of my brass comes from an outside range. Another reason to decap then clean before any other operations.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Just a note for you SUZY STAY CLEAN reloaders---IF its made of steel, and IF you keep it spotless(no oil, graphite-etc,) then you can expect it to rust.
remember lots of that black stuff is graphite that is added to most powders for several reasons.
A perfectly clean, spotless resizing die makes for a harder process.
yep If I recall correctly I believe lee states if the brass is clean to add some lube to the cases before sizing even in carbide dies because the carbon helps it size easier.

until I started using steel resizing dies and lube I never knew they even rusted lol I was resizing all my brass crusty as hell lol

·
Registered
572 Posts
I don't have a hard rule. It was a used press to start with. So if I notice more resistance in the ram than normal I will stop, take it to the garage and run it through the safety klean tank, blow it dry with compressed air and wet the ram with wd 40/CRC 556 or what every lube is handy. Just before I get back to the house I wipe any drips or runs from the press and put it back on line. If the wife catches me, I say "oops" and take it back to the garage until she leaves.

BTW

Nice set up xiholdtruex, how do you like that bench?

Czechvikr

in SW Ks if it came in from outside ....... it has sand in it. All of my brass comes from an outside range. Another reason to decap then clean before any other operations.

so far I like it alot makes reloading nice to have a dedicated setup. can get home and process a few case then get along with my normal duties lol
what I will say is it is light but strong so before I stocked it with weight it would shift since its not bolted to anything. but I added 60lbs of lead to the far end of where the reloading press is and its good. with the lee bench plate any give is minimal. for the price on special at around 100$ its not a bad deal. will say the rails for the drawers are straight garbage so expect to replace them down the road lol

word of warning for wet tumblers, wet tumbled some nasty brass with the primers still in it 2 months ago and ran it for 12 hours at 180f in my dehydrator. when I decaped it last night still found some of the primer pockets wet.

·
Registered
572 Posts
This week end I did some brass processing a cleaning. wet tumbled 100 pieces of 38 special and 100 pieces of 357 mag. started reloading off by resizing 50 pieces of 357 mag going to be loading 120gr lehigh defense xtreme defense with 10.1gr of true blue later this week I need to rotate out my current carry loads its been a year now lol. hopefully I can get out to the range next week to run some ammo through the ruger after the firering pin failure -.-

Happy reloading everyone!!

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Well it's been a few now with lots going on, brothers passing, my arthritic back and a willy-nilly work schedule.

I actually got to shoot up some of those test loads plus a few more for my 223's. I think when I finally started shooting I had 14 different loads. 4 total bullets: Hornady #2265 55gr SP, Hornady #22760B 62gr, Hornady #2278 68gr and a RMR 69gr BTHP. These were loaded with TAC and Varget and set to many different length.

The Hornady 68gr Match shot exceptionally well in the Model 10 Savage but would not chamber in the Savage Axis. The 55 gr were also tried out in the Model 10 and shot much better than in the Axis but I still kept coming back to the 62gr bullet over 23.7gr of TAC. Partly because that 62 gr bullet is 1/2 the price of the Hornady Match. While the RMR 69 is still new and I haven't loaded of shot many of it.

I still have 2 more powders to investigate, BL-2(C) and Accurate 2460 which is a tad faster than TAC but won't reach the speeds that TAC will.

So slowly catching up with life again and still have about 4 more loads to test. Tomorrow I see the Back Dr. again and don't work again until Sat or maybe Friday if the back allows. In the mean time I have a new Lee Value Turret press to play around with.

·
Registered
572 Posts
got around to loading some mock rounds to set my 9mm and 357 mag dies , also resided and primed 40 cases of 357 mag. after setting up my turret press again I remeber why I love this thing lol made 10 mock up rounds in 2 mins with auto indexing to test col and function in my carry gun.

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-28 at 8.32.50 PM(2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-04-28 at 8.32.50 PM(1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-04-28 at 8.32.50 PM.jpeg

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
xiholdtruex with those loads at least you will always have a philips screwdriver with you!:D

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Been at the bench and now have 2 more loads to test.
Hornady 75gr ELD Match over 20.5 and 20.8gr of Varget to see if they will shoot in my Savage 10 with the 1:9 twist. Before I started I did a "soft jam" to establish max length and see if they would chamber. They came out @ 2.420" and Hornady manual stated length at 2.390" so I should be good.

Now I am headed back up to the bench to load another test with the RMR 69gr HPBT. These will start at 22.5, 22.8 and then 23.1gr of Varget set to Sierra MatchKing specs of 2.260" if they will chamber in the Axis also.

Reactions: xiholdtruex

·
Super Moderator
37,012 Posts
xiholdtruex with those loads at least you will always have a philips screwdriver with you!:D
Should anything be on the receiving end of one of those they would be truly screwed.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Should anything be on the receiving end of one of those they would be truly screwed.
lmmfao that should be my next test load. can I screw a reloading bench together with lehighdefense light loads lol

or a shirt ( Getting screwed one round at a time lol)

surprisingly when I was cycling by hand they all function properly, I really thought that they would hang up on the feed ramp on my .380 and 9mm. now I just need to test some at the range next trip.

on another note, The lee value turret I setup with the rounds just pumps out consistent rounds after my testing and measuring each one in 9mm and 357 mag. my love for this thing has definitely returned. I think I will eventually get a lee classic cast turret press because I like the handle and thicker components like the classic cast. The thinner links on the value make it feel spongier.
and I finally got around to setting up the lee auto drum. tested 100 drops with true blue power (which is ultra fine leaky) not one drop of leakage and every drop was consistent. out of 100 3 were .1 grain under. I just about bought one setup for each of my turrets lol makes loading alot quicker as far as complete operation vs pulling the round out and using the lee perfect powder measure then back in.

still have yet to setup the lee autodisc, I need to either cast or order some 40 sw bullets to load up and may test it on those.

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-30 at 6.41.55 AM(1).jpeg

·
Registered
572 Posts
Had a little time on the bench , installed the lee perfect powder measure adapter for the powder through die. Works good just like the auto drum except leaky with true blue and not as stiff due to it not being screwed into the die. Loaded 15 rounds of 357 mag with 10.2 grains of true blue and the screw attack bullets lol and got around to loading 18 9mm with 6.3 grains of true blue also to test next range day. hoping to get out to the range next week.

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-02 at 2.52.24 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-02 at 2.50.30 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-02 at 2.52.25 PM.jpeg

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Well after the day at the range Thurs. I am out of loaded ammunition so after the grandkids leave today I will be heading to the bench to load more 223. Going to play more with those 69gr RMR HPBT with some Varget and the TAC. 3 more loads of each.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Made it out to the range. Just a quick handgun trip so could not test the 223 rounds this time :(

Finally made it back out to the range again after a broken firing pin on my ruger ec9s. Ran 120 rounds through it and it ran flawless. Had one feeding issue with the lehighdefense 90gr in the ec9s anf one on the lcp2 380 in 60gr I need to load more. May polish the feed ramp to see if it helps. Ran true blue and silhouette powder and it was clean with no noticeable flash. need to run another 100 rounds of practice ammo and 100-200 rounds of defensive to make sure its running good. Also had a chance to run through some older reloads from 2019. Had two bad primers not go off but everything else ran good in 357 mag. Had a suspected over pressure scenario with some reloads I need to look into a little more. It was 10.1 gr of true blue with lehighdefense xd 120gr.They were hard to extract and flattened primers. It was a load I had shot before without issues I am thinking the crimp may have been to heavy if not I am backing off the load a bit. Max is 10.8 starting is 8.0. Will try 9.0-9.5 next trip with a light crimp to see if it alleviates the issue.

Has anyone seen over pressure in 357mag from too heavy of a crimp? I have gone up to 10.5 in 125gr xtp bullets without ever having such issues.

IMG-20210507-WA0061.jpg
IMG-20210507-WA0057.jpg

·
Registered
572 Posts
a little update on the 357mag loads, Talked with Mike Cyrus at lehigh defense and he loaded up some loads at max charge and told me they all shot well and extracted like a magnum load. He informed me to back off my charge by .5 grains down to 9.6gr and it should fix the hard extraction issue. He was telling me apparently it can happen on thinner walled cylinder relovers. has anyone ever ran into this with magnum loads? I dont shoot full house 357 mags in my snubby often but when I shoot for example full house 10.5 gr loads I have never had this happen. could it be the cases?

Any suggestions are welcome.

ended up loading 10 with 9.5 grains to give them a try and a medium crimp instead of heavy

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-08 at 3.51.26 PM.jpeg

·
Registered
572 Posts
Went back through all my reloading notes double checking all the loads I had shot and the load I had shot was with plated bullets. Could have made a difference in materials im not sure. Was going to through loaded rounds and round a box of hot loaded magnums loaded from 10.5 - 11.5g with western data and decided to pull them apart to be on the safe side. So i pulled apart 50 357 magnums today. On thw plus side I am proficient at the use of thw kinetic hammer now lol

20210510_135533.jpg
20210510_143808.jpg

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I believe I mentioned this before but anyways, I have a box of appx. 1k 9mm hand loads that a friend at the range gave me because he has soneone else load them and they are all screwed up. So far I have about 150 broken down.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,181 Posts
I believe I mentioned this before but anyways, I have a box of appx. 1k 9mm hand loads that a friend at the range gave me because he has soneone else load them and they are all screwed up. So far I have about 150 broken down.
Nah! 9mm is cheap, there is no reason to waste your precious time breaking down someone else's problems.

Just send it to me and I will dispose of it properly.

I'm nice like that!

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
william, nice try though!

Reactions: william

·
Registered
572 Posts
Are you to also in the kinetic puller club? lol

4061 - 4080 of 4085 Posts