Taurus Firearm Forum banner

4041 - 4060 of 4084 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,012 Posts
The Lee advice is probably good, but may still produce unusable 300 BLK cases after two operations. I am leaning towards just cutting and forming them once and it they don't fit the headspace gauge, toss 'em. I may get a 20% failure but with the amount of 223 brass I have, it's not a big loss. I may also try annealing the cut down case prior to forming to see how that works.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
If you can't get them to chamber, send them to me, I'll size them properly. I could probably compensate accordingly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36,669 Posts
my reloading today consisted of resizing 168 rounds of diassembled 223 and wiping the lube and checking all of them in a headspace gauge. now they are all flush or almost flush. Going to try loading 30 rounds and taking it to the range once I decide what to do with my carry gun when the firing pin comes in.

HMMM--so 168 rounds of pulled ammo??
seems like you could use one of dem Progressive Bullet Pullers that our old member Rottiejake developed.---Griiin.
64803986.jpg

·
Registered
36,669 Posts
If you can't get them to chamber, send them to me, I'll size them properly. I could probably compensate accordingly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
well I don't form 300 BO cases from 223/556 brass as i am fortunate enough to find 300 BO once fired laying in the floor here.
so yes some of it is indeed reformed cases form 223/556 by someone but lots of it is factory 300 BO cases.
anyway once that i got my OAL for the projectiles that i shoot correct I can't remember the last time that i had a failure to chamber or a stuck loaded bullet that was hard to extract.
now all I shoot is sub sonic as well.
and I use the Lee dies to reload the 300 BO, now watch since posting this i will have like 52 jams next range trip!!!!
facepalm,.jpg

Reactions: xiholdtruex

·
Registered
572 Posts
Loaded up 49 , 223s today with 23.5gr of xterminator , the few I shot , shot well and cycled well. Measured all the case bases and just below the necks to make sure it was all within saami specs, and then after loading and crimping tested each one in the headspace gauge and all seem to be good. Next range day I will run these before loading more lol

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-13 at 9.32.53 PM.jpeg

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
After dealing with my brothers death for the past 3 weeks I have a real need to make a range trip.
After settling down this afternoon I loaded up another test load of 223. 20 rounds of 62gr Hornady over 23.8gr TAC loaded to 2 different lengths.

So now that makes 7 different loads to test. 2 different bullets, 2 different powders, 4 different lengths and 5 different powder charge weights.

Hopefully in the morning! I need to unload,,,, me too.

·
Registered
572 Posts
After dealing with my brothers death for the past 3 weeks I have a real need to make a range trip.
After settling down this afternoon I loaded up another test load of 223. 20 rounds of 62gr Hornady over 23.8gr TAC loaded to 2 different lengths.

So now that makes 7 different loads to test. 2 different bullets, 2 different powders, 4 different lengths and 5 different powder charge weights.

Hopefully in the morning! I need to unload,,,, me too.
Thats a tough one , my condolences.

Get to that range , unload and clear your mind there it seems to help alot of us in tough times.

·
Premium Member
11,232 Posts
50 rounds of 300BLK. I used the last of my Speer 125 gr HP over Hodgdon 110. A resupply of 30 cal (125 & 155) bullets on the way.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,181 Posts
Today I‘m loading the car. In preparation for the Nation High School Rodeo Association, regional qualifier, on Saturday. For which I will serve as CRSO.

Yes it will take me 2 days to load, I’ll still forget something I think is important AND not use 85% of what I pack.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Well that expected range trip fell through but I did get back into to room and primed 20 more 223 cases and then proceeded to load them up with some 55gr Hornady Varmint SP that the Axis surely did not like at any load level. These have 22.4gr of TAC and again loaded them to 2 differing lengths. Plan to shoot these in the Model 10 and see if they do any better.

Also just received my bullet order from Rocky Mountain Reloading. 500 62gr Hornady FMJBT and 500 69gr HP of their own design to try. Guys at The High Road forum are really impressed with these. So I need to shoot up what I've made so far and then start on these 69gr. ..

xiholdtruex thank you for the kind words. it has been a rough go and we still have a lot to do for his estate.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
572 Posts
This week on the reloading bench I got around to tumbling 800 cases of 223/556 and ended up buying some rcbs 223/556 small base dies. resized my last 50 or so pieces of brass with them. if anyone is curious here is the numbers vs the rcbs normal full length resizing die. small base resize right above the base to 0.372 and right below the neck to 0.350. The Full length rcbs dies size to 0.373 and 0.351. I dont have any lee sized brass but will do some to get a number for reference. definitely liking the rcbs dies so far.

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-17 at 9.56.25 AM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-04-17 at 9.56.24 AM(4).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-04-17 at 9.56.24 AM(3).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-04-17 at 9.56.24 AM(2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-04-17 at 9.56.24 AM(1).jpeg

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
37,012 Posts
If I can find the bench underneath all the other junk I will be loading 45 Colt.
My loading bench is cleared for more...it's the other benches which are the challenge. I have to move brass and loaded rounds just to find a surface to clean a gun. :unsure:

·
Registered
572 Posts
cleaned up some more brass last night and setup my depriming station and punched out about 600 40s/w cases to get rdy to tumble. All I have to say is wow the amount of crude that came out of just depriming. These shells were all wet tumbled before depriming and the ram is all gritty again.

Does anyone find there steel resizing rifle dies starting to rust after resizing ? let mine sit after resizing a few days and it started to rust around the vent hole. I figure I maybe the rounds were not completly dry and some alcohol may have wiped some of the lube off. So im just cleaning the sizing die after use now lol

My loading bench is cleared for more...it's the other benches which are the challenge. I have to move brass and loaded rounds just to find a surface to clean a gun. :unsure:
lol when my benches are full I just use the kitchen table and here my wife scream about the smell of hoppes or the balistol. Lately since I have been trying prolix it has been about it lol

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,181 Posts
.... All I have to say is wow the amount of crude that came out of just depriming. These shells were all wet tumbled before depriming and the ram is all gritty again.....
And this is why I use a Lee Universal Decapper, and a dedicated Single Stage Press, before I wet tumble with STM stainless pins. Said press was one that someone else was getting rid of because of a little slop in the ram. Works perfect for this nonprecision operation.

This way my reloading dies never come into contact with all that grit.

·
Registered
572 Posts
And this is why I use a Lee Universal Decapper, and a dedicated Single Stage Press, before I wet tumble with STM stainless pins. Said press was one that someone else was getting rid of because of a little slop in the ram. Works perfect for this nonprecision operation.

you were the reason I decided to set up this dedicated decapping station. I thought it was from the carbon but its definetly the primers lol little lee reloader with a lee universal decapping die

do you clean the press after depriming ? or do you have a range of decapping prior to cleaning again

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-18 at 11.56.06 AM.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
37,012 Posts

I also decap dry brass and then pin tumble it to make it nice for the re-sizing operation.

Of course I also pickup brass from inside ranges so there's no real dirt or sand involved.

·
Registered
36,669 Posts
Just a note for you SUZY STAY CLEAN reloaders---IF its made of steel, and IF you keep it spotless(no oil, graphite-etc,) then you can expect it to rust.
remember lots of that black stuff is graphite that is added to most powders for several reasons.
A perfectly clean, spotless resizing die makes for a harder process.

4041 - 4060 of 4084 Posts