Taurus Firearm Forum banner

4021 - 4040 of 4047 Posts

·
Registered
36,589 Posts
loaded another 200 rounds of 9 MM 115 grain coated projectiles, no bad news, kind of boring actually.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,116 Posts
loaded another 200 rounds of 9 MM 115 grain coated projectiles, no bad news, kind of boring actually.
You could take up smoking, that might make your reloading a little more exciting.

😂🤣😂

·
Super Moderator
36,772 Posts
and to think I used to suspect loading 9mm was like kissing your sister. Now those thousands of cases, primers and bullets are like gold.

·
Registered
541 Posts
atleast the are pretty like a bag of skittles lol

and to think I used to suspect loading 9mm was like kissing your sister. Now those thousands of cases, primers and bullets are like gold.
at the range they use to be like your picking up you 9mm brass ? and laugh. now everyone is hording it like its gold lol Makes me want a 9mm revolver lol

·
Registered
36,589 Posts
ahh yea but really exciting i understand IF you live in Alabama!!
1jx2t5.jpg

·
Registered
36,589 Posts
atleast the are pretty like a bag of skittles lol

at the range they use to be like your picking up you 9mm brass ? and laugh. now everyone is hording it like its gold lol Makes me want a 9mm revolver lol
ahh Yep!
just like the small primer 45 acp cases!
I gots hundreds and hundreds of them.
so who is laughing now?
alien object.jpg

Reactions: xiholdtruex

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
I had bought 9mm and .223 cases and bullets when they were practically giving them away. I was getting 2500 9mm for about $50 and 124gr jhp bullets for just under $100 shipped per 1k, now I can just keep on shooting like normal.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
resized 50 223 cases on a used lee classic cast I picked up, wow is all I have to say what a chunky press , the leverage was so much different and the press had 0 give to it. I think I am going to enjoy playing with this press lol
Every time I see a which press this one is at the top of my list followed by the Classic Cast Turret. If I hadn't gotten such a deal on my used RCBS JR3 press I would have found one of these.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Every time I see a which press this one is at the top of my list followed by the Classic Cast Turret. If I hadn't gotten such a deal on my used RCBS JR3 press I would have found one of these.
I tried to get a few diff RCBS Jr2 - 3/rs and people are bidding up to 120$ + shipping for them. Almost bought a lyman spartan but they were at $100 on ebay and wanted a O press.

I just kept looking till I found one in my price range. Its used but has minimal wear. I found it for 150$ with shipping and the hornady lock n load bushing.

I really wanted on of the rcbs jrs but at 120$ they had rust and the ram had some rust I had to do a hard pass.

That new lyman brass smith c press looks promising also, cast iron with compound linkage for the ram.

Compared this to the lee value turret us night and day on stiffness.

Im noy sure if the classic turret does this but when using the value when everytime a cartridge is pushed into the die there is a bit of play or slop with the turret and it will move up slightly. It works perfect all the same buy unsure if it was normal.

·
Super Moderator
36,772 Posts

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I just kept looking till I found one in my price range. Its used but has minimal wear. I found it for 150$ with shipping and the hornady lock n load bushing.

I really wanted on of the rcbs jrs but at 120$ they had rust and the ram had some rust I had to do a hard pass.

Compared this to the lee value turret us night and day on stiffness.

Im noy sure if the classic turret does this but when using the value when everytime a cartridge is pushed into the die there is a bit of play or slop with the turret and it will move up slightly. It works perfect all the same buy unsure if it was normal.
For a used press that one looks new. You did good!
The RCBS JR3 I have i paid $38.12 shipped on ebay but that was a few years ago. Before shipping fees got crazy.
I do have a Lee 3 hole turret and a Pro1000 press and yes they all do that.

·
Registered
541 Posts
resized 50 pieces of 223 with the lee die to compare it to the rcbs, and trimmed 100 pieces of brass . idk what it is about the lee vs the rcbs but I feel as if the rcbs has less hang up in the die like the operation is smoother. none the less enjoying my time on the bench.

·
Super Moderator
36,772 Posts
It's raining and storming in N. ILLinois the last couple of days. While we really needed the rain, my dog is less than happy about it. He is a hot mess when it even drizzles. One of the places he relaxes and feels safe is in the reloading room in the basement, which is good because it gives me an excuse to get down there and load some rounds. I've primed 200 of the 9 silly millimeter and will probably charge and top them off in the next day or so.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Resized another 100 pieces of brass and trimmed. Finally made it out to the range.
My carry gun seems to have a broken firing pin im not 100% sure but its not striking going to have to pull it apart.

Some of the 223 reloads I made from presized brass were not fully chambering and even with a crimp had one round push the bullet back into the case.

Shot 60 rounds of 223 reloads without a issue.
Looks like im pulling the bullets.

Has anyone re sized primed brass without the decapping pin inside ? Using a ammo gauge the ammo is not seating flush vs the factory ammo I checked.

Im more stressed than when I went lol

·
Super Moderator
36,772 Posts
I got my headspace gauges for 223 and 300 BLK a few days ago and I am depressed also. The 223 loaded rounds that I checked were good..so far.. YAY The 300 BLK loaded rounds, not so much. A failure rate of about 25%. Now I know why they were sticking in the chamber. I always cut the 223 brass on the long side thinking that the forming process would shorten them and the test pieces I did initially bore that out. Now I'm back to school, having to pull finished rounds and salvage components. It's probably the brass thickness or that it's not annealed before forming. Doing a scant bit of reading on the 300 BLK pages it seems that some brass will "spring back" and that the Lee die isn't for initial forming brass but rather reshaping once fired. Once I get the primers and bullets out of the failed rounds, I'll probably scrap those cases.

Reactions: xiholdtruex

·
Registered
541 Posts
I got my headspace gauges for 223 and 300 BLK a few days ago and I am depressed also. The 223 loaded rounds that I checked were good..so far.. YAY The 300 BLK loaded rounds, not so much. A failure rate of about 25%. Now I know why they were sticking in the chamber. I always cut the 223 brass on the long side thinking that the forming process would shorten them and the test pieces I did initially bore that out. Now I'm back to school, having to pull finished rounds and salvage components. It's probably the brass thickness or that it's not annealed before forming. Doing a scant bit of reading on the 300 BLK pages it seems that some brass will "spring back" and that the Lee die isn't for initial forming brass but rather reshaping once fired. Once I get the primers and bullets out of the failed rounds, I'll probably scrap those cases.

I too have been doing alot of research on 300blk reaizing and dies and for reforming it seems to be the rcbs short base dies are the best bang for the buck or the forsters resizing dies.

I feel your pain in dismantling components just did 70 with my step dad and a hammer puller
-.-

To add insult to injury I pulled apart my ec9s and it has a broken firing pin. Ruger is sending one out eta 10 bussiness days.

I pulled the pin from my rcbs 223 dies and im going to resize all this brass test in the gauge then reload it again. Had to dump the powder because I mixed 3 different bullets by accident during the range day.

20210409_154023.jpg
20210409_154037.jpg
20210409_153810.jpg
20210409_185842.jpg
20210409_150446.jpg
20210409_150441.jpg

·
Registered
541 Posts
@Czechbikr did you see this post during your research ? from the johnnys reloading bench video. it seems like sanding down the expander ball to rcbs specs helps.

FWIW Lee doesn't recommend forming 300blk with their dies. "The Lee 300AAC full length sizing die is designed to resize 300AAC cases to pre-fired dimensions. Lee rifle sizing dies do not size the fired case all the way back down to SAAMI minimum. Through experience Lee has found that the chambers of most guns are large enough and sizing the cases to minimum unnecessarily overworks the case and results in shortened case life. The 300AAC full length sizing die is often used to reform 223 or 556 cases to 300AAC cases. Results will vary when this is attempted because the Lee die is a sizing die and not a forming die. Forming dies have smaller dimensions to account for the increased spring back that is encountered when cases are formed. Forming die dimensions are at least at minimum SAAMI if not below. The amount of spring back also varies as a result of case wall thickness or hardness. So you will find that you may be able to reform some cases satisfactorily with a Lee sizing die and others not at all. Another factor that can come into play is the thickness of the case neck on reformed case. As you leave the neck area of the case and move into the shoulder and body side wall area the brass gradually thickens the closer to the case head you get. When you shorten the 223 or 556 case you begin to get into thicker metal and if it is too thick the loaded diameter of the cartridge neck can become too large and create chambering and live round ejection problems. Not to mention the possibility of dangerously high chamber pressures due to bullet pinch. Here is the process that seems to work with the greatest degree of success if you wish to attempt to reform cases with your Lee sizing die. Trim the cases and after lubing with Lee Resizing Lube size the cases in the full length die with the decapper/expander rod removed. After this first sizing re-lube the cases and size them one more time with the decapper/expander rod installed. This seems to work for many but not all cases. Hope this helps. Thanks, Peter Customer Service Lee Precision, Inc. 4275 Highway U Hartford, WI 53027 phone: 262-673-3075"

·
Registered
541 Posts
my reloading today consisted of resizing 168 rounds of diassembled 223 and wiping the lube and checking all of them in a headspace gauge. now they are all flush or almost flush. Going to try loading 30 rounds and taking it to the range once I decide what to do with my carry gun when the firing pin comes in.

4021 - 4040 of 4047 Posts