Taurus Firearm Forum banner

4001 - 4020 of 4047 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
put some work into some more 223 rounds loaded up some 223 to try out 50 rounds of ramshot tac toped off with a 55gr bullet on recommendation of a friend of a plinking load. also primed 50 more and found 50 already primed but not loaded in a ammo box yesterday lol
WhatsApp Image 2021-03-13 at 1.18.03 PM.jpeg

·
Registered
36,589 Posts
Received 3000 coated, 9 mm, 125g, cone bullets from MBC today @ 7.2¢ ea.
😁
Now if I could find primers at the same price.
😖

yes sir!
i started using the coated projectiles I guess about 6 months back or so?
mostly due to Berry, then Extreme being almost impossible to obtain, and both companies virtually no selections in the calibers that i load.
they have worked wonderfully for me in 9 MM, 38 Super, 10 MM and 45 acp and at half the price pf plated projectiles as well. I think cost for my 9 MM 115 & 125 are about 6 cents per projectile and shipping is only like 8.50 as well.

·
Administrator
35,508 Posts
I just got these from Missouri Bullet, I ordered them in November and here they are. I've got 500 more on order and I will be placing another order for 1,000 here soon. I've converted to MBC coated bullets and this will be the first batch of 9mm bullets that I run from them. Pictures of the actual bullets below, they are kind of a charcoal gray but who knows what color the next batch will be.

20210316_091841(1).jpg
20210316_091929.jpg

·
Registered
36,589 Posts
The cost savings for plated bullets is significant enough to where I've pretty much converted to MBC for all of my pistol target bullets.
yep!
I went form jacketed to plated and saved about 40% , then from plated to coated and saved about 50%, I was moving right along to almost free bullets then along came the panic buying/hoarding and everything went up if you can even find it.
hey but at least I don't have to read no mean tweets!
facepalm,.jpg

Reactions: texastaurusguy

·
Registered
36,589 Posts
I just got these from Missouri Bullet, I ordered them in November and here they are. I've got 500 more on order and I will be placing another order for 1,000 here soon. I've converted to MBC coated bullets and this will be the first batch of 9mm bullets that I run from them. Pictures of the actual bullets below, they are kind of a charcoal gray but who knows what color the next batch will be.
Mines prettier and i bet they taste better as well!!--Na-na-na-nana!
Holiday bakery -2.JPG

Reactions: texastaurusguy

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,116 Posts
Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
36,589 Posts
Reactions: william

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
put some work into some more 223 rounds loaded up some 223 to try out 50 rounds of ramshot tac toped off with a 55gr bullet on recommendation of a friend of a plinking load.
Started off with a load of TAC and 55gr bullets, they did alright but I soon learned my rifle with a 1:9 twist liked heavier 62gr bullets. I really do like that TAC powder.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Started off with a load of TAC and 55gr bullets, they did alright but I soon learned my rifle with a 1:9 twist liked heavier 62gr bullets. I really do like that TAC powder.
I have been wanting to try some other weights but they seem to be sold out everywhere for now ...... my rifle is 1:7 twist. Hope to get a few cast molds this year to see how it runs through the ar in 65 gr and 75 gr from mp molds hopefully

·
Registered
541 Posts
today I resized /deprimed 200 40s&w cases, had a few of them with flash hole issues that kept pushing my depriming rod out, set them aside and inspected with a flash light and the had some burs. its a first for me atleast. planning to load these up with unique, hp-38, true blue and silhoutte with 180gr cast bullets to see if I can find a load I like. if anyone has any good loads they use in 40s&w im all ears.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I cast and reload the 40 Smith & Wesson in all bullet sizes
With my Lee 175 gr mold mine drop at 184 , I shoot the 184 out of a TH40c to make it a easier shooter .
I use HP-38 at 4.4 grains and 4.8 ,I have not chronograph them yet but 4.4 should be about 875 fps and the 4.8 should be around 925 fps .
Those two loads really calm down the TH40c with the 3 1/2 barrel and narrow grip
I usually shoot much stronger loads in the 40 S&W in other pistols

·
Registered
541 Posts
today was straight processing, after a stuck case yesterday increased my lube today and went through 500 or so 223 cases on the lee reloader. this little press is a beast. combined with the lee bench plate there is 0 give. bent the pin yesterday when extracting the case on my resizing die luckily had a extra on hand to keep going and ordered 3 more for back up.
WhatsApp Image 2021-03-23 at 7.50.27 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-03-23 at 7.50.27 PM(1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-03-23 at 7.50.28 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-03-23 at 7.50.28 PM(1).jpeg

·
Administrator
35,508 Posts
I'm using HP-38 for 180 gr. flatpoint loads that are going around 950 fps. I load the Hornady XTP hollowpoints with Longshot and they're travelling between 1,150 and 1,200 fps. I only have a couple of pounds of Longshot, so that's why I save it for the hollowpoints. I have much more HP-38 and I like it for target loads.

·
Registered
36,589 Posts
today was straight processing, after a stuck case yesterday increased my lube today and went through 500 or so 223 cases on the lee reloader. this little press is a beast. combined with the lee bench plate there is 0 give. bent the pin yesterday when extracting the case on my resizing die luckily had a extra on hand to keep going and ordered 3 more for back up.
yep! always keep extra de-capping pins, both for pistol and rifle, its like keeping an extra Extractor for a 1911 IF you own one. Murphys law they will break as soon as they figure out you ain't got an extra!

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
For years now I have been reading about this stuck case phenomenon and never experienced it as all I was reloading were pistol cases. That was until I started with this 223 so I was fully aware of the issue.

I did then as I do now still wonder how anyone can stick a case w/o actually trying. I am using a simple single stage press like you are. One that does not implement compound leverage. I am using the Hornady Universal case lube and apply it singly to each case one at a time. these 223 cases slide in and out just like pistol brass. Since I have started 223 brass I have run across 3 cases that got very tight going into the sizing die. With these I do not force it I back it out and toss it. A 10c pc. of brass isn't worth the time and effort fighting to remove a stuck case. It certainly isn't worth destroying a sizing die either.

This view and comment is not directed at you but more as just a viewpoint on stuck cases. Now I'm going to go knock 6 times on my wood workbench!

Reactions: xiholdtruex

·
Registered
541 Posts
For years now I have been reading about this stuck case phenomenon and never experienced it as all I was reloading were pistol cases. That was until I started with this 223 so I was fully aware of the issue.

I did then as I do now still wonder how anyone can stick a case w/o actually trying. I am using a simple single stage press like you are. One that does not implement compound leverage. I am using the Hornady Universal case lube and apply it singly to each case one at a time. these 223 cases slide in and out just like pistol brass. Since I have started 223 brass I have run across 3 cases that got very tight going into the sizing die. With these I do not force it I back it out and toss it. A 10c pc. of brass isn't worth the time and effort fighting to remove a stuck case. It certainly isn't worth destroying a sizing die either.

This view and comment is not directed at you but more as just a viewpoint on stuck cases. Now I'm going to go knock 6 times on my wood workbench!
lol

I love this forum of all the ones I visit because the people I have found on here tend to give good constructive criticism all is welcome lol

that is exactly what I have experienced, at first I did not know what to expect with the 223 brass as my first 200 cases were pre sized before I recieved them. Now after sticking one case and destroying the pin. I have figured out the right amount of lube on them they size as easily as pistol brass like you said. its all a learning curve. And any brass thats hard or has any questionable signs on it gets tossed into the bag of rejects.

For a min I thought I may need a stronger press then realized it was the lube issue causing me to force the brass in.

on another note trimmed and de burred and chamfered 100 cases tonight. was looking into getting the WFT trimmer has anyone used it?

·
Super Moderator
36,772 Posts
It can be a fine line since too much lube can both gum up the die and also dimple the shoulder of the case. I use Lee case lube mixed with isopropyl alcohol spritzed over the cases in a bag. I've gotten into sticking trouble when I mix it with too little lube in the spray bottle.

·
Registered
541 Posts
This weekend as trimming weekend lol, trimmed, debur and chamfer 250 cases, my lee trimming took seems to be dulling and sometimes wont trim easily. ordered in a new trimmer. with as low as I have my reloading chair my knees are starting to hurt, thinking of a affordable way to raise the press a bit before bitting the bullet and buying a inline fabrication riser.was thinking maybe some stacked 2x4s I have a bunch in the garage from a previous project, maybe some stacked 3/4 inch ply but it would in the end be similar to the cost of the inline riser or raising the legs under than stand itself,any ideas are welcome.

It can be a fine line since too much lube can both gum up the die and also dimple the shoulder of the case. I use Lee case lube mixed with isopropyl alcohol spritzed over the cases in a bag. I've gotten into sticking trouble when I mix it with too little lube in the spray bottle.
I am thinking of giving this a shot was just reading it could be diluted with alcohol to be used in a spray 10-1 or 8-1. ordered some lanolin oil to try that also to see which one works out. Im not a fan of lanolin due to the fact I would have to clean the cases again after resizing to get it off. some people with dillons were saying you dont have to but I dont trust oil and powder or primers to much.

4001 - 4020 of 4047 Posts