Taurus Firearm Forum banner

3981 - 4000 of 4047 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Have not made it to the range since jan 2020 :( I have about 50 loads I need to test for 223 with tac, xterminator and winchester 748 to see what functions best for my ar15 before I can lod up more. but I processed around another 50 cases last night and ordered a primer pocket swager and 1000 rds of once fired brass Im going to need to process lol I need to get out to the range ......... still have yet to size or deprime any 223 so I am excited lol its all cleaning, trimming,, priming, loading so far

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Just loaded my last 119 pieces of 357 brass. 158 gr Brazos SWC over some Longshot.

Reactions: texastaurusguy

·
Super Moderator
36,772 Posts
Have not made it to the range since jan 2020 :( I have about 50 loads I need to test for 223 with tac, xterminator and winchester 748 to see what functions best for my ar15 before I can lod up more. but I processed around another 50 cases last night and ordered a primer pocket swager and 1000 rds of once fired brass Im going to need to process lol I need to get out to the range ......... still have yet to size or deprime any 223 so I am excited lol its all cleaning, trimming,, priming, loading so far
View attachment 476983
Remember we have a thread for swapping brass. You can get a new caliber just for the cost of a USPS box.

If anyone needs 9mm cases, let me know.

·
Super Moderator
36,772 Posts
Speaking of not getting to the range, I am getting short of empty cases to load also. Plenty are loaded and need to be emptied.

I just started my first ever mixed load of brass in the tumbler. Loaded a couple of hundred 380 Auto with 200 or so 38 Special. Should be simple to sort those, I held off including the 357 Magnum.

·
Administrator
35,508 Posts
This is one of the joys of reloading for me. My buddy and I decided to go for a pistol range trip yesterday and I took along my 45 acp pistols, my Taurus 1911 ALR and my Springfield XD Mod2. I had always had an issue with lead reloads in the Springfield, I haven't bored the barrel but I suspect it's a very tight barrel and chamber. I was having all kinds of issues with that gun and lead bullets. Last year I decided to standardize on the Missouri Bullet 200 gr. LRNFP and make this bullet work with the Springfield. After much experimentation and trial, I got the load working great from the Springfield. I confirmed that on Saturday when I took a couple hundred of them to the range with me. They fed flawlessly from the Springfield, no jams, no stuck cartridges in the chamber, everything is working perfectly and I'm really happy with the results. As far as the Taurus goes.....it eats anything you feed it.

The first pic is the Taurus and the second is the Springfield with the ammo I mentioned. 9 yards, indoor range.

20210227_160059.jpg
20210227_160110.jpg

·
Super Moderator
36,772 Posts
That got the job done!

Reactions: xiholdtruex

·
Registered
36,589 Posts
loaded 200 rounds of thirty ate thupper with 125 grain Truncated point coated projectiles.
I load these coated projectiles just like plated or jacketed projectiles and they do great.
cost is about half (or less0 than plated projectiles and I can actually get them, although the post office isn't helping as they have had a shipped order in one of their facilities now for 10 days.
Simpsons-Angry-Mob.png

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
That XD seems to be shooting fine to me. We have been shooting hand cast 225gr .452" RN from a Lyman mold using range scrap lead.

·
Registered
541 Posts
put in some work wet tumbling some cases prior to processing, after cleaning all my dies the last time from all the residual grit and carbon on them wet tumbling it is prior to touching any of my presses. resized some 223 brass also hopefully will get my new bench within the next few weeks to process all this brass these short frankford arsenal stands are killing me lol
WhatsApp Image 2021-03-02 at 6.43.08 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-03-02 at 6.43.08 PM(1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-03-02 at 6.43.08 PM(2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-03-02 at 6.43.09 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-28 at 6.44.07 AM.jpeg

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
4 lbs of Lil' Gun showed up today and I just happened to have some cleaned and sized 44 Magnum cases on the ready. So this evening.................................

·
Registered
36,589 Posts
Well Uncle joes Post Office FINALLY decided to deliver my projectile order yesterday so I loaded 200 rounds of 300 Blackout with 200 grain coated R/N projectiles at sub sonic.
Sure am glad and lucky we didn't have the Zombie outbreak as it took the Post Office 12 days to deliver a 2 dat Priority mail package from Kalifornia.

·
Super Moderator
36,772 Posts
Loaded 50 rounds of 223 with 55g hornady at 2.228 col I had a mini heart attack when I remeasure and thoughy I had seated them tl 2.280 lol trying some xterminator at 23.5gr after a recommendation from a few friends the powder measures beautifully like true blue.

View attachment 477438 View attachment 477439
I'm into my run of 223 with 100 in the bin, will probably do another 200. Too long is a minor issue since you can just set them a tad deeper. Too short is the disaster and an exercise in bullet pulling frustration.

·
Registered
541 Posts
one thing I also noticed when loading this batch is I had to adjust the frankford arsenal swager because I felt the primers going in to smoothly lol when I was priming I would tap it on the table to see if the primer would fall out. my ocd was killing me. I adjusted it a little and swaged 10 more casings and primed and it had more resistance I am use to. do you ever notice when swaging the primers go in smoother?

·
Administrator
35,508 Posts
one thing I also noticed when loading this batch is I had to adjust the frankford arsenal swager because I felt the primers going in to smoothly lol when I was priming I would tap it on the table to see if the primer would fall out. my ocd was killing me. I adjusted it a little and swaged 10 more casings and primed and it had more resistance I am use to. do you ever notice when swaging the primers go in smoother?
I'm guessing that you are talking about 223 brass? When I started loading 223 I didn't have much idea about how important the primer pocket is to the overall success of reloading that caliber. I would run it through the primer pocket sizer on my Lyman case prep center and that was it. Then, I had a boom when I was loading a primer into a 223 case that was too small. Nothing like almost crapping your drawers to get you to do some research on exactly what you need to do to the primer pocket on a 223 round. :D

I set mine up where after I swage the primer pocket, there is resistance, but not a lot. Just enough to where I know the primer isn't going to fall out. I really don't think you can overdo the swage with that tool because it should be set up to replicate a new case's primer pocket and not more than that. Do what feels right for you.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm guessing that you are talking about 223 brass? When I started loading 223 I didn't have much idea about how important the primer pocket is to the overall success of reloading that caliber. I would run it through the primer pocket sizer on my Lyman case prep center and that was it. Then, I had a boom when I was loading a primer into a 223 case that was too small. Nothing like almost crapping your drawers to get you to do some research on exactly what you need to do to the primer pocket on a 223 round. :D

I set mine up where after I swage the primer pocket, there is resistance, but not a lot. Just enough to where I know the primer isn't going to fall out. I really don't think you can overdo the swage with that tool because it should be set up to replicate a new case's primer pocket and not more than that. Do what feels right for you.
That is exactly what I do , I set the swage for the primer pocket to have the same resistance as when I am priming 357 brass lol its smooth and when I tap it on the table it stays in.

·
Registered
541 Posts
tonight was a brass processing night, resized and depremined 100 223 cases, trimed 50, swaged and primed 10. I really need to get out to the range it has been a year and 2 months now lol

·
Registered
541 Posts
today looks like its triming day, just trimed , chamfered and deburred about 50 more pieces of 223, going to clean and lube my smaller lee md press and setup a set of 40 sw dies on some breechlock fittings to put in some work. My Dad has had the same bullets in his 40 s&w for 10 years now lol So when I go to the range im going to run it through its paces......

·
Premium Member
11,200 Posts
I'll be reloading .357 and 9mm to restock what I used at the range this week.
125 gr. coated bullets for the .357, and 124 gr. HPs for the 9mm.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,116 Posts
Received 3000 coated, 9 mm, 125g, cone bullets from MBC today @ 7.2¢ ea.
😁
Now if I could find primers at the same price.
😖

3981 - 4000 of 4047 Posts