Taurus Firearm Forum banner

3961 - 3978 of 3978 Posts

·
Registered
36,452 Posts
Finished 300 of the 9mm and set up for 38 Special with Berry's 158 grain PFN. Broke out the 700X that I bought at Cabela's. Can't remember if it was on sale or stock was dwindling but this was probably a year ago. I couldn't get an internet signal in the store to check and called kwb1954 to ask him to look at applications. He saw it was good with some pistol loads and that metering was sometimes difficult. I bought two pounds. The metering issue is real and in the deep 38 Special case it's a real PITA. I'm just wanting to turn out target rounds so a .10 of a grain one way or the other isn't an issue, but when I'm looking to drop 3.5 grains and it's providing a charge that might not clear the barrel it becomes a real issue. I made maybe ten rounds and switched to Universal to finish off the hundred.

My next plan is to use the 700X for 45 ACP so I can see if the drop looks look each time.

May be time to break out the old Lee dippers or make you one from a cartridge case, sometimes thats just easier than trying to mess with a powder dispenser with some powders.
Bang--bang-bank--pop---pssst!--LOL

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
36,452 Posts
got 200 small primer 45 acp cases sitting waiting on me to go to the press.
230 R/N--old school!!

·
Super Moderator
36,378 Posts
got 200 small primer 45 acp cases sitting waiting on me to go to the press.
230 R/N--old school!!
You knew that you were saving those SPP 45 cases for something, eh?

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
36,452 Posts
You knew that you were saving those SPP 45 cases for something, eh?
XACTLY--in a land far , far away many years ago I was saving and picking them up while many others were cussing them!--GriiiN.

Reactions: Czechbikr and oso

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,013 Posts
It was 5º this morning, I'm cleaning brass. I started with 5 two pound coffee cans of mixed 9, 380, 38 spl, 357 mag, and 223/5.56 brass several posts ago. This morning I started on the last can.

Note to self: separate the 223/5.56 from the rest. As the 223/5.56 WILL nest with 9 or 38/357 and then you have pins in the dryer and dirty brass to return to the tumbler.

(now it I can just remember where I wrote the note)
🥺

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
36,452 Posts
I also have quite a few .45acp SPP cases
I got I imagine 1000 or so, you know just in case of hard times---like NOW!
when I got a lot more spp than lpp in stock.

Reactions: oso and Czechbikr

·
Registered
3,845 Posts

Working on sizing that 500pcs of Once Fired Fiocchi brass that was given to me. That is box/tray #4 with just 6 more to do.

That little RCBS JR3 press also fits the bill for doing this. W/O the huge compound leverage and the shorter O of this press it easily handles the 223 brass with just enough leverage to not worry about sticking a case. If I need to force the handle that hard then I just stop and toss that case. Brass is cheap, dies are not.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
My last pieces of new brass for some warm loads.

·
Super Moderator
36,378 Posts
^^ Those are very pretty!

Reactions: MoKen

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Up late last night, not sleeping well so I went to the bench and loaded up some more new 223 rounds to try out. Staying with the TAC powder I loaded 6 ea. of some Hornady 68gr HPBT Match over 22.6, 22.9, 23.1 and 23.5gr... See how these preform the Western data show 22.1 - 24.4 as the spread from start to max.

Once again I will be shooting these into two three shot groups into two separate targets and then overlay them into a composite picture.

Reactions: Czechbikr and MoKen

·
Super Moderator
36,378 Posts
I'm getting the itch to load some 223 also.

Reactions: kmw1954

·
Registered
14,905 Posts
I looked at my Hornady's 10th edition. Gotta pull out the Dillon presses for their cleaning and oiling today.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,378 Posts
I hear McMiller calling, listen carefully and you will hear it too!
When this 16" of snow melts hip boots will be required to change targets.

·
Administrator
35,401 Posts
I'm getting the itch to load some 223 also.
Filled up my green 50 cal army can with 1,200 rounds of 223, I started working on another green can but stopped when the weather went to crap. It was 70 today, so I am ready to start back up and fill this 2nd can up.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
When this 16" of snow melts hip boots will be required to change targets.
I'm thinking by next weekend if this warms as foretold we may need rowboats.

3961 - 3978 of 3978 Posts