Taurus Firearm Forum banner

3921 - 3940 of 3978 Posts

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Not loading but actually unloading, decommissioning. received a huge bundle of assorted range scrap and had already sorted out the large rifle rounds from the 223 from all the pistol rounds.

Today I spent the afternoon and evening breaking down some of this 223/5.56. Some are missfires, some are setbacks to where the bullet is inside the case and there is no powder left. Others look like jambs or cleared ejections that were lost in the dirt while others had severely dented or deformed cases.

Anyways so far right now I have 200 recovered bullets and 92 reclaimed primers and am only about 1/2 way thru.. Now to get a 30cal collet and a 35 cal collet so I can pull all that other scrap.

Plan for now is to use the bulled bullets and primers as practice range fodder in the 223 just to get cheap trigger time. The scrap powder will be going to my pyro son-in-law fire fighter for a proper disposal.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,013 Posts
Just finished prepping 2,030 Blazer 9mm cases.
😓
Now all I need to do is find primers, powder and projectiles.
:unsure:

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,013 Posts
Yes, but it sure is nice having the brass ready to go, isn't it?
This is true

Primers at my leisure as I ignore the NFL

Then

Powder, Bullet

Powder, Bullet

Powder, Bullet

🤯

·
Registered
36,452 Posts
I loaded up 300 rounds of 38 thupper with the 125 GR truncated point coated projectiles yesterday.
ran a group of 50 about a week or so ago to test, they performed great.
loaded them at the same powder level, same primers, oal etc as the Plated projectiles.

·
Registered
161 Posts
No new loads but I finished depriming and sizing just over 1000 of 380 ACP. Numerous headstamps, but majority were WIN, FC, Aguila, CBC, and REM. Wish they'd pick up more Starline. Still don't have enough to load a full ammo box.

Waiting on a USPS shipment of 125gr Copper projectiles for my 300 BO. Pins and needles watching the shipment get close...made it to Cincinnati (50 miles away) before heading up to Oak Creek, WI. Hey Kevin...is that anywhere near you? Did you re-route my bullets so I'd pay you a visit?

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Mark, Oak Creek is about 45min from me. It's about 20 min south of the Milwaukee airport.

Reactions: markr6754

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Not back to it yet but just ordered 8# of Ramshot TAC and 3# of Accurate 2460 from Powder Valley. Now that I have a good supply of TAC I will be continuing my 223 load ladder with it. Also just received a confirmation that My order of 500 Hornady 62gr FMJBT just shipped from MidSouth.

So it's back to work on this ladder.

·
Registered
161 Posts
So...I ordered my first Hi-Tek coated lead from Summit City Bullets - 124gr RN. High praise from 76 Highboy Reloading on the tube, so I gave it a go. I have always loaded and shot jacketed or plated, and recently, Frangible. Neve lead, powder coated lead or Hi-Tek coated lead.

First impressions...well, that sucks.

First, I have never had to expand 9mm cases that much. I actually ran out of room with my Lyman expander die, which is a stepped expander. I had to resize all of them again using my Hornady dies after shaving the first three bullets.

Second, they weren't inexpensive, they were just "available". At 13.6c each I could easily order jacket OR plated, and just wait on delivery. In fact, Everglades ammo has 9mm and 380 ACP in stock, so I placed a new order.

Third, after seating to 1.075" (shortest ever for me in a RN bullet, they only plunk in one barrel...my Kimber Micro 9. They pass my Lyman ammo checker, but not my Lyman or my Shooter's Box ammo gauges. I was convinced that my Honor Guard proof barrel wouldn't plunk...it's very tight...but I thought my Hellcat would...alas, no. My Beretta eats anything, so I didn't even try it, but I will before shooting, as well as my G2C.

Fourth, they are quite lumpy...I thought that these bullets were swaged or resized after coating, but if they are, it's not an effective process. Though I'm exaggerating a bit, the texture is more like a Chicken Nugget, smooth, but uneven.

I only loaded 50 rounds over 700-X. I didn't bother with a ladder as these are not loaded to max, and my experience with 700-X is that it tends to run soft, but thermally hot.

Anyone else with coated experience have any feedback?

·
Administrator
35,401 Posts
The only experience I have with coated bullets is Missouri Bullet Co., their bullets are very evenly coated and pretty smooth. I've never had any that had the texture of a chicken nugget, that's for sure. I love the ones I order, they are much cheaper than even Xtreme bullets and once you figure out your perfect loading, are a pleasure to use.

·
Administrator
39,884 Posts
The only experience I have with coated bullets is Missouri Bullet Co., their bullets are very evenly coated and pretty smooth. I've never had any that had the texture of a chicken nugget, that's for sure. I love the ones I order, they are much cheaper than even Xtreme bullets and once you figure out your perfect loading, are a pleasure to use.
Same here. Only thing is, these coated bullets are slicker than snot. Takes a little bit to get used to handling them.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Well...I have to update my previous post...the cost to ME is 13.6c each. What I paid for, however, should have run me 6.8c each. I had to go back and review my order very carefully....it appears I was shorted 1000 bullets on my order. They price things funny...$35 for 500, add $33 for 1000. So I ordered 2 boxes of "Add $33 for 1000", but they shipped one box of 1000 as noted on my packing slip.
Call placed, we'll see how quickly they respond. On a positive note, I actually received this order. I have a box of 750 125gr .308 projectiles AND its replacement stranded within the USPS. Add to that a box of mixed brass that I bought from a MeWe member. Shipped from Ft. Wayne a few days ago, 2 day express...and no update since it hit Louisville 2 days ago.

·
Registered
36,452 Posts
well I have tried coated projectiles from eggleston in 300 Blackout(200 GR R/N) 115 & 124 in 9 MM, 160 gr swc in 10 MM, and 220 swc and 230 Rn in 45acp.
all are really quite nice, the only small problem child is the 30 cal for the 300 BO, they are flat bottomed and so you really have to be careful not to scrap some of the coating off, I am going to order a lee neck expander die to eliminate this problem.
anyway the other standard pistol caliber projectiles I can't imagine being much better/I Ioad them exactly like i do the plated projectiles and jacketed projectiles and they are accurate, clean and trouble free in my weapons. and they run about half the price of plated projectiles.
the only down side is keeping them in stock at the company.
here is the last batch that i cooked up!---Griin
note--this was sample packs that come in assorted colors, the regular order come in a single color of your choice.
Holiday bakery -2.JPG

·
Registered
379 Posts
loaded 16, 223 rounds, why so many? trying to come up with a new coyote round using Nosler 55gr ballistic tip boat tail and BLC (2). 4 different loads of 4 to see which is the most accurate and then go from there.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
loaded 16, 223 rounds, why so many? trying to come up with a new coyote round using Nosler 55gr ballistic tip boat tail and BLC (2). 4 different loads of 4 to see which is the most accurate and then go from there.
I've working a 223 load with 62gr bullets and TAC. I've been loading 12 rounds in 3 grain increments and then firing is four 3 round groups. Shooting 3 of each weight at one target and then going back and repeating the 3 shots at the same target for a total of 6 shots on each target, Then I replace target with a clean one and repeat the shots.

Then when that is finished I have a small spotlight that I can overlay both targets and see the holes superimposed from both targets. So that amounts to 12 shot group yet not 12 shots all in a row.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Do these bullets look different from other coated lead bullets? While the coating feels slick, they are lumpy, all of the visual imperfections you see in the photo can be felt. Even with an exaggerated expansion, these nubs get shaved as the brass closes on seating. The remnant falls right off, but now I’m dropping raw lead particles on my hands, press, and bench.

·
Registered
36,452 Posts
Do these bullets look different from other coated lead bullets? While the coating feels slick, they are lumpy, all of the visual imperfections you see in the photo can be felt. Even with an exaggerated expansion, these nubs get shaved as the brass closes on seating. The remnant falls right off, but now I’m dropping raw lead particles on my hands, press, and bench.
View attachment 475003
well can't speak for all the other coated projectiles but the Eggleston that i use aren't anything like this, they are smooth, wrinkle proof, and slick.
looks like the coating was contaminated with something on those??

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
161 Posts
The proprietor of Summit City bullets is quite angry that I posted on a forum about his product. The good thing about that is that he's passionate about his product. The bad thing about that is his passion is leading in a quite inappropriate direction. My intent was to get advice and counsel on my reloading challenges, not to stir up ire and animosity in a 2A product provider.

I know that this is an open thread, so it can't be closed, but I'd appreciate if there were no further responses. I'll keep the matter close to my chest for now.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Mark I say let him be angry. That comes with being in business. Inappropriate language or accusations is not acceptable for any reason. Especially from a business owner. Makes no difference how passionate they are about their product. If he has treated you that way how has he treated others that were not happy with his product? History show businesses with that attitude towards their customer base do not stay in business very long.

They have made it to my "Do not buy from" list.

3921 - 3940 of 3978 Posts