Taurus Firearm Forum banner

3601 - 3620 of 3891 Posts

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
finished loading up 50 9mm rounds with 147gr berrys hhp on top of cfe pistol powder. Does anyone else load these bullets?
Nope! I pretty much stick with 115 grain for 9 MM, and 124 grain for 38 Super.
there are of course a few cross overs but never load the 147 grainers myself.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Just completed 130 38+p and 110 357 magnum

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
Ran 100 rounds of 556 with 55 grain Copper Boat tails and 100 rounds of 300 Blackout with 220 grain Plated spire points yesterday.
no loading today I don't think.

Reactions: GreenWolf70

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Today it is 380 Auto; using obsolete and long out of production 88 gr. JHP by Remington, over Accurate #2 powder using Lee dies and primed with the old, round tray Lee Auto Prime. These are for use in S&W 380 EZ.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Guesser, looks like fun.
Been loading for that same gun and a Witness Pavona. Mostly using 100gr plated Xtreme with either Silhouette or #2. As of late I have loaded some cast lead RN for the 380 and it has been a lot of fun.

Reactions: guesser

·
Registered
467 Posts
Guesser, looks like fun.
Been loading for that same gun and a Witness Pavona. Mostly using 100gr plated Xtreme with either Silhouette or #2. As of late I have loaded some cast lead RN for the 380 and it has been a lot of fun.
Today it is 380 Auto; using obsolete and long out of production 88 gr. JHP by Remington, over Accurate #2 powder using Lee dies and primed with the old, round tray Lee Auto Prime. These are for use in S&W 380 EZ.
How do you like the 380 ez. Was thinking of picking one up for me and the wife.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
I really like it. Nice size, weight, accurate. Daughter and SIL also each bought one. Yes I would buy it again.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
How do you like the 380 ez. Was thinking of picking one up for me and the wife.
MY OPINION!!
A great choice for the 380.
a bit large as compared to other 380 but certainly everyone that I have shot as well as 3-4 that I have recommended to ladies and older folks have loved them and not one problem with any of them.
I would mention that you may want to look at the new 9 MM EZ thee have out now just for comparison.
also they come either with or without a thumb safety.

·
Super Moderator
35,568 Posts
Making sure the Rossi 92 and the 605 don't go hungry...tumbling and loading the 158 grain PFN.

IMG_20191217_100244858.jpg

IMG_20191217_100142982.jpg

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Good luck, most of the load data you find online will be for a 16" barrel. I had to adjust the load up considerably for my 8.5" barrel. Subsonic data for a 208 grain A-Max was 8.2 grains for Lil Gun and 9.2 grains for W296. I ended up with 9.5 grains of Lil Gun and 10.0 grains of W296 without cracking the sound barrier. For what it is worth, I went with the W296 load because it was quieter and just felt like it had a bit more pressure to it. Pressure you will find out is probably one of the more important issues, just to get the rifle to cycle reliably.

I'll be interested in what you develop for the Hornady 225 as I have about a thousand of those. For now I am still working on the 208 grain A-Max and Nosler 220 grain HPBT. I picked up lots of the 208 grain A-Max bullets when Hornady had their big discovery about melting plastic tips and starting discounting the price of the A-Max. I also picked up 500 of the Berrys 220 grain plated spitzer since they were cheap.

One of my neighbors has a silencer for his .300 Blackout and he is getting near Hollywood quiet out of it with his sub loads, much quieter than my pellet rifle. At the moment I like my subs without a silencer, but it is an intriguing idea for hunting.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Good luck, most of the load data you find online will be for a 16" barrel. I had to adjust the load up considerably for my 8.5" barrel. Subsonic data for a 208 grain A-Max was 8.2 grains for Lil Gun and 9.2 grains for W296. I ended up with 9.5 grains of Lil Gun and 10.0 grains of W296 without cracking the sound barrier. For what it is worth, I went with the W296 load because it was quieter and just felt like it had a bit more pressure to it. Pressure you will find out is probably one of the more important issues, just to get the rifle to cycle reliably.

I'll be interested in what you develop for the Hornady 225 as I have about a thousand of those. For now I am still working on the 208 grain A-Max and Nosler 220 grain HPBT. I picked up lots of the 208 grain A-Max bullets when Hornady had their big discovery about melting plastic tips and starting discounting the price of the A-Max. I also picked up 500 of the Berrys 220 grain plated spitzer since they were cheap.

One of my neighbors has a silencer for his .300 Blackout and he is getting near Hollywood quiet out of it with his sub loads, much quieter than my pellet rifle. At the moment I like my subs without a silencer, but it is an intriguing idea for hunting.
I'll let you know what I figure out. I think I'm on the right track with my lil gun load. I actually had the opposite experience you had, I'm having to work back from recommended to get out of the supersonic loads. But if not, I've got h110, h4227 h4198 I can try.

If you get into hunting with subs look seriously at Maker bullets. I see guys whacking deer of all sizes lobbing Maker bullets at them. They aren't cheap, but they seem to just work.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
35,568 Posts
Loaded up 50 9mm with ramshot silhoutte and 124gr everglades ammo hollow points. Ramshot silhoutte metered well and reminds me of a finer hp38 inbetween true blue and hp38. Cant wait to try these out.
I've never loaded SD ammo but want to get into the process. My last order for plated bullets was from them and I may order some FMJHP to tag along on the next shipment. Let me know your impressions if you fire any to check expansion!

·
Registered
467 Posts
I've never loaded SD ammo but want to get into the process. My last order for plated bullets was from them and I may order some FMJHP to tag along on the next shipment. Let me know your impressions if you fire any to check expansion!
So I made my choice based on a western powder blog post by one of our members @57k he tested a bunch of 124 and 147gr everglades ammo hp. Going to check out a range soon which supposibly allows chronographs and water testing for expansion if I get a chance to do so will definetly post up. But here is the link and pictures @57k got when he did his testing.

A New Contender for the Heavyweight Crown? « Western Powders

Attachments

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Loaded 15 of my choice carry round, 357 magnum 125 gr Fmjhp over W296, 50 158 gr fmjhp 357 mag over 296 and 75 reduced 357 rounds for the wife using Powerbond 125 gr plated hollow points over some CFE Pistol.

·
Supporting Moderator
14,836 Posts
TODAY? You want to know what was loaded today?

My wife loaded the table.

I loaded my gut

and then loaded the Laz-e-boy.

Later I will load a pie plate with chocolate cheesecake pecan pie

and even later I will waddle to the bed room and load the bed.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
More 9mm. A while back bought 2,000 Xtreme 124gr. Half way through it. Reloading them and shooting them should keep me busy for a while

3601 - 3620 of 3891 Posts