Taurus Firearm Forum banner

3581 - 3600 of 3885 Posts

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Loaded up 20 newly cast 200gr LSWC from the Lee mold I recently acquired. Loaded these up as cast, tumble lubed, using R-P brass. S&B LPP, 4.6gr of HP-38 @ 1.235" Hodgdon stated a start load of 4.4gr and a max of 5.6gr.. The 4.6gr is what was being dropped by my Lee Auto Disk #43 cavity. Later I will change the disk and see what the #46 cavity drops.

Reactions: xiholdtruex

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I finished testing on my 9mm 124gr Extreme/W231 using Speer TMJ data(recommended by Extreme), and have 2 loads worked out. One reduced recoil load(for the Mrs), and one pushing slightly shy of 1K on the Chrony. Taking advantage of a 4-day weekend to get one worked up for the .45, as the few starting loads I tested wouldn't cycle the slide on my Springfield. :icon_ rofl:

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I finished testing on my 9mm 124gr Extreme/W231 using Speer TMJ data(recommended by Extreme), and have 2 loads worked out. One reduced recoil load(for the Mrs), and one pushing slightly shy of 1K on the Chrony. Taking advantage of a 4-day weekend to get one worked up for the .45, as the few starting loads I tested wouldn't cycle the slide on my Springfield. :icon_ rofl:
I have used Xtreme and Berry's plated bullets in both the 9mm and the 45acp. What loads did you come up with?

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I have used Xtreme and Berry's plated bullets in both the 9mm and the 45acp. What loads did you come up with?

4.2gr for the reduced recoil(pushing average 850FPS), and 4.4gr for most accurate(pushing average 950FPS) out of a G17. COAL was set to 1.151" +/- .002. I loaded a few at 4.5gr(Max listed for Speer), and it pushed an average of 998FPS. I checked my brass on the last ones, and no deformation on the primers at all. Using W231, 4.5gr is a borderline compressed load in 9mm, as it fills most of the available volume of the case using Extreme 124gr projectiles and Min COAL. My 4" Xd Mod2 Service gave about the same results. I'm still working with the .45.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
When I started loading the124gr plated I used the Berry's Hollow Base data from Hodgdon's website and have been loading 4.1gr HP-38 for a light load as that is what would drop from my Lee Auto Disk measure and then a 4.3gr from my Auto Drum as that combo lists 4.4 as the max load. That 4.1gr. has been my standard load now for the 124gr plated bullet whether it be a Berry's or Xtreme.

For the 45acp I have been using AA#2 and Silhouette powders with the best results.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Premium Member
10,958 Posts
50 rounds of 308. 168 grain HPBT match bullets sitting on top of 47 grains of BL-C2. Decapped and sized another 50 308 cartridge cases.

·
Super Moderator
35,504 Posts
I grabbed some targets and Hoppe's #9 at Walmart along with some semi-gloss clear spray sealer to dress my Thai 605 grips after I sanded them a bit.

·
Super Moderator
35,504 Posts
I've got to check inventory and load up some 38 Special and 357 magnum in preparation for the Rossi homecoming. Need to survey for optimal COAL for feeding a raw recruit.

·
Registered
36,017 Posts
Friend gave me a brand spanking new 500 count box of Sierra match king 240 grain HP , he got out of the 300 win mag long distance shooting.
now to figure out a good loading for my 300 blackout from the Witch Doctor for these.
ho-hum someone must do this work of load development!! wall ways me!

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
467 Posts
Started loading some 147gr berrys hhp and was 8 rounds in when I notice the powder is being thrown a little on the light side of the weight, (was weighing every 3 rounds) turns out my hopper was not fully open -.-. set those 8 bullets aside and opened the hopper and finished loading the other 42 weighing every other powder charge.

Grabbed my bullet puller this morning, one of those inertia types. Up to this point going to be a year in march since I started reloading I have not had to pull any rounds. Set up the little collet and put my first bullet to be pulled. Went outside and started wacking it on a piece of 2x4 next to some grass but for got to check that the collet was staying secure and about 4 wacks in I see the still loaded bullet fly into the grass. Now I was like awww man. Started crawling on my hands and knees looking for it. Found it 45 minutes later and a good 6 foot patch of my grass I pulled up to find it. Learning experience indeed lol was terrified my lawn man was going to hit the round and shoot someone by accident.

·
Administrator
35,112 Posts
Started loading some 147gr berrys hhp and was 8 rounds in when I notice the powder is being thrown a little on the light side of the weight, (was weighing every 3 rounds) turns out my hopper was not fully open -.-. set those 8 bullets aside and opened the hopper and finished loading the other 42 weighing every other powder charge.

Grabbed my bullet puller this morning, one of those inertia types. Up to this point going to be a year in march since I started reloading I have not had to pull any rounds. Set up the little collet and put my first bullet to be pulled. Went outside and started wacking it on a piece of 2x4 next to some grass but for got to check that the collet was staying secure and about 4 wacks in I see the still loaded bullet fly into the grass. Now I was like awww man. Started crawling on my hands and knees looking for it. Found it 45 minutes later and a good 6 foot patch of my grass I pulled up to find it. Learning experience indeed lol was terrified my lawn man was going to hit the round and shoot someone by accident.
I know some of you guys use a powder measure that works with your turret, and I'm sure that works great....but my Lyman 6th gen powder dispenser has been worth every penny I spent on it. I get much more consistent throws of every kind of powder I use now, and it's been great having that piece of equipment on my reloading bench. :zzz:

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Gonna load up some "soft" 357 with 125 gr Powerbond plated hp.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Recently loaded Alliant e3 for 38 special. Several years back I bought some e3 during the powder drought. Some folks had successfully loaded it for 9's with good results. My 9's recipe is 3.5 grains topped with a 124/5 bullet. The COL was determined by the plunk test.

Turns out I feel this is a great recipe for 38 special. With my Lee Pro Auto Disk #.57 it consistently drops 3.5 grains. Using Ringer's 125 TCFP coated, through my 605 Poly Protector my avg chrono reading was 756 fps. Through my 85 Titanium I averaged 746 fps. Using Acme coated 158 SWC, through the 605 Poly I averaged 733 fps. All primers were Remington spp. The bullets were 0.358's.

Using any smaller size disk hole, the e3 doesn't quite meter as well. Bullets were seated/crimped at the bullet crimp line and the FCD was used. The e3 powder is a shotgun powder and some folks may feel uneasy using such.

I enjoyed the accuracy and clean paper punch. No keyholers or tumblers happened.

·
Super Moderator
35,504 Posts
Recently loaded Alliant e3 for 38 special. Several years back I bought some e3 during the powder drought. Some folks had successfully loaded it for 9's with good results. My 9's recipe is 3.5 grains topped with a 124/5 bullet. The COL was determined by the plunk test.

Turns out I feel this is a great recipe for 38 special. With my Lee Pro Auto Disk #.57 it consistently drops 3.5 grains. Using Ringer's 125 TCFP coated, through my 605 Poly Protector my avg chrono reading was 756 fps. Through my 85 Titanium I averaged 746 fps. Using Acme coated 158 SWC, through the 605 Poly I averaged 733 fps. All primers were Remington spp. The bullets were 0.358's.

Using any smaller size disk hole, the e3 doesn't quite meter as well. Bullets were seated/crimped at the bullet crimp line and the FCD was used. The e3 powder is a shotgun powder and some folks may feel uneasy using such.

I enjoyed the accuracy and clean paper punch. No keyholers or tumblers happened.
IIRC a lot of the so called "pistol powders" were used in shotguns first. You remind me that I still have some CSB-6 (Spanish shotgun powder?) left over from the same era of scarcity and saw that I have some loaded 38 Special with that powder. The next time out I'll have to re-evaluate those loads and if good load up the rest of that dinosaur in 38 Special for the Rossi M92.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I know some of you guys use a powder measure that works with your turret, and I'm sure that works great....but my Lyman 6th gen powder dispenser has been worth every penny I spent on it. I get much more consistent throws of every kind of powder I use now, and it's been great having that piece of equipment on my reloading bench. :zzz:
I was using a cheap lees perfect powder measure mounted to a piece of wood lol I was showing my wife The lyman 6th gen and shes like get it im like the bank account is not full enough yet lol

3581 - 3600 of 3885 Posts