Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up my very first gun, the 24/7 pro .40 cal this sunday!!!

I am curious what type(s) of ammo you are all using for the range and for outside the range. What has been known to jam or work well. Interested in brand, grain, etc.

I am not sure if anyone has noticed, but the taurus warranty states that it is voided if re-loaded ammunitions are used. How they would know... I dont know. But just thought I would mention it here. Maybe its a typical gun warranty statement... I dont know.

Would a be correct in saying that TYPICALLY, FMJ's are used for range use and HP's are used for defense purposes? Of course this doesnt cover everyones personal opinion.

·
Administrator
17,696 Posts
Taurus24740cal said:
I am not sure if anyone has noticed, but the taurus warranty states that it is voided if re-loaded ammunitions are used. How they would know... I dont know. But just thought I would mention it here. Maybe its a typical gun warranty statement... I dont know.

Would a be correct in saying that TYPICALLY, FMJ's are used for range use and HP's are used for defense purposes? Of course this doesnt cover everyones personal opinion.
All Firearms Manufacturers seem to have adopted the same attitude towards Reloaded Ammunition, which is mostly what I shoot.

And yes, FMJ's will be entirely adequate for Range/Target Practice use. Save your JHP's for Self-Defense use, but do sample them thru your Pistol, to make sure they feed and function in your Pistol. 24/7's tend to be fairly reliable feeders and feed most anything, but test to make sure!

Congratulations on your new 24/7 and welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was going to post this very same topic I would be interested in knowing what people put through their 24/7's. Any thoughts on wolf ammo it seems to be consistently cheap at all of the sites I visited 169 for a case of 100. For all noobs (like myself lol) I found this site which compares prices for a bunch of different sites and there prices on ammo.

http://gun-deals.com/index.php

Hopefully this helps someone

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool... Thanks guys! Im a super noob when it comes to guns and ammo. Any help is appreciated. Yes, I did plan on cycling the JHP's through my gun. by the way... what does the J in JHP stand for?

What is a good starting point in both types of ammo? as far as brand/grain?

·
Registered
493 Posts
DRKRONNIN said:
I was going to post this very same topic I would be interested in knowing what people put through their 24/7's. Any thoughts on wolf ammo it seems to be consistently cheap at all of the sites I visited 169 for a case of 100. For all noobs (like myself lol) I found this site which compares prices for a bunch of different sites and there prices on ammo.

http://gun-deals.com/index.php

Hopefully this helps someone
drkronnin I have the 9mm 24/7 but it eats up wolf with no problem. Next to the magtech I use it is one of the more accurate. Better than PMC and American Eagle. At least thats my opinion.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again everyone. My local range specifically says no wolfe rounds. And others also state no outside ammo. Crazy stuff!

·
21,952 Posts
reloads.
Ranier 147 jhp 9mm
Berrys 230 ball .45
Ranier 200 truncated .40
White box for gun break in.

·
Registered
116 Posts
my gun uses CCI blazer (aluminum) exclusively. For practice, and home defence. 4500+ rounds still going strong.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Taurus24740cal said:
Thanks again everyone. My local range specifically says no wolfe rounds. And others also state no outside ammo. Crazy stuff!
I beleive Wolf uses coated steel cases and most(all but one) ranges near where I live in Tampa,FL only allow brass. NO ALL LEAD, NO ALUMINUM OR STEEL CASINGS, NO STEEL CORE. That's what they all say. As far as What I use, right now I've found that the winchester white box serves me just fine at the range as long as it says made in the USA. For defense, I have in my 24/7 now Winchester Ranger 155gr JHP, however I may change that pending another 50 round test.

·
Registered
121 Posts
zemus said:
my gun uses CCI blazer (aluminum) exclusively. For practice, and home defence. 4500+ rounds still going strong.
I use the same here and have never had a problem. I use this in 165gr

·
Registered
173 Posts
FMJ
CCI Blazer
WWB
Remington
Aguila
Magtech
Fiocchi
American Eagle

JHP
Federal Premium
CorBon
Hornandy TAP

All have worked well. The only one I have shy-ed away from is Wolf ammo. I have not heard to many good things about that ammo.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've been using the Remington FMJ at the range that Sportsmen's Warehouse sells for $47 box/250. In 400 rounds or so, I've had three failure to fully ejects.

I won't use them in my daily carry, but 3 out of 400 at the range is OK with me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
VA Caver said:
I've been using the Remington FMJ at the range that Sportsmen's Warehouse sells for $47 box/250. In 400 rounds or so, I've had three failure to fully ejects.

I won't use them in my daily carry, but 3 out of 400 at the range is OK with me.
in 9mm, .4 or .45?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts