Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pt145 came with this plastic thingamabob that the shop owner told me is a speedloader. I took it out when I got home and there were no instructions for it. I tried sliding it over the magazine and inserting rounds, to no avail. I tried it a couple different ways. Nothing seemed to make it work. I just pushed it aside, ignoring it after that, but now I have this newfound interest in it. I remember our 16 speedloaders, but they looked nothin like this device. They were just metal strips. Anyone have a clue?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
It will work with practice, that I rarely have for something that should be so easy, but isn't... I pushed mine aside too :)

Basically, it just help you push the round down so you can "Start" the next round into position. Slide the loader over the mag with the tit (for lack of a better word) towards the rear of the mag, push down with finger/thumb, start the round, release the loader so it will slide up and continue sliding the round to the back of the mag until it stops and repeat until mag is loaded.

Yeah it does sound complicated, it isn't but it is... ;)

·
Registered
625 Posts
maybe someone else can be of more help, but I believe the concept is that you have to load the first bullet yourself, then the speedloader is used the push the bullets down as you load. Maybe I'm wrong. I did the same as you did, I think it's still in the plastic case in my closet.

Todd

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AAAHHHH!!! :thumb: I am now an expert with an object I will never use :D. I figured it out with your help, deduced it was of limited help, and threw it back, though I could see where a person (i.e.woman) with limited hand strength would benefit. I'll try it out on my girl when she get's home. I suppose if my hands were cramping after several "fillups" it could come in handy then, as well. Only time will tell. Happy shootin gents, and you two too ;).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Try the 'uplula' mag loader! Not sure who makes it - maybe Butler Creek?!? It can load ANY mag --- sngl stack, double, 45 - 380 --- ANY! An amazing new tool. I'm going to check if Brownells has 'em.
Yep - Brownells has 'em #100-003-052, 34 bucks though - but sounds worth it if this is truly the last/only mag loader you'll need.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
OK... these are kind of nifty gizmos once you figure them out.

Hold the empty magazine in your right hand with the back of the magazine against your palm.

Put the loader on top of the magazine with the extended tab against the back inside of the magazine.

With your right thumb press down on the top of the gizmo and you will press the magazine follower down... sometimes I have to level this out at first since it wants to push the back of the follower down first.

With your left hand slide the cartridge into the magazine... this is easy since you are pressing the follower down with the gizmo... push the cartridge back against the tab and release the pressure.

Once you get into the groove, you will just release the pressure and push the cartridge back against the back of the magazine... which at the same time forces the extended tab on the gizmo to move up and ride on the cartridge.

Push down, insert the cartridge without the pressure of the magazine spring, push to back and release pressure... up pops the extended tab on top of the newly inserted cartridge... continue until magazine is full.

The first few rounds are easy regardless, but the last few rounds are the hardest because of the pressure of the magazine spring almost fully compressed. The "gizmo" is designed to let you insert the last few rounds as easily as the first since you are compressing the spring with your tumb on the extended tab rather than forcing the follower down with a new cartridge.

Class dismissed!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hell, Cimarron, those were about the most coherent detailed instructions I've read in a LONG time. You should b writing SOP's. Even a retarded person could figure it out by that, as long as they could read, that is. I figured it out by Draeger's and Bonediggers instructo's though, so I'm good there. I ran my girl through the drill and it didn't help her by the time she got to about the 8'th round. She still couldn't get the last two. I then picked it up and loaded it by thumbs in a small fraction of the time, humbly, of course. Overall analysis-speed loader schmeed loader. I'll stick to le ole' thumbs 4 now. ;D

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Yeah, much better then mine. Like I said, I can get bored fast and would rather toss instructions and annoying things aside :)

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I made an oversight... when loading the last rounds, I usually sit the base of the magazine on a work table and sometimes use the palm of my hand to press down the last couple of cartridges.

And yes... I thumb load a load of my magazines, but at the end of the day, or when the wife is getting her hands dirty... it is a handy item to have in your shooting bag.

PS... my wife will be turning 60 this year... has never enjoyed shooting, but this year she took her concealed carry class, I bought her a gun for Mother's Day, and she reminds me we need to go shooting!

That's OK... when it's time, I want her to put me away cleanly!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She must have finally read the life insurance policy ;D!!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I'll tell you what I was never even interested in using a mag loader but here lately I have been able to afford to go through a couple thousand rounds a month, most of the time me and the wife shoot anywhere from 500 each to 1000 each in one range session. My thumb was taking a beating haha. I tried the UPlula mag loader and even though it is faster once you get used to it but you can load hundreds if not thousands of rounds with out having any hand cramps or pains in the thumb so to speak. I got mine at the gun show for 25 bucks. Well worth twice that if you shoot alot

1 - 11 of 11 Posts