Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I picked up a 1922 model star largo for $40. The po said that he bought it at an auction and he didn't like it and it jammed. I asked what he shot for ammo and he said regular 9mm. Well he didn't know what he had so I offered to buy it. I'm going to order some ammo and see how it works. It only has one small spot for rust on the end of the slide and seems to be decent. I will be making some 9x23 largo ammo for it and will see how it works.

I think that I did good. I really like relics and enjoy shooting them.

·
Super Moderator
35,541 Posts
Fun deal...load her up easy. I am looking forward to seeing some photos.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
The old Stars were great pistols, another similar brand was the Llamas. It is worth that as a paper weight! Makes a great club also!

I'm sure you can figure out the correct combination to make it work right. If you don't, I've got $40 to send you. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My one question is this spring supposed to look like this? The slide racks just fine though.

I've found some ammo but its corrosive and I really don't want to use old ammo. I can trim .223 cases or use I think .380 auto. Time to talk to my reloader friend tomorrow.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
The guide rod looks broken, a good machinist can make one easily. Pull the guide rod out and see if it looks like it has broken. It should extend at least 3/8" into the slide, if the end of the slide where the guide rod inserts is open, the guide rod can extend all the way flush to the end of the guide. Wonder how that got broke? I wouldn't let that stand in my way of buying it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The end of the guide rod is nice and smooth. It don't seem to be broken at all. I'm just shocked on quality of this gun. For its age its nice. I like the take down of a 1911 it makes me really want the real thing.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
That recoil spring/guide rod combination just looks wrong. Recoil spring looks fine other than not being straight in the photo. Maybe the guide rod is as it should be, but I don't think so. It would be good if you could find a parts diagram.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I remember when the Largos sold for $99 and a friend shot .38 Super through his to see if it worked. It worked okay but is a little stout. Case length of the .38 Super is the same as the Largo; 0.900. The extractor groove should not give problems in a pistol as it does in the Destroyer carbine. Since the firing pin hole is rather large, you better use hard primers to prevent excessive primer back-flow.

Winchester made some 9x23 brass that is a good starting point to reload.

9mm Largo Loading Text

·
Registered
31,697 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Best of luck with your new gun. I bought 3 and sold one to a friend. Great guns if you clean and treat them well. That spring looks fine ... Happy shooting.
DSC_0063.JPG

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Gee whiz.........some dogs just seem to have all the luck.

I'll give you $50 right now, and I'll pay the shipping- ---you make money before you even have to fool with it!

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
$40! Great find!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wow what luck!!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I would say sell in a few years for a $500 profit, nice find!

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
I've found some ammo but its corrosive and I really don't want to use old ammo. I can trim .223 cases or use I think .380 auto. Time to talk to my reloader friend tomorrow.
Not REAL sure, but I know .380 is 9x17 and I think Largo is 9x23, right? .380 would be way short even if the case worked otherwise. It would not properly head space. There is brass to be had, Starline I think, if nothing else, but I've seen brass at Shop Shooting Supplies | Reloading | Gunsmithing | Hunting gear — MidwayUSA in the past. Might wanna stock up if you find some, work up a good handload that ain't too rough on the old girl, and have some fun. :D For the money, dies will be NOTHING. Heck, every time I buy a new caliber, I get dies, a shell holder, and a mold for it even if I don't wanna handload much for it. I have all the fixin's for 9x18 Makarov and would rather buy Monarch from Academy at 9.95 a box as trimming 9x19 is a pain and the gun, a Radom P64, tosses brass into the next county. BUT, I will never be short of ammo even if the Russians pull out of the US market. :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts