Taurus Firearm Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Unfortunately it was for just 20 rounds. Finding any self defense rounds is really hard in my area and can run up to $35.00 at the LGS........
That's the equivalent of ~$48/box of 50. Very pricey, but at least they look like a quality cartridge with good expansion properties.

·
Super Moderator
38,267 Posts
That's the equivalent of ~$48/box of 50. Very pricey, but at least they look like a quality cartridge with good expansion properties.
Most of the SD rounds I saw prior to the pandemic panic were a buck per round. An exception were the IMI HP FMJ of which I bought a half dozen boxes.

I was at a large gun shop in Marengo today to browse and the first impression was DISMAL. Their handgun inventory was probably 1/4 of what it used to be, and in long guns there was ONE lever action rifle.

I perused the scant ammo offerings and they had an 80 round box of 90 grain 9mm FMJ target ammo for 60 bucks IIRC. But her, there was no LIMIT!! The .380 Auto 95 grain WW white box was 28.00 each.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Most of the SD rounds I saw prior to the pandemic panic were a buck per round. An exception were the IMI HP FMJ of which I bought a half dozen boxes.

I was at a large gun shop in Marengo today to browse and the first impression was DISMAL. Their handgun inventory was probably 1/4 of what it used to be, and in long guns there was ONE lever action rifle.

I perused the scant ammo offerings and they had an 80 round box of 90 grain 9mm FMJ target ammo for 60 bucks IIRC. But her, there was no LIMIT!! The .380 Auto 95 grain WW white box was 28.00 each.
Didn't realize SD rounds were going for that much pre pandemic. First & last ones I bought was a 20 rnd box of 90gn Corbin .380's & they weren't cheap & that was a good number of years ago too. What I did notice about these higher end cartridges is that the pistol recoil was pushing the bullets into the case deeper than the original OAL. Didn't bode well with me after paying more for a high performance cartridge. Guess that's why I never bought any more.

·
Registered
37,134 Posts
Self defense rounds are/were all over the price range--mostly depending on what they were and who made them!
Both Federal, Remington and Winchester was still making the old school self defense hollow points of yester year even though they also produced modern self defense ammo as well.
I like to use Federal Classic as test rounds for a new pistol to check function mostly cause its got a big old school hollow point cavity in it.
all hollow point /self defense ammo isn't created equal!
especially when you get into these micro sized carry weapons of today and the shorter barrels.

·
Registered
212 Posts

Didn't know you shopped there. I stopped by there myself a few weeks ago. They had some sales going on 9mm range ammo and they had the Hornady Critical Defense for my little .380 Who knows? We might run into each other and not know it LOL

·
Registered
294 Posts
Proper headstamp, "380". Proper case length 17 mm. NEW brass, no marks of any kind that would indicate once fired or reloaded. C risp, new boxes showing no signs of ever having been opened before.

Just fat cases, in front of the extractor groove. Definitely over-fat cases.

I think I'll run up to his place Monday with a set of micrometers, height gage, and a portable surface-plate (taking along a SAAMI drawing of the 380 ACP) . Maybe even pull one projectile and weigh it, too. Maybe even drive over to his LGS to do the autopsy.

Oh, the fun we can have since we've been retired.
I would be on the phone directly to S&B. Any manufacturer would want to see those rounds for themselves. Besides, you deserve a nice, big, fat re-imbursement. They would have to want that Lot#, if nothing else.
Please, keep us informed. I bought some Ehrlichman's pound cake a while back that has overdosed with mold release agent. I ended up getting a bunch of free product coupons for my trouble. You deserve the same.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts