1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
18,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"The brakes've been working just fine and I never heard any noise!"

DSCF1221.jpg

DSCF1222.jpg

That's all that was left, the outer web of the rotor was missing.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
You think that might be out of spec??! Got calipers - let's check!!

*never seen that before in my life

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,872 Posts
Wife's car?

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
YEP, you were not far from a real disaster indeed!:shocked:

Reactions: Texheim and kschilk

·
Registered
18,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cadillac Eldorado, came in for inspection. Owner said he'd checked it over and it shouldn't need anything.

·
Registered
21,110 Posts
Wow, that's pretty impressive...

Reactions: Sekol and kschilk

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
BTW, most brake disks can no longer be turned as they are too thin to start with. Buy new rotors and pads and do the job yourself.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Shoot I just had new front brakes put on last week. First time the rotors were turned in 120.000 miles.

Reactions: kschilk

·
Registered
18,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I see brake stuff like this more often than you'd think but this was one of the worst...:mellow:...definitely the worst to come in under its own power. Amazingly, the parts for this thing are relatively cheap. I have a van in there right now, a Chevy Express 1500 conversion van. The guy ran a bad bearing 'til it came apart, the axle was riding on the inside of the axle tube by the time it came in. The outside edge of the axle tube is belled-out on the upper rear edge, there's now about a 1/4" gap around almost 1/4 of the wheel seal. I've gotten around similar damage with a "repair bearing" before but I dunno' if I can save this one. A little noise is reason for concern, a lot of noise is reason to stop!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts