Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new PT1911 9mm and it sometimes throws brass straight back into my face. Otherwise, the brass dribbles out all round my feet. Using 115 grain Winchester white box or 124 grain Remington. The slide also appears to not be coming fully back. Not limp wristing, I normally shoot a 45 and the 9 feels like a 22!

Is there a a simple relationship between ejector face angle and ejection path? Should I tighten or loosen the extractor tension?

Any help will be appreciated.

Paul

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
if the weapon is operating well in all functions except the hitting you in the face then a simple extractor tuning will likely correct that problem.
I will mention though that as the gun wears in the ejection may change on its own, and different ammo and stance /hold can result in this problem as well.
the ejection at the feet doesn't sound right!
My 45's and 38 Super throw brass to the moon, you certainly don't need to worry about tripping on it , lets say that!
of course the recoil is going to be reduced as you are firing a 115 - 124 grain projectile as opposed to a 200-230 grain projectile in the same weight gun, thats also why the recoil spring rate is different.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had to replace the factory recoil spring in my PT1911-9mm with a 12 pound 1911 recoil spring. Before that, there was no slide lock after the last round regardless of what ammo was used and ejection was weak. The 12 pound spring solved both problems. I would try that before modification of the ejector.
Good luck!

·
Registered
188 Posts
My wife just bought a 9mm pt1911 this week. She is having the same weak ejection problem. Guess I need to order a 12 lbs. spring as well. Rats, I just placed an order with Midway yesterday & it is shipping as we speak. I guess they can't charge too much for a spring...can they?

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
My PT145 usually chucks at least one into my forehead every hundred rounds or so. It happened on the range once, and it hit me right between and about an inch above the eyes. When I finally got home hours later, and after running a number of errands, I looked in the mirror and saw a perfect black circle where the brass struck. It washed right off, but how come nobody ever tells you when you've got a mark like that right in the middle of your face? :D

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yeah, it seems people would rather see others make fools of themselves to take the attention away from them for a few minutes. No one will tell you that a booger is sticking out of your nose. Forget about anybody telling you that a whole stalk of broccolli is stuck between your front teeth. I mean really, couldn't someone have told me BEFORE I finished speaking for 15 minutes that my fly was gapped so far open that everybody knew what color my tightie whities were & which side I was parked . I mean really 15 minutes standing in front of everybody with my fly wide open and not one peep from anybody. Ummm, I mean that is the kind of thing that could happen & nobody would tell you...hypothetically speaking of course...

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
They didn't tell you because it made you look better. <grin>.
Works for me.

Reactions: dbeardslee

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Perhaps the Taurus is trying to tell you something??? Get in touch with your inner powder-charge, or something?

Once, while shooting some seriously overpowered 45's, one popped straight back and carved a big, bloody, half-moon gouge out of the bridge of my nose. Bled so badly that I had to suspend shooting in favor of a trip to the ER to get the leakage stoppered up. It was telling me that 7.4 grains of Unique on a 230 grain cast RN was just more than it really liked.

Who knows what yours is saying?

Flash

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
I'd agree with olfarhors, extractor tuning... How many rounds are through it? It might change over time as he said....

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Yeah, it seems people would rather see others make fools of themselves to take the attention away from them for a few minutes. No one will tell you that a booger is sticking out of your nose. Forget about anybody telling you that a whole stalk of broccolli is stuck between your front teeth. I mean really, couldn't someone have told me BEFORE I finished speaking for 15 minutes that my fly was gapped so far open that everybody knew what color my tightie whities were & which side I was parked . I mean really 15 minutes standing in front of everybody with my fly wide open and not one peep from anybody. Ummm, I mean that is the kind of thing that could happen & nobody would tell you...hypothetically speaking of course...
I guess I'm the exception to the rule, cause I will tell people when I see stuff like that. Years ago when I was selling microcomputers, I was meeting with the purchasing agent for Great American Insurance. He had a black smudge on his forehead, and I said "Tom, you've got some dirt on your forehead." His reply was "It's Ash Wednesday, asshole." :D

·
Registered
188 Posts
I guess I'm the exception to the rule, cause I will tell people when I see stuff like that. Years ago when I was selling microcomputers, I was meeting with the purchasing agent for Great American Insurance. He had a black smudge on his forehead, and I said "Tom, you've got some dirt on your forehead." His reply was "It's Ash Wednesday, asshole." :D
Well there you go. Maybe someone thought the round black smudge from the casing was a religious sign..."Here's your sign."

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
My PT1911 will do the same thing when I use pro mag magazines. The last round in the mag always hits me square in the forehead. Might try a different magazine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts