Taurus Firearm Forum banner

West Texans: Can You REALLY Shoot Blue Quail On The Ground??

3727 Views 10 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  chuck_in_texas
Last Fall, my son and a couple of buddies were able to get the use of a game lease for one week-end -- this last one -- to hunt blue quail out near Marfa. They invited me to go and I was all set to go. My son told me: "Now don't get upset, Dad. You're an old-time wing shooter, and you have your rules, but blue quail run a lot, rarely fly, and so a lot of guys shoot them on the ground".

Huh?

Anyhow, between then and now I had some unexpected surgery, and am all snugged up in a brace so I had to pass on the trip, but would have loved to go. I had planned to check this out with TPWD before I went, but surgery interrupted.

But this week, the TSRA magazine arrived with a short article on blue quail, and---- if I read it right -- the guy it was about says he shoots one on the ground to get the others to fly.

Now I've never gone turkey hunting, and I know they're shot on the ground, but quail, dove, ducks are always shot on the wing. At least where I grew up.

What's the real word on blue quail? Are they that tough?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Are they that tough?
Well, with the right Marinade they're not that bad. ;)

Sorry, it was there had to take it. But I'm with you we always shot on the wing, but that was up in the NE. Have no idea about those fine Americans out in TX.
I haven't hunted in years so I can't help you either.
Reminds me of an old Jerry Clower joke. One of the Ledbetter boys was talking to an old codger about his quail hunting trip. The old codger said, "I bet you shoot them sitting on the ground." The Ledbetter said, "Can they fly?" :D
Reactions: 1
Blues would rather run than fly and they run fast, you shoot them anytime you get a chance, they are "Oh so good!" Larger than Bob's.

In our neck of the non-woods, I haven't seen them in any quantities in over 20 years, haven't seen Bobs in 5 years and they were between Dickens and Roaring Springs and we had a great hunt, the last good hunt old Jake had. Quail of any kind are pretty sparse around here. I wouldn't want to see anyone shooting them until their numbers are back up.
LoneStarJake is right Blues would rather run than fly and they don't covey and hold so they will work a good dog to death. If you are young you can run at them to get them to fly, of course if you are like me you wont have the breath to try a wing shot. Blues are just a pain to hunt but they are big and do taste good. If you shoot one on the ground to get the others to fly well crap good on you it's about the only way you can get a wing shot.
I didn't know Blues could fly!!:eek: In south Texas, on private property we road hunt Blue or Bob, seldom shoot airborne - ground or flight, same taste.;)
Train them up right and they'll come to a feeder and you can get your limit with one tube! Last turkey I got was after I shot my last deer; a 12 point. I shoot the buck and light up a camel to let it finish dying. 5 minutes pass and a covey of turkey some gobbling up and I shoot the largest among them with my 270 at 50 yards; blow its neck clean off. That bird was 20 lbs gutted and plucked; good fry that year.
The one time I've encountered blues, on a lease near George West, they flew. But I'm told that's unusual, and that the blues teach the bobwhites to run rather than fly.
If it runs, shoot it. If it flys, shoot it. If it stands there and stares at you, shoot it.
Reactions: 5
In our neck of the non-woods, I haven't seen them in any quantities in over 20 years, haven't seen Bobs in 5 years and they were between Dickens and Roaring Springs and we had a great hunt, the last good hunt old Jake had. Quail of any kind are pretty sparse around here. I wouldn't want to see anyone shooting them until their numbers are back up.
Well, I guess my son was on your side on this hunt, Jake, because he got none, nada, zip, zilch, zero. No blues. But I guess he and his pals did run their fannies off chasing a few thrugh the scrub, but never got close enough to get a shot -- flying or sitting. One of the the guys has a good quail dog -- but the were never sure that a good bobwhite dog can actually sniff out blues. anyhow the dog got a good run.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.