Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As some of you might have read me and my sister went to the range this past Sunday to do some shooting. Me with my new 856 and AR15 and her with her new 351. She's never shot a gun before so she wanted me to go first and show her the ropes. I shot my 856 first and man what a nice gun. The trigger was nice and smooth and it was very accurate for a 2" barrel. After shooting the first 12rds through that I loaded up the 351 with some Monarch 158gr jhps' and went to town. First thing I noticed is the gun is very light for being the 3" model. It was significantly lighter than my 856 even though from what I've read the specs has it weighing in at 3+ ounces heavier. After looking the gun over I can tell you I am not a fan of the blue finish. No matter what it just always looks dirty. The firing pin on this thing is a joke and I anticipate will break at anytime. To me it just looks like a little formed piece of sodder. I told my sister not to dry fire it at all because it will probably break. The other thing I noticed is the cylinder has a lot more side to side movement once it locks into place than my 856, no front to back movement though. It wasn't enough to concern me because everything still lined up fine. Other than that I didn't see anything else to my disliking. I started out with an SA shot. Cocking the trigger is a bit of a task on this thing but she fired and landed right where I pointed her. I did the rest in DA. The trigger pull is significantly heavier on this gun over my 856, so much so my sister couldn't even shoot it in DA. I didn't have any issues but then again I'm much stronger than her. The trigger pull feels "grainy" and not smooth at all. Im not sure if a good interior cleaning will resolve that or not because I've read of other members on here experiencing the same thing. I put 10rds through it and I must say the 351 is very accurate and very easy to handle recoil wise. For a $199 revolver it will more than do its intended job but in my case I'm glad I spent the extra $200 and got the Taurus 856, its a far superior firearm. My sisters boss bought it for her so technically she's not out any $$$. It's not a bad gun but after a day at the range and all the different guns she shot (PT111, PT1911, 856, 351) she definitely shot better with and enjoyed shooting more the semi-autos. She was more confortable shooting them and generally found them easier to handle. In the near future I see her becoming a new owner of a small semi-auto in the 380 - 9mm range and me the owner of a 351 :). But not something as small as a 738 or BG380 for instance. After looking at those myself I find them to small and IMO with a gun that small accuracy is lost. She needs something she can be dead accurate with.

Anyways thats my little assessment of the 351.

Thanks

1 - 1 of 1 Posts