Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the range this weekend. It has been about 30 years since I have fired anything. Took new 24/7 OSS DS 9mm and wife took her new Public defender.
Overall it was good. I was using Winchester 115gr FMJ (had 3 FTF), Remington and 115gr JHP. When I aim for bullseye I always hit low and left. Could this be the way I am gripping or something or could it be my sights. The attached pic's are from 25 yrds and 15 yrds. Regardless I had a good time. My wife liked plastering my target with her #4 shot.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,441 Posts
Welcome and you did pretty good for not shooting for 30 years. And low left is a comon complaint thats normally corrected by the shooter. I'll post a aid that may help but at the range you were shooting I would say well done, Click on the pic to make it larger. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,353 Posts

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Nice training aid. Thanks for sharing.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Welcome back!

·
Registered
44 Posts
barnhill1
Nice shooting for not having shot for 30 years J

Anticipating recoil will result in tightening your grip and jerking/slapping the trigger just as you start to pull the trigger, resulting in shooting low and to the left per your target. L

I know as this is what happens to me if I haven’t shot for a period of time. My fix is to take a somewhat firm two handed grip “and” I put my right “pinky” finger between my 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] & 4[SUP]th[/SUP] left hand fingers (try not to grip with it, just let it hang loose) and gently squeeze with my right 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] & 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] fingers only, while taking a firmer grip with my left hand, (pulling rearward with the left hand and pushing forward with your right hand), then concentrate on “slooowly” squeezing the trigger.
After running a several mag loads of ammo thru it, I return a normal two handed grip.

This modified Weaver Stance Works for me “most” of the time. J

Cheers….

(I copied this from another forum, I hope it’s OK to post it here)

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194831
Explain the Weaver Stance by Dan*Smith
Right handed, you stand with your body turned about 20 to 30 deg's away from the target toward your strong side. The right arm is straight (if you can) and the left is bent at the elbow and supports the strong arm.
There is kind of a push pull, the strong arms pushes into the weak hand and the weak hand supports the gun toward the rear.
The idea on turning slightly away from the target is to also present a smaller target.
I find that this position VS the straight shoulders facing the target gives much better support and just feels better.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Welcome and good shooting I'm sure it felt good to knock off some of that rust. Don't wait another 30 years you may not have the eyes or the strength any more by then to see the target much less pull the trigger lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wanted to thank everyone for all the info and help with proper aim when shooting.

We went to the range friday, 4th time now. With the 24/7 9mm everything is fine. With practice and giving some time to break in the gun the wife and I can both hit target dead center. I really like the OSS DS but it has been discontinued. Buds guns has the 45 ACP still in stock so I ordered one yesterday $327 cash price.

Now for the wifes public defender, we could not hit anything with the 45 Colt.I know with that 2" barrel your not going to hit much past 25 yards. Beacuse of the price I have been getting the cheapest ammo I could find. This time I went with Remington express R45C. Good ammo makes a big differance. At 25 yards we can both destroy the the center of the target. At $1 a round I am going to start reloading. I would like to try and replicate this remington round. So far I have the Lee press set up for 45 colt, scales, load manuals, and have kept all of my casings about 300. I spend time every day researching info online about reloading and I think I am ready to get started. Cant decide on what powder to try first. Any tips of info would be great.

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
Welcome from Lubbock, Tx flat, dusty. treeless and prairie dog infested!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I wanted to thank everyone for all the info and help with proper aim when shooting.

We went to the range friday, 4th time now. With the 24/7 9mm everything is fine. With practice and giving some time to break in the gun the wife and I can both hit target dead center. I really like the OSS DS but it has been discontinued. Buds guns has the 45 ACP still in stock so I ordered one yesterday $327 cash price.

Now for the wifes public defender, we could not hit anything with the 45 Colt.I know with that 2" barrel your not going to hit much past 25 yards. Beacuse of the price I have been getting the cheapest ammo I could find. This time I went with Remington express R45C. Good ammo makes a big differance. At 25 yards we can both destroy the the center of the target. At $1 a round I am going to start reloading. I would like to try and replicate this remington round. So far I have the Lee press set up for 45 colt, scales, load manuals, and have kept all of my casings about 300. I spend time every day researching info online about reloading and I think I am ready to get started. Cant decide on what powder to try first. Any tips of info would be great.
Hello from Arkansas and welcome back to shooting .
I have been reloading since the late 70s but that don't make me an expert. I mostly use the Speer reloading manual. I have used several powders over the years and finally because of it's versatility I use Winchester 231 for all of my pistol loads. sadly 45 colt is not one of them. However I did check my manual and it is listed for all loading's in 45 Colt . Somebody else might have a better option.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Salutations from Mississippi!

It's a pleasure to welcome you to TaurusArmed.net, the forum that is blessed to have the friendliest and most knowledgeable handgun folks and the straightest-shootin’ moderators on the web.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts

I use Hodgdons Universal for all my handgun reloads. I do not reload for the .45 Colt but, Universal will work just fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts