Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gun shows seem to be getting more and more disappointing. I picked up a Hi-Point .45 today that was $220+fees. Really I got my 327 mag from CDNN for $219.00 the prices were so marked up. I don't mind spending the money at my LGS but to give people from out of town a 30-40% mark-up please. The only thing I saw that was worth it was the silencer company, an HK MP5 A5, and the scopes were fun to see but I just went home and bought the scope for $50 to $100 less off the internet. I bought a NCStar ill mark iii scope with added red dot site. Oh and found that they had 15rnd mags from promag for my 995ts carbine. They were $40 at the gun show and $22 from gun source online, so I got a fobus holster for my 85 revolver from the money I saved. I didn't even find good prices on bulk ammo, at the very least I usually find that.

·
Registered
860 Posts
A guy once told me that the best deals at a gun show are found in the parking lot, I guess it's true.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I'm thinking the prices will come down when the see everyone on their phones checking online prices.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
I've had the same problem. The last show I went to I think I found three guns I thought were reasonable. And this was at a huge show (1,000+ tables). The only thing I've found the shows are good for is primers and powder. The prices on those seem equal to the online prices, but you have to pay the sales tax. You avoid the $25 hazmat fee, but you pay to park and for admission which eats up most of that savings.

I have better luck at pawn shops.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I picked up an ammo and 175 rounds of Federal 00 buckshot for $105.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You can get that hi point pistol for about 180 here plus fees. Gun shows are getting expensive (fun to attend) though. The internet is the place now days for everything but the actual firearm.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
I went to a show last year, and was not impressed with it at all. I used to go and check out the feel of the gun I was thinking of getting. But it's not worth the parking hassles, the ticket price, and the rudeness of the crowds make me not anxious to go. I didn't even go to the show this weekend...

·
Super Moderator
40,577 Posts
Know your prices before you go. To many first time buyers willing to pay full price are going to the gun shows these days. I have found that if I quietly make an offer off to the side where others don't here they usually will take it. They don't want the masses to know they are over paying. I have seen some loud mouth’s come in and start complaining about the prices, it's like they shot themselves in the foot, no dealer will even talk to them and they go off pissed.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I used to go to all the local shows but due to the pricing I rarely go anymore

·
Registered
515 Posts
I think the days of gun shows being *the place* to get a deal on a gun are long past; you need to go back the the 1980s - 1990s time frame for that.

Keep in mind though that a dealer with a store front will spend more money that weekend, as he has to cover both the store & the show. If far from home there is food, lodging, etc. The trade off is, of course, the increased consumer traffic.

I'll hit the local shows on occasion. I actually bought 2 guns last year, both at shows but will readily admit I could have done better (price wise) by sitting on my laptop in my living room. I'll usually buy a lot of my cleaning supplies & things like ammo boxes at the shows; shipping on those things can be expensive when bought online. But if looking at firearms, the uneducated consumer can be easily taken advantage of. Know your prices!

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
The only reason I go anymore is for spare parts, ammo, and one guy we call "Mag man". He has 4 tables of mags, and is willing to work with you over the price. Last trip, I got 6 USGI 1911 mags for $30 and 6 Chinese AK 30 rounders for $40 from him. 99% of the firearms were as much as 100% marked up. I saw a Stag 6.8SPC upper like mine on one table for $1200. Yes....$1200 for the upper only. You can get the same upper direct from Stag for $535. Oh, and you have to love the term "Super Rare" slapped on Mosins and SKS rifles.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Bought my gun at the local show. I was not impressed with the show by any means. Selection was terrible, and the prices were not much below the LGS. The guy I bought from was somewhat local, and his price was better than local. This was before I knew online was a real option for the purchase of a firearm. Online prices would have saved me some cash for sure.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I like going to gun shows. But have never and more than likely will never buy a firearm at one.

I normally buy mags or HD/SD ammo and maybe some cleaning supplies (although a toothbrush and baby-wipes are normally all I use to clean).

Last time I was at a gun show I was looking at Glocks and M&P's, I thought I had found a decent price and started talking to the dealer, I asked him quietly if he would move down on the price at all as I thought/knew he was high. He loudly stated that his prices were non-negotiable, so I pulled my phone out pulled up gallerofguns and loudly stated he was about $85 overpriced and showed the price page on my phone to anyone nearby who cared.

I hate being a prick, but I won't hesitate to make someone look like a fool when they're being a prick.

I tried to be a discreet and talk to him on the side, he chose to be loud and obtuse.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The gun shows seem to be getting more and more disappointing. I picked up a Hi-Point .45 today that was $220+fees. Really I got my 327 mag from CDNN for $219.00 the prices were so marked up. I don't mind spending the money at my LGS but to give people from out of town a 30-40% mark-up please. The only thing I saw that was worth it was the silencer company, an HK MP5 A5, and the scopes were fun to see but I just went home and bought the scope for $50 to $100 less off the internet. I bought a NCStar ill mark iii scope with added red dot site. Oh and found that they had 15rnd mags from promag for my 995ts carbine. They were $40 at the gun show and $22 from gun source online, so I got a fobus holster for my 85 revolver from the money I saved. I didn't even find good prices on bulk ammo, at the very least I usually find that.
Odd... I had just the opposite experience last weekend at a show in Commerce, GA. Found a NIB Taurus PT738 for $199 out the door. And a NIB Kel-Tec Sub-2000 9mm for $369. There were large dealers and small, some with storefronts elsewhere, and some not. The ones without the storefront overhead obviously had the better deals. Oh, also found a used Remington 870 Tactical shotgun for $350 (asking price). All in all, a satisfactory day out.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If I found deals like that I would 2-3 guns more at this point, minus the Kel Tec I will never buy another Kel Tec their CS is crap and the lady I emailed was a b-word. I was actually looking for a good priced PT something 92, or 100 745 didn't matter though. The show was kind of full of 1911 snobs.

·
Registered
32,083 Posts
I generally feel the same about gun shows as I do about going to Gander Mountain.

But, there are deals to be made at a gun show, if you work it right. That being said, I haven't gone to a gun show in three years, I just give randy Ward at West Texas Military Surplus all my business except for accessories and some ammo.

·
Registered
518 Posts
My sons and I went to a show in Columbia, SC today. Waste of money to buy tickets. Thousands of knives, some rifles, and maybe fifty handguns. I saw one Taurus, a 709 model. I was hoping to see a PT809 but that was wishful thinking.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts