Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped by my closest Cabelas store today while my wife was having her hair done. I looked at their gun selection to see if there was anything reasonably priced and anything I wanted. I found two Taurus handguns in the entire store. One was a Spectrum that was priced at $279.99 and a used PT-111 G2 for $199.99. I bought my PT-111 G2 from them a couple of years ago for $199.99. They also didn't have other affordable/budget guns either. They had Glock, SIG, S&W , Bursa, Baretta, etc. but they were horribly overpriced. They didn't have cheap handguns like Taurus, Hi-Point, Heritage, etc. I was terribly disappointed that they have chosen to only sell the more expensive lines and to heck with blue collar people. It is fortunate that there are a couple of local LGS stores nearby that stock affordable handguns.

They did have a S&W SD9VE but it was $100 more than I paid for mine at my LGS.

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
Cabellas (now owned by) and Bass Pro Shops are the boutique Outdoors Markets. They offer "Disneyland" shopping experiences for those of us, (you...) for whom price is not the ultimate object.

Yes, I drop in on our local BPS from time to time and I have actually purchased some items, including a Kimber Micro 9 for several dollars more than other vendors, but it was in stock, and I wanted it- Now!

I recommend not patronizing either retailer if price is the overriding concern.

Cool stores, though.....

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I dropped by my closest Cabelas store today while my wife was having her hair done. I looked at their gun selection to see if there was anything reasonably priced and anything I wanted. I found two Taurus handguns in the entire store. One was a Spectrum that was priced at $279.99 and a used PT-111 G2 for $199.99. I bought my PT-111 G2 from them a couple of years ago for $199.99. They also didn't have other affordable/budget guns either. They had Glock, SIG, S&W , Bursa, Baretta, etc. but they were horribly overpriced. They didn't have cheap handguns like Taurus, Hi-Point, Heritage, etc. I was terribly disappointed that they have chosen to only sell the more expensive lines and to heck with blue collar people. It is fortunate that there are a couple of local LGS stores nearby that stock affordable handguns.

They did have a S&W SD9VE but it was $100 more than I paid for mine at my LGS.
BassPro sucks, so I suppose Cabelas will soon suck as well.

·
9,103 Posts
It is so sad what Cabelas===> now BPS has turned into. I tried one last time and went by earlier this week to see if they had any good used gun deals ( they always used to have at least 3 or 4 that caught my eye ). Sadly they are just trying to get rid of their overstocked used guns from the past, at unreasonably high prices. All the new guns are more spread out with big billboard price signs, which made it easy for me to see they have priced themselves out of the gun business. Many guns 100 or higher than the academy down the road, and 150 higher than I can find online. Also as I have said before no clerks working the gun counter anymore. RIP Cabelas. :(

Reactions: 45 Forever

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
BP has been having sales selling name brand firearms equal to some of the net stores.
Watching the sale catalogs they are as good as any. You join their points club and watch sales you can get some reloading supplies as cheap as any.
I know "lets hate big business syndrome" creeps in but , considering what Johnny Morris (owner of BP) does for Southern Missouri and Northern Arkansas it's money well earned. Considering he started as a regular person making fishing lures in the late 60s he's done well.
Like previously stated if you don't like em don't go in.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
You can get a much better price @ Academy for sure.
There are no Academy stores in Wisconsin so it does me no good.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
There are no Academy stores in Wisconsin so it does me no good.
See my above post haha. At least at my bps here they match so find the sale price on academy’s website and go get it cheaper at bps if yours does the same.

Ohh and ours has a new policy now. No more walking the guns to the front after purchase. They let u handle it. If your clear to buy it your clear to take responsibility for it in store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I'm in Va. Which Cabela's did you go to?

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I use to stop at Cabala's in Sydney, Ne every so often. The original one with hardwood floors and a basement. I even went to their new store in Nebraska. It was fun and worth the trip. Not any more. The demise of a icon...:(

·
Premium Member
13,625 Posts
Everything at Cabela's is overpriced unless you catch a really good sale. Last year I bought a couple of Ruger #1 rifles from them that were priced about $500 cheaper than I could find anywhere else.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
23,214 Posts
I recently discovered Cabela's on line gun library, which has used guns. There are some decent deals, but by and large the prices are way up there. As others have said, they seem more interested in the atmosphere of the place than actual selling. Which is a shame.

Thinking about it a bit more, my boss got a pistol there recently, a Rock Island, and he talked them down substantially. Maybe they are counting on some haggling.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Cabela's is gone. Only a year or 2 ago they were the best place to buy ammo. And yes, I mean better than Target Sports, Palmetto, etc. That's provided you took advantage of double and triple-dip discounts, like a sale price coupled with the constant 15% or more off coupons, coupled with gift cards bought at 80 cents on the dollar. I'm talking about stuff like boxes of 9mm for $6. I still have almost $800 in gift cards. I couldn't even buy any ammo on Black Friday week. They had Federal Black box pistol ammo at $99, i.e. $79.10 with gift cards. Problem is they told me they had a $20 hazmat charge on it because of no internal boxes or dividers. Even though they were completely wrong and no other vendor is charging that fee, I couldn't get the ammo. I did get 4 pr of their wool socks for $13.97. I bought some last year. Best winter socks I've ever owned.

·
Registered
32,268 Posts
I do buy the Cabella's brand Jerky Seasoning. It is better and lower priced than what Academy sells.

Everything else, I go to Academy. I only typically buy what I am taking home with me, and not the atmosphere or the decore of the store, which remains in the store after I leave.

I have designed and decorated homes and businesses and have an appreciation of the Cabellas and Bass Pro Shops design and decore, and enjoy walking through them, and buying some of the snacks they have. Looking at their knife displays, particularly the Case brand knives really makes me feel like I got good deals on ebay. I would probably be willing to pay Cabela's or Bass Pro a $5 entry fee a couple of times a year to enjoy the Architecture and Decore, buy my jerky seasoning and feel good about purchases I made elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm in Va. Which Cabela's did you go to?
The one in Bristol at I81 exit 5. It is only about 3 years old and here is a BP 5 miles down the road but in Tennessee (state line runs through the very end of the shopping center that is undeveloped).

·
Super Moderator
21,901 Posts
I looked for Academy to run their black Friday sale on the Heritage 22 long/22 mag combo. That didn't happen.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts