Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, I was really surprised today. I am in the process of getting my CCL and went gun shopping today. I have been around handguns my whole life but never for carry. I usually just shoot them at deer camp and keep a Sig P230 in my bedside table. I wanted something with a little more thump for carry so I went to get a glock.

All I have read and heard about is how great Glocks are. Obviously, they are very good but they sure did not fit me. I was fortunate enough to shoot some range guns. Nothing felt like the PT145. This gun has a GREAT grip. After trying Sigs, Rugers, and Glocks, I am buying the Taurus in the morning. Several of my gun toting friends think I am nutts but this gun has it all IMO. I like the feel, look, safety features, size, and the 10+1 mag.

Am I crazy?

·
Super Moderator
21,796 Posts
You are vary wise Grasshopper :) If you have a Academy sports in your area they are only $299 and if somthing goes wrong they pay for shipping it back to get fixed. Just found that out myself as I'm going to buy one to next month. enjoy and let us know how it goes. :)

·
32,735 Posts
Nope. You're not crazy. I can bring up the links on the satisfied PT145 owners. It's a career to read them. LOL

For that matter I can bring up the links on the PT145 and ammo if it is so requested.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=6716.0
Just a primer if needed.

Like the Glocks, but they're too hefty in the handgrips for me no matter what the model.

PT145s have the slimmer grip and seem easier to hide for CCW carry.

·
Super Moderator
21,796 Posts
I agree. I have an XD-9 4" and that is a little big for all day carry. although its not as bad as I thought but I still like the PT145 better and at $299 its not a problem , God I love Taurus. Maybe we should be quite about how good of a gun they make I'd hate to pay double for it. :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't mean to imply that Glocks aren't great guns. I know that they are among the most reliable. BUT dang the PTs have a feel to them that was unmatched by any other. The Glock was a beefier gun and the compact one had a grip that would fit only a 6 y/o.

I have just discovered Taurus and I really think I am going to love this gun. BUT I haven't put many rounds through it. A .45 with 10+1, great safety options, lifetime warranty, easy to conceal, and a comfortable grip is a no brainer at any price! I couldn't find this with any other manufacturer I tried.

BTW. I picked one up at Academy for $299 this morning. If I like it after putting 1000 rounds through it, I am going back for the 9mm!

·
32,735 Posts
Not to worry. We have Glock and non -Glock owners who understand what you meant.

For instance and example:
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=6717.0

There are many of us who have Springfield XDs, Glocks, Tauri guns, or a combination of all the above.

Have an XD in 9mm. yet the PT111 Mil/pro would get the nod for CCW carry for the reasons stated by you already. Have a PT111 Mil/pro by the way.

The PT111 fits overall better,carries better, and can be shot better by the owner. Can't go wrong with that.

Why not the same for the PT145 if it does the same for you?

If you notice there are no anti-brand X gun threads at this forum. Might be a couple that escaped notice if even that. Just threads where what fits the owner is considered a good choice.

There may be reasons and common sense as to why " Brand X" wasn't picked, but the brand is given respect.

9mm. is cheaper than .45ACP to shoot, but if you folks like the .45ACP all is good and okay.

Both 9mm. and the .45ACP are excellent cartridges with excellent real world track records. Pick what you will, you'll be well served. Just have to pick good quality ammo for defense is all.

As Red Green from Canada (PBS here) says during " The Red Green Show", " I'm in there pulling for you. After all,we're all in this together." LOL

·
Super Moderator
21,796 Posts
+1 Qwiks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Grats on buying the PT145. I just got back from the range with mine, where I fired 150 trouble free rounds. Remington and Independence 230 gr FMJ and Winchester 230gr hollow points. I think the hollow points may even be a bit more accurate than the ball. You are gonna love your new Taurus :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
boykinhntr said:
A .45 with 10+1, great safety options, lifetime warranty, easy to conceal, and a comfortable grip is a no brainer at any price! I couldn't find this with any other manufacturer I tried.
I carry mine daily in a SmartCarry, never been made, comfortable & comforting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dont forget the PT140 it a great gun too.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
boykinhntr said:
Am I crazy?
Yes, but in a good way like the rest of us. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just got my PT145 back from Taurus on 7-18 after they repaired/replaced the "Firing Pin Safety" which broke on me after I fired around 30 rounds, fixed on their dime including shipping. I took it out to the range last Tuesday and ran about 300 rounds with zero problems. I want to run about 500 more rounds to feel a bit more trusting in it.

I like the way it feels in my hands and she is accurate once I get used to the sights, going from 3 dots to 2 dots with my old eyes takes a few shots to adjust but it's not hard. The PT145 conceals good in my TDI by Ka-Bar fanny pack with a pocket for an extra magazine. When I got it back from Taurus I stripped it down including removing the striker and gave it a good cleaning, they greased it up good. I shipped it on 6-11-08 and it was returned 7-18-08, a little over a month for the fix, not bad in my book and can't beat the life time warranty.

I also have the Taurus 24/7 OSS in .45 ACP and she runs like a champ and will also fit in the TDI fanny pack but the PT145 is lighter to carry. You did good and can't beat warranty in case of a problem!

Robert

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They certainly have some Taurus haters over there! I have to say that my experience with Tauri are limited. BUT this PT145 has impressed every single person that has shot it. I spent 3.5 hours at the range today. My buddy and I shot 750 rounds of .22lr(He just bought a new Sig Mosquito), 300 rounds of .45, 50 rounds of 9mm, and a few .357 mags, and a few .380s! It was a great day and the most i have ever shot in a day.

After shooting all of these guns, he told me that my Taurus was his favorite of the bunch and he is second guessing his P220. Honestly they are different animals but for a compact, the PT145 is suhwwwweet. 3 different guys at the range shot it and all 3 were drooling.

I guess Taurus has some issues but until I get burned, I am sold and now am looking at either a PT1911 or a 24/7 Pro. I just feel that you get a lot of gun for the money and no other feel as good in my hands.

·
32,735 Posts
Let it be known that no matter how much experience one has with brand ( little or lots), if the gun does what the owner wants and the owner is satisfied, that's all that counts.

What anyone else thinks is irrelevant. However having disruption at the level seen from disrespectful antagonists makes anything of substance near impossible,fun, or satisfaction almost impossible. Not the least is trying to have meaningful dialogue.

·
32,735 Posts
Notice that having other brands of guns is celebrated and encouraged here. Not there.

Rights to have open thought or dialogue are not allowed. Nor are facts considered relevant.

That all was to be bullies.

·
Registered
58 Posts
boykinhntr said:
BTW. I picked one up at Academy for $299 this morning. If I like it after putting 1000 rounds through it, I am going back for the 9mm!
I myself started with the PT111 SS DAO 2nd gen and after 500 trouble free rounds, I bought the PT140 SS DAO also 2nd gen. Now I also own the PT145 PRO SS SA/DA 3rd gen which alternates with the other two as concealed carry. I was very surprised the first time I shot the PT145, aside from NO FTF or FTE's, the recoil was very manageable and very accurate for a short barreled 45. Infact, the recoil was even better than my full sized 1911. I am just not sure why other people don't like them! I am very happy with mine!

Good luck and I hope you will get that PT145 in the company of it's little brothers! :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I ended up with a PT140 after shopping around the same way. I had narrowed it down to the M&P compact and the Taurus. After holding the Millennium I was sold. Since then, I've put 500+ rounds through it without any problems. I agree about the Glock. They've got a great reputation (aside from a few slide issues), but the way it held and the lack of a thumb safety stopped me from even looking at them. I'm thinking about getting the PT111 as well (make the trips to the range a little less expensive)...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts