Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My youngest was home on a weekend pass, so we decided to go bang out a few rounds this morning. The Canik exceeded my expectations, BTW(once I figured out the sights and the extremely short reset on the trigger). My son now wants one of his own.

We wrapped up the day on the smallbore range, shooting the little gongs they have set up for the kiddos with the M22A. About halfway through a brick of T-bolt, the thing starts acting up. Won't go into battery, FTE, FTF, and that's when I noticed the rear sight wasn't sitting right. We broke it down and..........the hook on the rear was gone. :eek: Snapped clean off, and must have fallen out during one of our shoots. Without it, the barrel assembly was shifting with every shot. We looked, but between the 6" of snow and grass, we never found the snapped off piece. So, I sent S&W an email just a bit ago. The kid is bummed out, as he thinks doing defensive double-tap drills broke it.

I read several stories of people getting brand-new Victory pistols when theirs broke, so we will see.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Not funny (yes laughing) Had key word HAD a M&P Shield in 9mm kept throwing rear sight 1st I took responsibility had it fixed out of my pocket 2nd Time It was a Smith/Wesson fix when it came back to my gun store it was quickly traded to a Hipoint.. Used at that and Still Running..

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had the same on a first generation high round count 22A happening. At that time S&W supported the gun and sent me the new style rib with the riveted claw, the old one I had was a cast one-piece part. The breakage on the later design is usually considered to have happened because the buffer was worn and not changed.

My 22A also had the frame break around 60,000 rounds and S&W built a new frame with the same serial number back then.

I think, S&W's warranty department will not disappoint you.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, have an RA number, and waiting on the FedEx label in my inbox.

Andyd, going off of your info, mine was a 1st Gen pistol. I changed the buffer every 5K per the book, and still have one left over from a batch of 10 I ordered in 2014. What really sucks is I had just dumped $65 on two new mags, and they have never been loaded. :(

·
21,965 Posts
But S&W are top shelf firearms, from an old American company! You must be mistaken. :rolleyes:

Seriously, that's aggravating. Hope you get it fixed quickly.

·
Administrator
17,596 Posts
Sorry to read of your problems with your S&W M22A and hope that S&W gets you fixed up straight away!
I've had both excellent (4506, SW9VE, M10) and marginal (M19, M39) service from S&W handguns.
I tend to believe that the good out weighs the bad.

My youngest was home on a weekend pass, so we decided to go bang out a few rounds this morning. The Canik exceeded my expectations, BTW(once I figured out the sights and the extremely short reset on the trigger). My son now wants one of his own.
Not surprised there. My Canik TP9V1 and my Canik made TriStar T120 tend to be crowd pleasers at my Club's Indoor Range.
I carry my TP9V1 often! Glad yours is working out well for you! :smile:

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Nobody here will likely know what I'm referencing, but when I read the thread title I thought of it being spoken in an exaggerated Scottish accent.

Anyway, sorry to hear about that. Hopefully S&W will straighten the whole thing out for you in short order.

Reactions: ManxTom

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it's in the hands of FedEx now. I'll keep this updated when I have more info.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought I'd update. I received the (canned)confirmation from S&W yesterday that it was in the hands of the gunsmith. I should hear back in 1-2 weeks after the smith evaluates it.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, nothing from S&W......except a notification from FedEx yesterday afternoon. Package was coming overnight, and I wasn't home when they came by. I'm trying to sweet talk the wife into swinging by on her way home from work and nabbing it. According to the tracking info, the weight is off quite a bit from what went out(5.4lbs out, 3.8lbs coming back), so hoping they didn't just grind it up and mail it back. :p

Reactions: loudviking

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wife just got home, and handed me the box. They actually did a fix on the hook, checked the headspace, test fired it, and inspected the frame. Wife is toying with me picking up a newer .22 semi later, and letting Jr have this one. Repair seems solid enough, and wraps around the back of the rail and under the rear sight. I'll try to snap a couple of pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, sorry for the pic delay. I was talking to the youngest earlier tonight, and he made an observation. "Uhhhh......dad.....that's not the original rail. Rear sight and the rail is too clean." So, I took a closer look, and he's right. Somehow, some way, they had a Gen 2 rail lying around. My original had wear marks on the rail, narrow front sight, and a boogered up screw on the rear sight. So, I checked the paperwork again, and totally missed the second page. So, pic of the new tail hook.

The second page was a parts list, sans part numbers.

-Complete top rail, M22A, black
-Extractor, 2nd Gen, black
-Firing pin, SS
-Recoil spring
-Recoil buffer x2

I found a new one in the gun, and a second one buried under the case foam. I went ahead and ordered a few more from an eBay seller who has NOS buffers 4/$20 shipped. Now that's customer service.

I don't plan on shooting it very much, however, I don't plan on getting rid of it either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts