Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After over 6 years of my target shooting hobby just being tolerated by the missus, this Christmas she buys me a spotting scope.

But that's not the main shock.

Today she turns around and says 'Why don't you start hunting phesants, rabbits and the like?'

Apparently Bambi is out, not because they are too cute, it's just that we don't have anywhere to store a deer. However, I think I could still go for that as a mate has storeage facilities.

I explained that a .357, .45LC or a 9mm is not the rifle for a rabbit, let alone a deer, and I would also need a shotgun for phesant/grouse, - not a flicker of an objection from she who must be obeyed!

I suppose my .22lr would do for rabbits, but that 12" carbon barrel might be too short for hunting?

I know I will have to apply for a hunting FAC but I do have mates who hunt both in and out of my target club so I think it shouldn't be too difficult to sort out.

Woo hoo! Wheres that pesky wabbit?

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Congrats! Sounds like great news. Now, don't let her down, become the great hunter she's expecting. Of course you know you'll need a proper rifle and a shotgun. ;)

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
After over 6 years of my target shooting hobby just being tolerated by the missus, this Christmas she buys me a spotting scope.

But that's not the main shock.

Today she turns around and says 'Why don't you start hunting phesants, rabbits and the like?'

Apparently Bambi is out, not because they are too cute, it's just that we don't have anywhere to store a deer. However, I think I could still go for that as a mate has storeage facilities.

I explained that a .357, .45LC or a 9mm is not the rifle for a rabbit, let alone a deer, and I would also need a shotgun for phesant/grouse, - not a flicker of an objection from she who must be obeyed!

I suppose my .22lr would do for rabbits, but that 12" carbon barrel might be too short for hunting?

I know I will have to apply for a hunting FAC but I do have mates who hunt both in and out of my target club so I think it shouldn't be too difficult to sort out.

Woo hoo! Wheres that pesky wabbit?
Cool! I don't think I ever shot a rabbit that wasn't moving, but more power to you if you can nail them with a .22. Shotgun's a lot easier - just make sure you get all the pellets out, or chew gingerly. Pretty hard on the teeth otherwise.

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
As hearing semiauto & pump shotguns are a bit more difficult to procure in your neck of the woods, I'd like to suggest a nice field grade 12 bore double in either side by sde or over under configuration.

CZ's or one of the Turkish imports (Huglu, Yildez etc.) would probably be the most affordable.

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
Congrats, you are a lucky man!

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Did you post this as soon as you woke up? You better pinch yourself to make sure this is not a dream.

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, we are allowed moderators so it isn't too hard to get a couple of rabbits before they realize whats up (doc) and semi-auto or pump shotguns are allowed, with a maximum of 3 shell (2 in the mag, one in the breech) capacity. If I need more than 3 shells to get a rabbit I might just give up!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Made some enquieries and found that I can bunny bash with a .22 air rifle without a hunting or vermin licence, but need to find a friendly farmer/land owner for permission.

Shooting .22lr for rabbit is more complicated, the land has to be large enough, with safety zones and backstops etc, so I will try my luck with the air rifle.

Partridge or phesant shooting is a whole new ballgame, a shotgun is needed, and as I let my shotgun licence lapse I would have to re-apply. That's not the problem though, game bird shooting is big business and at £30 a bird too rich for my blood.

So its bunny bashing I'm going to go for.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Did you post this as soon as you woke up? You better pinch yourself to make sure this is not a dream.
I wonder if it was a dream...or did his wife really say this to him? :confused::D

Reactions: MissKitty

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Congrats! Enjoy your new hobby.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
That must have been a shock!

.22 is fine for rabbit, I've used a Rugger Bearcat with barrel a little over 4 inches before with both .22 short and .22 lr.

Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Good hunting !
A side note, if you really want some bambi and have the weapon for it ( even a bow as a temorary fix ) contact some local butchers. When I was in Calif I did wild pig hunting and had a deal with the butcher that he would cut it up and store it for a portion of the kill.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
My brothers and I all used a 22LR for tree rats and the same shotguns for rabbits and pheasants, of course rabbits were usually on the run and pheasants had to be on the wing just to be sporting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You need to keep that lady.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Lucky devil to have a missus that is so understanding!!

·
Registered
14,594 Posts
The UK and RABBITS? Won't you need the holy handgrenade; the one brother maynard carries?
Congrats on getting the permission of she who must be obeyed. perhaps taking her along on a range trip might be in order.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Whats up doc, Warner brothers wont be happy about shooting rabbits.

Does not matter what cal, just club em with the old stock, remember fix bayonets
and you can skin them at the same time.

Good hunting.

Funny how us english have to get the wifes permission before we do things. LOL

1 - 20 of 29 Posts