Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
9,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I love the promise on Cimarron's owner card.."every firearm is thoroughly inspected for function and cosmetic blemishes prior to shipment" 5 years ago I bought a new Cimarron 1875 from Cabelas. Had nasty blemishes on the finish and timing problems..That one only cost me $105 for repair for a broke out of box in warranty revolver. It spent 3 months in the "repair shop" before it came back with more finish damage, but at least it ran ok..so I sold it at a fair loss.
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Office supplies

fast forward to today, been wanting to add a SA 45 colt to my big bores, and loved the remington 1875 look, and the right side full length ejector rod..heck only $468 + shipping..So for a bit over $500, I brought this new Cimarron copy and well, that's when the fun ended.
Me and Don both noticed an occasional failure of no hammer lock back. But since he won't send back for me..it is not sold from his store..I took it home, did a little inspection. Found the hammer strain screw way backed out, ok..screwed it in, hoping that would fix the issue..but nope it won't make it past 4 turns before the hammer won't lock back. Ok dropped the trigger guard and inspected springs, all looked ok. Tried to remove the grips...nope ain't happening..Uberti glued in the grip nut to the grip and glued the screw into it..Ok I know I can eventually get it out,, but I know what Cimarron will say if I do. did blow out the action with gunscrubber carefully so as not to get any on the grips. Then did a light lube and blew that into the action. The cylinder is also slightly out of spec ( but that is another thing I can fix). So what the heck maybe it just needs to be shot abit. Nope...Made it through two rounds and the hammer started failing again.
Done. Going back to Cimarron, hopefully they will fix it and correct the grip issue. Once they fix , I will handle repairs..don't want to sell it. may try Taylors and company next . Thanks had to vent.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I've only heard good things about Cimarron before, but it's good to know because one day I'd like to get a Single Action Army clone for myself, and Cimarron would have otherwise been the brand that I looked to first. Having read this, I'd probably just go with a Ruger Vaquero.

Hopefully you can get this issue resolved in a satisfactory manner.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Ironic. I bought a Uberti Cattleman 1873 SAA knock off a couple of years ago - .357/.38sp. I have several hundred rounds down range with nary a problem. Must admit, I was a tad skeptical because of the manufacturer and their ties with Cimarron. I'm pleasantly surprised. The gun is smooth, good fit and finish, after a couple of hundred rounds, the trigger smoothed out. I've done a little internal polishing and burr removal, but all in all, I'm quite happy with the gun, and it was a lot less expensive than a Vaquero (which I really coveted, but could not rationalize).

·
Administrator
41,830 Posts
My experience with Cimarron-Uberti has been great. I own three SAA 45 Colt revolvers, which have been perfectly fine. My first, I ordered on line. The next two I bought down in Fredericksburg Texas at Texas Jacks on two separate occasions. Each of these are of different barrel lengths.
I also own a Ruger Vaquero Old Model in 45 Colt. Love that thing too.

·
Super Moderator
22,445 Posts
Wow I couldn't tell you how many times I've had one in my hands and was going to buy it! They say that they're the best on the market! Maybe not aargh!

·
Super Moderator
41,287 Posts
sorry for your troubles .would it not be nice if taurus started making the gaucho line of single actions again ? my .357
has worked flawlessly for many years ----- View attachment 491803
Sweet revolver , I could be a buyer if they reintroduced them.

Reactions: silverstring

·
Registered
609 Posts
Sweet revolver , I could be a buyer if they reintroduced them.
yep, me too --as much as i like my 3 ruger blackhawk single actions , i don`t know that i could afford to
replace them at todays prices . a decent quality lower cost alternative would be nice . .327 maybe ? .357- 9mm
convertible - .45 acp , on and on -------

·
Registered
11,091 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problems, will be following the repair's.

·
Administrator
19,168 Posts
Sorry to read of your troubles with this Revolver and hope you get them resolved well. :(

·
Registered
323 Posts
Uberti can be hit and miss. My experience with Cimarron has been pretty good so far. The best Uberti manufactured SA’s I have are Cimarron branded. The worst revolver I’ve had period is a tie between a Ruger Wrangler and a Uberti manufactured, Taylor’s branded 1871 navy. Both were unusable out of the box.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts