Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
13,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needed to do a quick unexpected concealment of my PT111 G2 the other day due to unexpected guest. I had posted the question of concealment of my PT111 in the freezer in an earlier post. So when this unexpected need occurred I was in the rear foyer near the freezer so I was quick to remove the magazine and place the PT111 in the freezer where it remained for a couple of days. The freezer stays at a constant "0" degrees.

When I removed the pistol yesterday morning needless to say it was cold. It looked the same as when I placed it in on top of a few briskets. I took it to the kitchen where I sat in on the island while I went to retrieve the magazine from it's stored location. When I returned to the kitchen I thought WOW, I would have sworn that my PT111 as an all black gun. Yet there is sat on the kitchen island with a "Stainless Look" slide. It took a few minutes before that "stainless look" melted away and the slide went back to it's original black finish.

I did a take down of the pistol and was totally amazed at how much ice and frost had formed both outside and inside the pistol. I laid it on a couple of paper towels as I let it go though it's own as time allows melt down procedure.

Upon this finding, I don't believe I will be storing any pistols in the freezer as a concealment location with any expectations of being called upon to serve as personal protection.

Just thought I would share my findings. I did also make note that even with the frame of the PT111 frosted over the grip provided a great surface to grasp the pistol firmly in hand.

·
Registered
31,917 Posts
God is gonna get you for that! :)

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
I am glad you found this out before the need of use was required. Thanks for sharing this report, now maybe others will refrain from putting theirs in the freezer.:thumb::thumb:

·
Premium Member
13,118 Posts
With a lot of guns you pay extra for the melted treatment.

Reactions: jonrjen and Stroker

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Good thing you didn't try to see if it would stick to your tongue. LOL

Back in the days of yore when it actually would get really cold in south Texas one of our favorite sports for rubes was to get one to lick the school flag pole during a biting freeze. If that pole still exists I would bet it has generations upon generations of DNA on it. LOL

·
Registered
13,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any unexpected guest would see my gun on top of the freezer before I would ever place it in the freezer.

Edit:I can't think of any guest I would let in my house that I would have to hide a gun from.Not a personal attack on you just me thinking out loud.
These were child like creatures aging from 3 years of age up to 8 years of age. Safety first, and safety last. Concern for damage to the firearm be damned. Just my priorities and choice.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
These were child like creatures aging from 3 years of age up to 8 years of age. Safety first, and safety last. Concern for damage to the firearm be damned. Just my priorities and choice.
I have scurried around the house many a time when small child like creatures show up unexpectedly. I have found that high and out of sight works best for me, then I just have to remember where I put everything after they leave...:)

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I can hear it now: "Honey, what's for dinner?" "Oh the usual dear; 9mm brisket and a side of Taurus."

·
Registered
762 Posts
Just a thought but wouldn't this have been a "teachable moment" for the youngsters? Teaching gun safety applies to all ages.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I hear ya.:D

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Ever think about mounting a holster on the back of the freezer, just out of sight but not out of reach.

·
Registered
13,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ever think about mounting a holster on the back of the freezer, just out of sight but not out of reach.
I have a couple of pistol magnets on order that will be here this coming week. IN the mean time you do what you have to do in a moments notice. I could have removed the pistol after getting the boys down for the night, but after my other post about freezing a poly pistol I guess I took on the role of Myth Busters for a moment and left it in the freezer for a few extra days.

And now we know the rest of the story,

·
Registered
31,917 Posts
I have a couple of pistol magnets on order that will be here this coming week. IN the mean time you do what you have to do in a moments notice. I could have removed the pistol after getting the boys down for the night, but after my other post about freezing a poly pistol I guess I took on the role of Myth Busters for a moment and left it in the freezer for a few extra days.

And now we know the rest of the story,
I think you need to go further, take it out of the freezer, immediately insert a mag and fire a mag full to see how it shoots and if it will shatter the frame. Make sure you use armored gloves and a face shield! :)

·
Registered
13,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think you need to go further, take it out of the freezer, immediately insert a mag and fire a mag full to see how it shoots and if it will shatter the frame. Make sure you use armored gloves and a face shield! :)
I would have to walk up the drive and across the street so that I would be out of the city limits and in the county. Or down two houses on my side of the street.

By the time I got there the pistol would have thawed. I guess I could use an ice chest.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts