Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying, without much success, to find details about my M669 and I thought I'd really come to the end of the trail so to speak. Then I get an email from a guy in Taurus USA asking me for the usual details, serial number, importer's stamp etc..

OK, serial number I can do. Importer's stamp..?? Can't find one, anywhere and believe me, I've looked. I used a jeweler's loup, took 40 odd macro photos, even prayed to the Great Gun Guru. Nothing, not a solitary mark that would suggest it's an importation stamp..!!

So I email back telling the guy all this, even sending a few photos and informing him I have lots more IF he wants them.. an hour later, a reply. "If your revolver has no importer's stamp then it doesn't exist.." he said. Then what the hell is this rather large lump of metal and wood sitting in front of me on my desk..!!

So this went on for a few more emails in a lighthearted manner, even though by this time I had steam emmiting from my ears.. Anyway, a thought came to me that the dealer I bought the 669 off remarked that it had come, to him, from Germany.. Ah ha..!!

So I emailed the guy at Taurus and told him. "Well that's it. That's why there's no stamp on it. They don't do them..!! It could be a grey import..".

So, in a nutshell, What I now now about my 669 is this...

It was made between 1988 and 1998. Except for the non-vented barrel rib it's identical to the Taurus 689. It has a target hammer and trigger added in Germany. It's route from Brazil to Europe appears to be somewhat shrouded in mystery. I'll never know more about it than I do right now..

I didn't know I didn't know all that...!!

Happy shooting chaps.;)

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
That's a neat story! Every gunsafe needs a conversation piece!

·
22,292 Posts
If it came from Germany, does it have German proof marks?

You can seem them on this revolver, on the frame just above the crane, in front of the cylinder.

DSC09577.JPG

They are required if a gun is going to be sold in Germany. If it was just moved through, though, then your revolver may not have them.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ghost Horse.. I re-checked the 669 and found this... what appears to be a proof mark, but nothing else, like there is on yours. And it's quite difficult to make out exactly what it is..

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts