Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
However it happens?

Health issues have kept me from the reloading bench for a while, and just yesterday, I was able to approach the work again. A few little flakes of 700-X had fallen into the press, and it seemed to be hanging up on something, and so, I decided to take the thing apart, clean and - - GOOD HEAVENS ! In my absence, one of the parts (for you guys who have a LEE Loadmaster) the 1/4" square rod part of the empty cartridge feed system was rusted. Well, I got the ever-present 7/16" combination wrench and loosened the rod from the bracket and cleaned and oiled it and when reinstalling the rod, twisted off the 1/4-20 bolt that holds it in place.

No way can I remove the bracket with the rod in place, so I had to remove the press from the bench.

Unscrewed the bracket from the press frame, spilled about 50 grains of 700-X all over the bench and floor, and in trying to catch the errant feed bracket with rod attached, spilled 350 130gr Truncated conical bullets among the powder and other detritus.

I got the bullets picked up, and Mrs. Flash's basememt-vacuum was closer than her broom.

Yeah. YEAH, I KNOW ! I got about 25 grains up before her vacuum ignited. Fortunately, I was working with a long hose, so the rest is safe.

Lowe's had a new vacuum at $49.95

Now Mrs Flash has a new vacuum. At $49.95, plus tax and dinner out.

At least the Shrimp Diablo was worth it.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
I'm not sure, but I think you may have a decent lawsuit against the manufacture of the vacuum cleaner. Did it have one of those bright yellow or red warning labels that stated "Do Not Vacuum Gun Powder with this machine"?

Some one may have gotten hurt, injured, or killed due to the manufactures neglect.

My reasoning is in line with the mandated "Do Not Put Your Hand Under the Deck of the Mower, While the Blade is Engaged".

Happy to hear all are safe and the meal was great. Have a great day!!

·
Registered
18,481 Posts
My philosophy has always been that if nobody died and the building's still standin', its been a pretty good day.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
I quit my mechanicing a few years back-
Reason given: I like being retired. (Truth: I break things now) (guess I have lost my sense of torque)

·
Supporting Moderator
14,825 Posts
1. You are not as strong as you once were, when loosen wheel lug nuts.

2. You are stronger than you think, when tightening anything smaller than 5/16” diameter.

3. Where was I yesterday, when you needed help. (Right here with the answer .... wait? What was the question again?)

🤣

·
Super Moderator
35,529 Posts
Thanks for the warning, I always have used my shop vac to pick up spilled powder. I wondered about the practicality of that process, and now I know. Back to the broom and dustpan.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Confirmation: No good deed goes unpunished.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Not similar, but kind of reminds me of all the times I thought my finish work should look a little better, and the can of worms opened by not leaving well enough alone.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank goodness LEE has a free replacement policy if it ever breaks. Vacuum and dinner took nearly all of a C-note

·
8,326 Posts
Arghh what a pain. Everytime I get just a slight distraction while reloading, something always goes wrong. Most often I knock the primer tray off, or the powder hopper. Then its time to begin the cleanup and restart. Broom and dust pan are the only way to go with dropped powder.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Reminds me of the time I got the bright idea to use my electric leaf blower, vac, mulcher to grind up some horse manure.
Every thing was going fine feeding it slowly, I decided to increase the flow, that's when i got nice flames.

i was using the manure to fertilize the front lawn.

·
21,935 Posts
Reminds me of the time I got the bright idea to use my electric leaf blower, vac, mulcher to grind up some horse manure.
Every thing was going fine feeding it slowly, I decided to increase the flow, that's when i got nice flames.

There you go folks, only on TaurusArmed.net; actual tales of the you-know-what hitting the fan!

...I'm really starting to enjoy this thread.:D

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Where oh where is the double like button?

There you go folks, only on TaurusArmed.net; actual tales of the you-know-what hitting the fan!

...I'm really starting to enjoy this thread.:D

Reactions: GhostHorse

·
Super Moderator
35,529 Posts

Thanks for the laugh.

Reactions: bigC

·
Registered
18,481 Posts
I prob'ly shouldn't admit to this but I've actually had a fire extinguisher burst into flames.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Details!
We want details!
I prob'ly shouldn't admit to this but I've actually had a fire extinguisher burst into flames.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Somebody has to ask, so I guess it might as well be me. WHY?

Reactions: bigC
1 - 20 of 22 Posts