Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my welcome to country living this morning. The neighbor has 15 horses, they got on my property last night and they nust have been here for a few hours before we woke up. They went right back through the hole in the fence that they came through quite easily. The only problem was all the poop they left behind! I spent an hour or more picking it all up out of the yard. I'm okay with it though, the neighbor is a good guy and stuff happens. I still think the horses are better neighbors than the ones where I lived before!

Will

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Should have spread it around! Good for the grass.

Sarge

Reactions: btleslie

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
If you garden save it for that. Otherwise if the wife will let it set a week or so run over it with the mower and it will spread real well and you'll have some really green grass.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
What is a "yard"?

I got my welcome to country living this morning. The neighbor has 15 horses, they got on my property last night and they nust have been here for a few hours before we woke up. They went right back through the hole in the fence that they came through quite easily. The only problem was all the poop they left behind! I spent an hour or more picking it all up out of the yard. I'm okay with it though, the neighbor is a good guy and stuff happens. I still think the horses are better neighbors than the ones where I lived before!

Will

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
5 Acres? That'll do, especially come mowing time.

·
Registered
31,695 Posts
Reminds me of a bad story I had when I was 25, my dad was county agent, lived in the country. I went to a class reunion, danced with an old girl friend, made my wife mad. Got stopped by a new Deputy, who explained he was watching an old farm house for people selling drugs, apologized for stopping me and went back to his car.
My wife at the time got out of her side of the car and asked the deputy to take her home that I was drunk.

Long story short, I was booked for DWI. A friend of mine's grandmother talked to the judge about the charge. The Judge called my dad to his office, said he would reduce the charge to loud mufflers and fine me $25.

The county attorney wouldn't buy it and insisted on a $200 fine.

A year later, the county attorney came to my dad's office to inquire about 18 head of his cattle that had gotten out of his pasture in case anyone reported them. Dad informed the county attorney he had found 28 head of cattle on his place the previous evening and penned them. The county attorney asked if it would be okay to bring a trailer and take his cattle home. Dad told him there was a matter of money for feed and damages to be settled first. The charge, $200! :)

The county attorney made no argument. As for me, the marriage had already ended!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
5 Acres? That'll do, especially come mowing time.
The wife does the mowing, I am going to buy her a new rider this spring though! I told her it's a six pack yard, I should be able to at least drink a six pack watching her mow the yard from the porch. I'm a lucky man!

Will

·
Registered
31,695 Posts
The wife does the mowing, I am going to buy her a new rider this spring though! I told her it's a six pack yard, I should be able to at least drink a six pack watching her mow the yard from the porch. I'm a lucky man!

Will
With a probable short life span!

·
10,379 Posts
LoL ya have to love country living. My ma's horses frequently get out and visit her neighbors. Horses can be as bad as pigs when it comes to fences...except if they can't think their way out of the fence...they'll just jump the stupid thing.

Over last summer and fall my neighbor's cows have apparently decided that the old adage "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" needed to be investigated...and apparently it was.

For about a month and a half I'd get up in the morning and find upwards of 5 cows in my hay fields any given day. I don't have any livestock of my own at this time, so they really didn't bother me (hell, they weren't damaging anything), I just want to make sure some yahoo doesn't come flyin' down the road and hit one of 'em (I've seen it...NOT a pleasant thing for any of the involved parties) so I'd usually give 'em a couple hours to graze and then have Tasha (my shepherd) send 'em on home. All said and done, they (the neighbor, not the cows<g>) wanted to give me 25# of freezer meat when he gets some of the cattle to the butcher for not calling the cops on his wayward cows (who the hell does that?) or complaining about the hay they ate. I told him not to bother, didn't cost me a thing and they were fairly entertaining to watch, the calves were hysterical to watch escape the fence...could almost hear the Mission Impossible theme song while they were checking out the fence sections for weaknesses.

Now, after that mower comment, I hope like hell you don't ever buy yer wife a skidsteer<g>.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
The wife insisted that I pick it up. I have learned after 3 wives to do what they want most of the time! Number 3 has been the charm though.

Will
You are nicer than I am. If mine wanted it moved, I'd have told her "there's the shovel"! :D

·
Registered
31,695 Posts

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
And what # wife are you married to?
#1! :D She's a Texas panhandle country girl, did some living north of the border (in Oklahoma) and has slung her fair share of shit! One of many reasons I love her!

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
I need to keep this wife, she is a good one! I have to be careful if she goes to the gun shop with me, she always convinces me that I deserve another gun. She's a keeper!

Will
Sounds like a good one!

:DNo matter how hard my wife and I try to get rid of each other we are both too stubborn to give the other one the satisfaction of leaving! :D

·
Registered
848 Posts
Reminds me of a bad story I had when I was 25, my dad was county agent, lived in the country. I went to a class reunion, danced with an old girl friend, made my wife mad. Got stopped by a new Deputy, who explained he was watching an old farm house for people selling drugs, apologized for stopping me and went back to his car.
My wife at the time got out of her side of the car and asked the deputy to take her home that I was drunk.

Long story short, I was booked for DWI. A friend of mine's grandmother talked to the judge about the charge. The Judge called my dad to his office, said he would reduce the charge to loud mufflers and fine me $25.

The county attorney wouldn't buy it and insisted on a $200 fine.

A year later, the county attorney came to my dad's office to inquire about 18 head of his cattle that had gotten out of his pasture in case anyone reported them. Dad informed the county attorney he had found 28 head of cattle on his place the previous evening and penned them. The county attorney asked if it would be okay to bring a trailer and take his cattle home. Dad told him there was a matter of money for feed and damages to be settled first. The charge, $200! :)

The county attorney made no argument. As for me, the marriage had already ended!

Great story Jake. Thanks for the laugh.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts