Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went with 2 friends today shooting who are roughly new to the sport...................
One of them is female, very small girl, and wanted to try a heavy caliber, so after thinking about it
I grabbed the .44 mag Tracker( yeah,I know) and the PT1911 and away I went.
Trust me when I say I did not just hand her the revolver and sat back with a beer to watch the show, I explained too her about
the hell she was about to unleash upon the shooting range and explained the recoil it was going to give her.
She lined up on the target in single action and pulled the trigger, to say she handled it well is an understatement( barrel came real close
to imparting a divot in her forehead) but she did really good! Only took one shot before she handed it back to me and was done with .44 mag.
Here is what is weird, was using some ammo that I can't remember where I got it(Texas stamped 44.mag steel case?) and loaded it back up for her boyfriend
and when he tried to shoot it, first 2 rounds nothing, no bang, gave the revolver back to me and it went through all 5 no problems!..................
I shot another 25 rounds of this ammo( getting the empties out was a chore!) and loaded 5 more for the boy friend again, and guess what, same damn thing again!
No bang, until he gave it back to me, went through that 5 and one more cylinder full and had to call it quits for the day. But frankly, can a gun love it's owner and not like someone else?
I kidd you not, it ran fine for me, him it just did not want to shoot, I did shoot the next round or 2 and gave it back to him and he could finish off the cylinder, but it is just strange.
Don;t know if this stuff had hard primers or what, but it ran fine for me the whole time......................
Guess it just knows who it's caretaker is.........................:)

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I had two cars like that. If I loaned either to my mother to drive, it would not run the following day. My step father got really mad one day when I wouldn't loan the current one I had at the time. So for peace, I had to loan it to her and rode my bike to work. The very next day he got the keys from her and went out to start it up to prove I was full of crap. It wouldn't start. I rode my bike to work that day too. He messed with it for 5 hours and couldn't find a problem.

The next morning, it fired up on the first turn of the key. I didn't have to loan her a vehicle ever again after that.

Maloy

·
Administrator
40,259 Posts
That is odd. Important thing is, that you all safely had a blast!:thumb:

Reactions: loudviking

·
Registered
19,306 Posts
Can't say I've ever seen it with guns but often with tools and machines. Contrary to popular belief, inanimate objects can indeed cop an attitude.

·
22,958 Posts
“Because Boa* loves me, he gives me five more miles of speed than a stranger would get from him.” T. E. Lawrence, speaking of his Brough Superior SS100 motorcycle.

* Short for Boanerges - Sons of Thunder

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
That is not uncommon with semi auto style hand guns especially with light for caliber loads, it's called "limp wristing". I've never seen what you experienced with a revolver....but, weird stuff happens!!

·
Registered
19,306 Posts
I've seen this a lot with welders and cutting torches. I've got a buddy that my big welder doesn't like, can't run a bead with it to save his life but it works great for me and a few others I've let use it. Another guy can't get my torches to work...:unsure:...even if I'm not kinkin' the hoses or messin' with the regulator while he's not lookin'.

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
MY guess is that the Boyfriend was born/ raised in kalifornia and its in his DNA to not be able to fire a weapon!

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, got done tearing the Tracker apart and can't find a damn thing wrong with it?
Ether hard primers on that crappy ammo, or the gun just didn't like the guy shooting it.........................

·
Registered
384 Posts
I had a Colt Trooper that would fire in DA all of the time but if you lingered in SA it would be a light hit and not fire. I got a new spring from Jack First and it works fine after installing the new spring. Simple enough to do.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Sounds like you guys had fun!

I personally wouldn't assume it's a mystery, I'd say it was probably a coincidence that he happened to have the gun when that ammo or those primers decided not to work. Probably good practice ammo but you might use something else for hunting or competing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts