Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using my .45, the web of my hand gets nipped when firing. It isn't the slide but maybe a part called the Tang? Other than changing the grip of my hand, any ideas?

·
Registered
140 Posts
By .45 do you mean a 1911? Often the hammer will bite the web if the grip safety is not a beaver tail. I had to replace the grip safety to a wider beaver tail style. Problem solved.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Just FYI "tang" reffers to the upper back part if the grip.

See where the metal piece is sticking out a bit from the back of the grip? That's the tang. This particular gun has a safety in that area and that's what the metal piece is.

Springfield-XD-45.jpg

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Hold onto the gun a little tighter and don't let it move around in your hand. You may also see your accuracy improve as well.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Not all guns fit all people. You may have large hands or smaller fat hands....

There are guns that some people never have a problem with but if I shoot them I get bit!

Don

Reactions: btleslie

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
I usually use thin shooting gloves on range (full or 3/4 finger), but then I'm usually shooting several guns and many rounds. In real life use, doubt I would notice the pinch or bite, but not going to let my fun on range be uncomfortable, so recommend gloves. YMMV

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Hold onto the gun a little tighter and don't let it move around in your hand. You may also see your accuracy improve as well.
I completely agree with this. No limpwristing. It will make a world of difference.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
This is what's happening: I am guessing here you have large hands or chubby hands (I have the latter). As the pistol fires, the pistol wants to pivot up, driving the top of the tang into the web of your hand, enough to roll just a little skin onto where the hammer meets the tang. Just in time for the hammer to catch it and give you a love bite. Try gripping slightly lower, and check between shots to see if the pistol grip slips down in your hand. So far I have had 2 pistols that did that to me.... now they belong to the wife, lol. Her hands are much skinnier than mine. I then got a pistol with a nice beavertail (para and taurus pt1911), havent had a problem since.

Or you can just keep going until you build up a callous. Cheer up, its better than slide-bite. One of mt relatives shot a little beretta 25 auto, put both thumbs behind the slide (one on top of the other) and sliced into the thumb knuckle enough to leave blood all over the pistol and needed immediate bandaging.

·
8,823 Posts
Lightweight flexible gloves - I use mechanix brand. I use gloves when I am testing a newly repaired or serviced firearm,and occasionally when shooting big caliber revolvers/pistols. Cheap fix , and will protect your hands should something bad happen , or your grip slips a little and the back of the slide finds your hand.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
That's why I no longer own compact semi autos.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Try sticking a piece of duct tape over the web of your hand if you don't like gloves, see if that helps.

·
Super Moderator
19,944 Posts
I suffered hammer bite when initially shooting my RIA 1911. It was of the original hammer and grip safety design. I ordered and changed out the original hammer and grip safety with a Wilson Combat hammer (with new strut) and a Wilson Large Beavertail grip safety. No smithing required as these were all drop in parts. Took care of the hammer bite too!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts