Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe it is just me, but through all of my firearms training, I have always been trained when referring to a gun as a firearm, and not as a weapon. This was reiterated through my hunter safety course I took when I was 15, and the instructor put it as you don't need a weapon to go hunting, you aren't in a fight.

Why do so many people refer to guns in normal conversation as a weapon? That doesn't do anything to promote the sight of guns not being this evil item. Yes, guns can be used as weapons, but they are also used for so many other things that its not really appropriate to refer to them as weapons at all times.

Plus, firearm helps take some of the evilness away that people associate with guns.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Most people have hand guns for home protection and plan on using it to fight for their life. So I guess in that instance it is a weapon!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
It is ingrained in some people through their training or influences to call it one or the other. Generally, if you're military you'd better call it a weapon, if you are associated with the NRA you'd better not call it that.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
ya i noticed a lot of people call it a weapon also.. personally i prefer to call it a firearm.

·
22,058 Posts
Just a thought. A baseball bat is a toy or tool of the game. When used in defense or the commision of a crime it is a weapon. A car is a form of transportation but when used by a criminal to run down an officer it is a weapon. I consider my pistols and long guns tools for hunting and toys or tools for competition. If you try to rob or attack my family, me or my home you better believe the first one of my tools or toys I can get my hands on becomes a weapon.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I believe that all firearms are weapons. There are many things that can be used as weapons and many different classes of weapons. Don't think I ever went hunting without causing grave bodily harm to an animal that certainly wasn't much of a threat. Most of the animals didn't stand much of a chance and I'm not one to go looking for lions, tigers and bears. Bambi and Thumper are my favorite. Even if I miss I don't worry about them coming after me. Not really a fair fight. I tried to stay out of situations where the other animal had a gun. Lot less chance of winning and I really don't want to eat humans.

I could care less about the politically correct phrase but if it's used to kill something it's a weapon. ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
In hunter training as a kid, it was a firearm to me,too. From 18 through 26 it was a weapon as prescribed by the USMC. Today the word weapon referring to my carry piece is what flows from my lips most naturally, though I am attempting to use the word firearm more. I only hunt with a bow now so the issue is solved in that respect. The word gun still seems a little weird to me unless referring to a 155mm Howitzer.

·
Registered
467 Posts
airwrench, very well stated. It all becomes very context related, doesn't it?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Every firearm I have is a weapon. I could care less about the PC crap, or making antis feel good.
The Founding Fathers wrote the Second Amendment to insure we had arms for defense. Not just from bad guys but also from a tyranical government, and that takes weapons.

·
Registered
276 Posts
More often than not I refer to my guns as "weapons". I could call them "firearms" or just "guns". It would make no difference to me, since I use my guns to injure, defeat, or destroy a target whether it is in hunting or in self-defense.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I agree with airwrench; my 'guns' are merely tools; what I do with them will decide the capacity in which they are used; hopefully will never be used as a 'weapon' which, by the way, I can't stand that term either and find it ridiculous when guns are referred to, by the media, as weapons. But it does add to their 'fear factor' to bump up their ratings I guess.

·
Administrator
40,675 Posts
It's a firearm, until I use it as a weapon.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Something pretty funny just happened. I was talking to my Dad while he was cleaning his High Standard and he told me that it was a target weapon.

So I asked him why he needed to use a weapon to shoot a target, it wasn't attacking him. He's the one who told me to refer to it as a firearm. He told me to shut up lol.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I call my cc piece a weapon but call all my others fire arms thi id an iteresting thing my best friend and I areteaching his son about shooting and fire arms and thats what we teaching him to say but the iteresting thig is that my friend has military training and he stil;l uses fir ams

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here is my take on this - what I consider to be - very important subject.

Often times - we in America do a form of 'firearm worship'.

We spend alot of time thinking about a firearm purchase.
We read up on it.
We ask questions of those that we feel 'know more' that we do.
We budget for the purchase.
We buy magazines for it.
We buy ammo for it.
We dry fire practice with it.
We live fire practice with it.
We daydream about it.
It becomes the symbol of what we feel we are.

We get into discussions/arguments with others about why ours is 'more reliable' or 'more accurate' or 'more user friendly' or 'kicks less' or 'kicks more' or 'can carry more ammo' or 'don't need to carry as much ammo' or 'shoots farther' or is 'more destructive up close' or 'penetrates cover better' or is 'safer indoors' or 'cheaper magazines' or 'newer design' or 'older proven design' or 'such and such uses this' or 'so and so uses that' blah blah blah. It goes on and on. We view our 'pet' firearm as the 'ultimate weapon' for our purposes. The thing that will save the day - should that day ever come. The instrument that will allow one to control one's destiny.

We couldn't be more wrong. It is a tool - nothing more - nothing less. A tool - just like a hammer or a screwdriver. How many of us daydream about changing the course of human events with a 'Phillips head' screwdriver?

A firearm is a tool. Its primary purpose is to launch small projectiles. If properly set up - it will launch them in the direction the sights/scope is pointed.

Here is a scenario that will aptly describe the condition of when one is not the weapon - versus when one is the weapon.

Lets look at an extremely close quarters lethal force confrontation. We will pit one man against another. We will focus most of attention on "our" guy - whom we will name "Bob". Bob is armed with a ______ (choose whatever you want) long-gun and a __________ (again, the choice is yours) sidearm in a ____________ (holster of your choice). Because of environmental limitations (debris in the hallway) and because of fatigue Bob doesn't to take the corner 'long' but rather is up against the corner while negotiating the corner. As he is turning the corner he is met face to face with an adversary. Neither one has to raise his long gun much to get a shot off - and they both pull the trigger at about the same instant. However, BOTH long guns go "CLICK" instead of bang.

Bob has a "OH CRAP" moment. It interferes with his OODA loop. He his momentarily stuck in the "Observation" stage as he realizes his PRIMARY WEAPON has just gone 'down'. He does go to "Orientation" though - and then his mind clicks with a Decision - "just drop the primary weapon and go for the secondary weapon in the drop holster on the thigh - just as we did in training thousands of times. Just drop the primary weapon and get that secondary weapon in hand NOW!" Bob springs into action and starts to perform the drill. While is Bob performing this action - his adversary............

The above scenario is how Bob reacted because in his mind - he is not the weapon - but rather the instrument in his hand is the weapon. Because of this - when his rifle went 'down' - Bob felt "weapon-less" - almost "unarmed".

What saved Bob from a total "white out" (remember the color code) was he remembered his sidearm. What would Bob have done if his sidearm had been damaged unknowingly and would not work - provided he was able to bring it to bear in time?? Who knows.

Now lets look at "Bob the Weapon". Same fatigued Bob, same hallway, same adversary, same long arm, same side-arm. The ONLY difference in this scenario is that Bob is the "weapon". So...as Bob is turning the corner he is met face to face with an adversary. Neither one has to raise his long gun much to get a shot off - and they both pull the trigger at about the same instant. However, BOTH long guns go "CLICK" instead of bang. Bob recognizes that his long arm didn't fire. He doesn't even contemplate why - or why not. He is focused on the eliminating the threat. Bob simply parries the adversaries long arm aside with a 'swat/push' from the left hand/arm. He continues to drive forward and thrusts the barrel/muzzle of his rifle into the threat's throat/sternum/face. He continues with this driving force knocking the adversary down off his feet. Bob delivers blow after blow from his rifle into the upper body/neck/head area of the threat until the threat is sufficiently stunned giving Bob enough time to pull out his handgun and either issue a command or to administer "eternal fight stopping blows".

You see, since Bob knew he was the weapon - he didn't have to worry about whether the long arm in his hand 'worked' or not. He had a TOOL in his hand. In an INSTANT that tool just transformed from a projectile launching platform to an impact device.

Granted - in the second scenario - since Bob was the weapon - there are other ways he could have 'worked the problem' - but NONE of them would have involved dropping the primary and going for the secondary - as the time/distance to the adversary was too short/close for that. Bob just uses the tool in his hands - as he recognizes they are just TOOLS - not 'weapons'. He didn't feel 'weapon-less' or almost 'un-armed' - as it is IMPOSSIBLE for Bob to feel this way. He knows that his hands, arms, elbows, knees, head, etc. are tools that are ALWAYS at his disposal - and he can and will use these to get other tools - that allow him to fight at greater distance when the situation permits.

BECOME THE WEAPON

cheers

tire iron

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
tire iron

I like your take on that.

We have had the discussion in other threads, and it seems that you use what is available, even if it is your teeth close in. Each case seems to be how will you "YOU" react to a given case. We all know of those who froze, or did nothing in recent cases. Some that tried to do something weaponless. So you use what U got, at the time!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ooorah, tireIron. I remember beating up my 2nd degree blackbelt instructor in the 12th grade and getting kicked out of my TKD class. She alway's used to say - "be the weapon!" SemperFi

·
Registered
69 Posts
Tire Iron

I think that Bob is actually a walking Tool Box!

;D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts