Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister in law passed away last weekend, suddenly after fighting stage 4 ovarian cancer into remission and having surgery on her leg tendons which had been damaged by the chemo...she was upbeat and looking forward to rehab and walking again. She died in her sleep from an apparent heart attack.

My nephew and his daughter drove up from NC for the services and bunked at our house and while they planned on leaving today to head home, Lilly, who is sixteen, said she wanted to learn to shoot. She had prior experience with a BB gun.

We started with the Dan Wesson Model 15 loaded with 38 Special, moved to the CZ 75 Compact and then onto long guns. I had the Winchester 1906 to get her accustomed to a rifle and then broke out the Marlin 44 Magnum. I expected that the time with that carbine would be short..and was waayyy wrong. She finished up the pack of reloads with 240 grain PFN loaded with Universal 8.5 grains...not a powder puff charge. She loved shooting that lever gun and we finished with some full power 44 Magnum loaded with 240 grain semi jacketed FMJ.

I told her that when they come back in the Summer that we'll hit McMiller in WI and get the AR's warmed up!

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
GREAT job teaching our young folks! Help her enjoy our sport!

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
My friend I am so sorry to hear of the loss to your family. Sounds like she put up the good fight! It was good of you to take the time and spend it with the children even if they are young adults, that's what Uncles are for!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Sorry for your loss. I'm glad you where able to find some good in the bad. It's just as fun being the teacher as it is for the student. I remember when I was teaching my wife to shoot, I couldn't reload fast enough.😁

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Fantastic!!! A great start. Statistics from the ODNR, Division of Wildlife show a drastic drop in hunting and shooting. It's not "millennial" thing. We're working on that. 57 kids in my 4-H Shooting Sports program this year. It starts with our youth. Pat on the back to you and to Lilly!!

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
sorry to hear about your loss what part of NC are they located in.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Super Moderator
37,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry to hear about your loss what part of NC are they located in.

North of Charlotte...I was picking my nephew's brain about the areas I am considering relocating to.

Reactions: kmw1954

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
North of Charlotte...I was picking my nephew's brain about the areas I am considering relocating to.
Just remember that IF you go any farther south then you will require a permit, and a 6 year probation to see IF you fit in.
sorry for your loss as well my friend.

Reactions: GreenWolf70

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of the loss to your family. She certainly was strong and put up one heck of a fight. I have to say that after such a bad thing there was something very good that came from it though. Looks like the young lady enjoyed her range visit!

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
I am embarrassed and beg your indulgences. I am first and foremost so sorry for your loss. Please forgive my obvious oversight.

·
Super Moderator
37,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just remember that IF you go any farther south then you will require a permit, and a 6 year probation to see IF you fit in.
sorry for your loss as well my friend.

Well my friend, I cherish and value our history. All of it, good and bad because we have learned hard won lessons throughout that time...and I've never advocated removing any statures.

·
Super Moderator
37,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am embarrassed and beg your indulgences. I am first and foremost so sorry for your loss. Please forgive my obvious oversight.
It bears an important lesson that we need to get together with our loved ones while we are here in this world as tomorrow is not promised to anyone. My dear old mother instituted annual family picnics for that very reason and I have organized a couple since she has been gone. The first fairly well attended, the second not at all.

It's time to resurrect those gatherings.

Reactions: olfarhors and darbo

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Sorry for the families loss.

Lily sure was working that lever like a boss. Nice job.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Don't expect me to come visit every weekend! Though I would miss a good shooting buddy!:wave::icon_ cry:

·
8,900 Posts
I am so sorry about your sister in law, what a tragedy. I will add your family in my weekly prayers. But wow - way to go , taught that young lady how to use firearms. Sounds like she had a great time. Perfect distraction from the event that brought her to you. I bet she felt empowered and maybe even a little happy. Good job Czech!

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
I am just below Va Beach Va across the NC line (Camden NC) and we would be happy to welcome you to the upper outer banks area

That a very nice area !
Love that section of the East Coast.
just don't wander to close to Washington D.C.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
That a very nice area !
Love that section of the East Coast.
just don't wander to close to Washington D.C.

that's why we need more gun people to act as a Buffer and stop the spread of that stuff coming out of DC and the upper part of VA (DC)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts