Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody!! I wanna start by saying this community is awesome with helping me with my G2C questions. This time I have a question of Break Free CLP. My girlfriend gave me a can of CLP and I am wondering what is the best method to clean with it? There are a few videos on YouTube but nothing that isn't giving me the details I would like. What do you guys go by step by step? I've shot almost 200 rounds without cleaning. Please lmk! Thanks !!

·
Registered
345 Posts
I clean my G2c almost after every time I shoot it (I amretired with lots of time). if I were to only shoot a dozen rounds I would not clean it. When I shoot at the range it is usually 100 rounds once every two weeks. I use CLP for cleaning after those sessions.

I soak a bore mop with the stuff and saturate the barrel and chamber with CLP. I apply CLP to all inner surfaces in the slide and frame. I remove the striker assembly and give it a dose of CLP as well as swab the striker channel with it.

Then I let all the treated parts sit for ten minutes. After that I wipe off all the CLP with patches and cotton swabs. When the patches and swabs run clean I apply a light coat of RemOil to the parts that contact during slide motion. Then I reassemble the the gun and wipe the exterior down with a Remington cleaning cloth. The process takes about 20 minutes, more than enough time to drink a beer.

·
Registered
16,494 Posts
I use hoppe's # 9 to clean the gun and CLP for a lube. I place a light lube on all the places that show any contact.

·
Registered
24,943 Posts
I use a Bore Snake with CLP and do 3 or 4 passes thru the bore and then a small amount of CLP at the friction points.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I use CLP for cleaning and some lubrication. I disassemble the pistol, use the red tube on the spray CLP and spray down the bore of the barrel and let it set. I also spray some CLP in the front of the slide and wipe out the interior of the slide, I wipe down as much as possible until it's dry. I then use patches and a cleaning rod to run down the bore of the barrel until it's clean. I then use either CLP or Hoppes #9 for lube. I put a drop of oil on the barrel lug, and about a 1/4" from the end of the barrel. I lube the rails and inside the slide with a drop or two where the chamber rubs against the slide then re-assemble the pistol.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
The truth is, there are many methods and all work equally well. Some people break the gun into components and clean all the nooks and crannies. Some people give it a spray and a wipe down. Personally, I run a bore snake thru a couple of times, take an old t-shirt and CLP and wipe down anything that looks dirty on the inside, and call it good.

·
23,204 Posts
About the only thing CLP isn't much good for is lead or copper fouling in a barrel. Unless you're seeing that, you can do everything you need to do to clean a pistol with CLP. 1942bull explained it very well. I'd probably have mentioned using qtips to get into some of the hard to read places, but that's it.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Everyone has pretty much covered it. I really don't have anything major to add. I like the CLP as the aerosol can with the plastic straw allows me to blast areas that are hard to get without disassembling them every time. I have the PT111G2 and ran approximately 800 rounds before cleaning it to see how it would stand up as a carry weapon.... No hiccups in approximately 2500 rounds and it's been cleaned with just the CLP except for running patches with Hoppes #9 down the bore a time or two.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
The only thing I use that hasn’t been mentioned so far is a product designed for high quality fishing reels. It’s called Quantum Hot Sauce. I’ve used it for years on every firearm and fishing reel I’ve ever owned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts