Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wondering if anybody else has used the wax slugs out of the judge. I made some today and shot them into some clay. Only got about 2.5 inches of penetration, but the entry hole was about 4 inches across. For comparison, a .380 Federal hydrashock only penetrates about 4 inches in the clay,with a tiny entry hole. Not sure if the rifling is breaking the wax and shot apart as it goes through the barrel like someone mentioned earlier. Will test some regular birdshot into the clay to compare soon.

· Super Moderator
40,796 Posts
I have not tried it, I wonder if a soft or hard wax would be better.

Hard wax will hold together better, however it may grab the rifling and spin apart after it leaves the gun.

A soft wax might not grab the rifling, not sure if it would hold together as well as a harder wax.

I guess the best way to tell would be to shoot cardboard at 7-10 yards.

Did you get any wax fouling around the forcing cone? That would be my concern. Thanks for the pictures, and keep us informed if you try again.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not tried it, I wonder if a soft or hard wax would be better.

Hard wax will hold together better, however it may grab the rifling and spin apart after it leaves the gun.

A soft wax might not grab the rifling, not sure if it would hold together as well as a harder wax.

Did you get any wax fouling around the forcing cone? That would be my concern. Thanks for the pictures, and keep us informed if you try again.
I've heard of people using hot glue to keep the "slug" together. Gonna try this next.

I haven't noticed any fouling around the cone yet.

· Registered
6,743 Posts
What is the point of wax bullets? Are you competing in a quick draw competition with your Judge?

· Super Moderator
40,796 Posts
What is the point of wax bullets? Are you competing in a quick draw competition with your Judge?
The idea is to mix the lead and wax together making a "poor mans" slug. There is many video’s out there showing the devastation they can do with minimal chance of over penetration.

· Registered
6,743 Posts
OK, but sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen to me. I have seen wax bullets used in quick draw competitions, they use a 209 primer in 45LC case, that way they dont blow their leg off when they fire it in the holster.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.