Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Holy crap I don't have words for the rage I would feel if I was family of the donor.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Only in AMERICA!!

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Sad indeed. I just hope the donor family does not know who the recipient was.

Reactions: AOCM.RET

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
One heart, two dead. What is the irony in that? .....I do not support the idea, the donor family should have a say in who gets the organ. I think, total anonymity should be the rule, however, if the recipient wants to contact the donors family, then that would be ok if all parties agree.

The subject individual who received the heart was given a second chance at having a meaningful life, but chose to take a path of destruction instead. Where do we draw the line, that cuts off the opportunity for continued life and who has the right to make that call? ....Organ donation is like a crap shoot, you roll the dice and sometimes you roll snake-eyes. Such is reality.

Reactions: CB236

·
Banned
860 Posts
His mother pulled the race card to get the heart. She said hi was just turning his life around. He deserved a second chance, he is a good boy.

"So I can live a second chance. Get a second chance and do things I want to do," Stokes told the television reporter.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Judge not least you be Judge

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
A little fuller story.

Georgia teen who had heart transplant dies in car crash while fleeing cops | syracuse.com

Stolen car. Fired shots at an 81 y-o woman during a home robbery.

Hospital made the call to deny him a transplant based on facts in evidence. Race card, media flutter, who-knows-what backroom considerations based on benefactor involvement pressured the hospital into reversing their decision, and investing an extremely precious and limited resource into what had already proven himself to be a liability to society.

Can't say for sure, but have heard numbers of $500k to $1 mil for prep, transplant, and post-op treatment for a heart transplant. Given that one of the accusations hurled at the hospital by the mom was that her son was denied a transplant because he was poor, have to infer that the transplant was paid for by the same public who was put at risk by giving him a second chance to, to paraphrase his words, do things that he wanted to do.

Lack of confidence in his compliance with post-op care sounds like a real nice way of saying the hospital knew the kid was a thug, and didn't want to give a heart to someone who was likely to continue to be a thug.

So -- oops, hospital, you were right. Darn. Patient on the transplant list who would have gotten this heart, hope you could hang on for the next organ, while your chance to live was either lost or delayed by surrendering reason to hype and victimology. Taxpayers, your contribution will be largely unacknowledged, and unappreciated by the people who take it for granted, because they have the power to take it, period.

There is no upside to this story, beyond the fact that his escalation in crime was permanently interrupted.

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
He was a waste of air.. He died doing what he wanted.. Karma wins again..:D

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
My wife and I had this conversation. Life is a gift to do with as we please. A heart transplant is also a gift with no expectations in return, and I, personally, don't feel comfortable denying someone medical treatment that will save their life. I wish the guy wasn't such a POS, but it wasn't the first, nor will it be the last time this happens.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts