Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ANyone here had to use the warranty,,,ie send their pistol in to Taurus?? Reason I'm asking is I just sent mine in due to possable wear and tear from age and usage.
Customer service was very friendly, unfortunitly they said any parts pertaining to the trigger group could not be sent to me dirrectly for me to replace,that if they were worn out only the factory gunsmith could test and change them,"under warranty".My other question is because of age 2006/2013 (7 years old) and well used,has any one sent in a pistol to them,and gotten a call and say it is "done" you need a new pistol,I know the warranty is stated as "lifetime", but still makes me wonder. Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I've had my PT1911 since 2008 and to date I have over 19K rounds through her, and by no means is she "done", I make it a habit of breaking her down @ about every 3000 round give her a good boiling and inspect all the fire control group pieces under a lupe to check for excesive ware, and I've been pleasently surpriced at how well the the parts look, after 6 times that I've checked in this manner I have found no excesive ware, which leads me to believe that the reputation for Taurus being a leader in the MIM technoligy is probably spot on, as far as what you were told about the trigger group, I think that you will find that the information that the customer service person gives you will very depending on who you talk to, I always ask to speak with Christian I think he's the one that will give you straight talk, I've had Taurus (Christian) send me a new ambi-safety, grip screws, extractor, slide stop, complete set of springs and they have replaced my mags two time with in 5 years, I for one would never send my PT1911 to Taurus for repair unless there was a catastrofic failure with the gun like being crack, but other than that I will call Taurus and ask for the parts.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank's for the advise and the response cuban,I'll make a note to ask for Christian,if I speak to CS again. Ive never had any real problems with my PT1911,but was very concerened about some deffinate wear on parts of the trigger group,the only reason I sent mine in was the fact that my local gunsmith who has a very good reputation (his specialty is the 1911 and he does build some marvelous 1911's) wont work on Taurus PT's due to the lifetime warranty,he suggested sending it in and letting them assess it,so I did,they should recieve it this monday the 4th according to Fedex.I agree with you on getting the parts but all I can do is quote CS on that the parts I might need they wont send but will install.Thing that looked most suspect were deffinate groving of the lower reciever just below the ramp,and what could be a crack just below the hammer thumb spur,which could be seen when de-cocked.Guess in this case I'd rather be safe and sorry,..lol.Actually was just wondering about anyone elses experience for pistols thay had to send in.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I believe that CS has a "canned" response to any issues regarding the trigger group. If you get the right Rep, you may be
able to get them to send you say a disconnector, or hammer strut, springs, etc.. If you are calling them for a sear and/or hammer,
since these parts are actually hand fitted when installed, they will require you to send in the gun for liability reasons.

·
Registered
38,432 Posts
well liability is the concern for sending certain parts, while we all know that everyone is a 1911 gunsmith the factory thinks its best if they have their gunsmith do the repair.
as for replacement (or repair) then yep, thats the way the warranty typically works with pretty much anything, if its cheaper to replace than repair the warrantied item thats what happens in most all cases.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
36,963 Posts
ANyone here had to use the warranty,,,ie send their pistol in to Taurus??

Yes, out of sixteen Taurus handguns, I've had to send in two of them to Taurus. One was replaced with a new one, and the other was repaired and back to me within 10 days.

Reason I'm asking is I just sent mine in due to possable wear and tear from age and usage.

Customer service was very friendly, unfortunitly they said any parts pertaining to the trigger group could not be sent to me dirrectly for me to replace,that if they were worn out only the factory gunsmith could test and change them,"under warranty".

This is usually the case. They can only warranty the repairs that they make. And this seems fair enough to me.

My other question is because of age 2006/2013 (7 years old) and well used,has any one sent in a pistol to them,and gotten a call and say it is "done" you need a new pistol,I know the warranty is stated as "lifetime", but still makes me wonder. Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

I've read on this forum where a member sent in a Taurus gun for repairs, but it was a discontinued model so Taurus replaced it with another comparable handgun.
I hope my comments in red font will be of some help to you.

I don't think you will be disappointed with the service you receive from Taurus.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I believe that CS has a "canned" response to any issues regarding the trigger group. If you get the right Rep, you may be
able to get them to send you say a disconnector, or hammer strut, springs, etc.. If you are calling them for a sear and/or hammer,
since these parts are actually hand fitted when installed, they will require you to send in the gun for liability reasons.
Not so sure about Taurus having to fit the fire control part because of liability, I would think the the thumb safety which also requiers fitting would trump the fire controls when it come to liability but they sent me and countless PT1911 owners replacement thumb safeties when a batch of PT1911 were let out of the factory with bad safeties, but then again there policies might have changed with the changing of the guard.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

·
Registered
38,432 Posts
well some of it MAY be so many different customer service people answering the phone and trying to handle customer complaints that some things slip out the door.
Also remember that when Taurus opened up in Miami it was a new facility and so i am sure a lot of new people were hired.
Remember several here recieved 1911 barrels and then when questioned about it taurus said indeed they needed to be fitted to the slide and return everything.
Personally I have returned 2 Taurus pistols and in the end were totally satisfied with the results.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well my pistol made it on monday,showed up as being checked in yesterday (wensday) so we'll see how long it actually takes.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Good luck with it all. Worst case if its something catastrophic you get a new PT 1911. Most likely case they'll take care of everything if anything was worn out in the first place.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Model is the PT1911-B, year of manufacture 2006.Hopefully she will only need a few parts updated,but we'll see.Sent it on the 1st showed recievied on the 4th through fedex tracking showed logged and recievied awating repair on the 6th on the Taurus website.I have read quite a few post saying sent in for repair arms were repaired and shipped back and the Taurus website never updated that it was in repair or being shipped so I'll have to keep and eye on that.Havent recievied any email or calls from Taurus so I hope no news is good news and if I'm lucky maybe it will take less than the 6 week's I was told by CS.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
My PT1911 -SS was gone two weeks and a day and that was over New Years holiday. Keep an eye on the status page. Once it gets to repaired status, you can check Fed-Ex site to track it. Taurus won't send you a tracking number, but try tracking with a reference number on the Fed-Ex site. Taurus uses your serial number as a reference number. Plug that in and you can get a tracking number and track it til it comes home to you. If they repair your gun and send it back to you, you will have to have someone there to sign for it that is over 21 years of age. If for some reason your gun was un-repairable, and you got a new gun, it will have to be sent to an FFL dealer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats what I figured,though I have read a few that said they recievied their "new pistol" them selves does Taurus call or send you anything pertaining to the repair,or replacement before they ship it ,,,ie,e-mail,phonecall or after a few week's do you just call for an update.??? If they exchange it out "replacement" and send it to an FFL how do you know which one or do they contact you with that info. Hated to send it in but thought safety a better choice than not.Just hate that these days it seems the Anti-gun crowd and forth coming laws are very trying.

·
Registered
38,432 Posts
well it can be returned to you directly whether repaired or replaced, its not required by law to be sent to a FFL dealer, although it seems that people say lately that taurus does this!
the 2 firearms that i sent to them for repair were shipped to me (requiring a adult signature) and beretta sent 2 replaced weapons directly to me that were replaced, as did colt.
so i guess its taurus policy!
hopefully you can find an FFL that will recieve it for free, most charge for that service.
What should happen is that once the gun is picked up by FED-X at taurus they should notify you that someone will need to be available on such and such a day to sign for the package or it will not be left, If not Normally they will take it to the local Fed -X facility and you can pick it up with proper ID, or you can change the day of delivery so someone will be there.
again thats how it should /usually works.
you will need to ge ta FFL and have them sent their fed license to taurus and they will deliver it there if thats the way they want to do it, the FFL will then call you and tell you its in.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Olfarhors,I believe CS told me,even if exchanged/replaced they would send it back to me,but I'll call them back and double check that.I do know the two local stores I deal with,both charge quite a bit to recieve a firearm for transfer,thats one resason why Ive never bought one from like Buds online,no sense in getting a decent price and having to pay X amount more to pick the gun up,thats just rediculis in MHO. I did recieve a letter from Taurus this morning showing a recievied date of 2/6/13 letter also contained a service number letter states it should take 6 week's from 2/6 it provides phone numbers if I want to call to give additional info to them and tells me to check online for the status/status updates.I'll go out on a limb here and make a guess they will contact me if they need to send a replacement to an FFL as I did not list any on my "work sheet" sent in with the pistol.As a matter of fact I'll go the shop I deal the most with and ask them on the way to work today exactly what the cost and how it work's if they are sent a replacement pistol,and post the answer here tonight.
I'd have replaced the worn parts myself but they said they wouldnt send the parts I actually needed as they were invasive I think is the word they used pertaining to the trigger group,so "if those parts get replaced,or if they send me a replcement pistol,I have a plan,which is to strip her down and take those parts to my buddy's machine shop and have them mill me a few replacement piece's , as for the other parts my Mrs.,bought me a few extras for being such a good hubbie :)

·
Registered
38,432 Posts
I would bet that you have it back before 6 weeks, but time will tell for sure.
IF taurus wants it (replacement ) to go to a FFL dealer they will have to contact you and get you to find one and sent the federal paperwork to Them so they can ship it.
I bet they repair the weapon unless not able to due to major problems with the frame.
FFL fees here run for 10 bucks to 50 bucks depending on the FFL dealer.good
luck and hope the wait isn't to long.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update: CS says repair times have gone from 6/8 week's instead of the 4/6 I was original told,dissapointed for sure at this point,so either they are very backlogged,which isn't good in my opnion(to many problems ) or short on pistol parts which isnt good either,guess I'm gonna have to wait about 2 more week's and see if anything changes as far as the status on their website.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Update: CS says repair times have gone from 6/8 week's instead of the 4/6 I was original told,dissapointed for sure at this point,so either they are very backlogged,which isn't good in my opnion(to many problems ) or short on pistol parts which isnt good either,guess I'm gonna have to wait about 2 more week's and see if anything changes as far as the status on their website.
I believe you are correct on both counts. There are a lot more firearms in circulation than there was back a few months ago. CS at
most gun mfg's is extremely busy. Not only are there many first-time gun owners who may have problems accurately explaining what
is wrong with their new gun, but you have many new CS reps, hired on to help with the deluge of calls, that may be a bit too quick to
just say "Send it in".

As far as parts being backordered, that is mainly due to the fact that many gun owners who follow the Boy Scout motto of "Always
be prepared", are stocking up on consumable parts and preparing. Especially owners of pistols with 10+cap.

·
Registered
38,432 Posts
Yes indeed!
right now if it even looks liek a gun then it sales!

My usual gunshop/range typically has hundreds of pistols with about 70 -80 at least on display in the counters, i bet they may have 35- 40 and no back stock.
they are selling faster than they can find them and get them in.
and as mentioned a great-great amount of first time gun buyers and that always leads to more problems.
Just hang out at a gun shop counter for about 15 minutes and listen to the conversation and questions .
anytime thta you can't buy 22 long rifle ammo its a strange day in the neighborhood!
MY advice just put the gun in back of your mind and time will pass a lot faster,after all worrying about it won't make it happen any faster.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.