Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
November, 2011 bought a PT92 in stainless because I love the look and have always wanted one! Bought, Love It!! However, I had looked forward to the model with gold accents and was unable to find one and my impatients wouldn't allow me to wait any longer.

December, 2011 a new found friend was in a financial pinch and wanted to sell his PT92 to solve his cash problem. I asked about the accessories thinking I would remove them from his old gun and install them on my new gun and have the gold trimmed PT92 that I have always wanted! After inspecting the used PT92 I was discouraged to learn the gold accessories had a little more wear than I would feel comfortable installing on a new weapon. I did however buy the used PT92 because the deal was too sweet to pass up!

Now I have 2 almost identical stainless PT92s and love them both!! I've decided to leave the originally purchased PT92 as is with the aftermarket grips and little else done, it really doesn't need anything else. I have read through the forum enough to know that the plastic mother of pearl grips are not very popular around here so I won't tell you that's what I decided on!

Anyway, I'm thinking about removing the worn gold accessories from the second (used) PT92, stripping the gold and replating them in black chrome. I have everything in my shop to accomplish this, I'd just like some opinions before I start stripping gold off. I don't want to have any regrets after the fact. Once the black chrome is finished and reinstalled I'm almost certain some aftermarket grips would be mandatory!

Whatcha think?

Thom

·
Registered
31,749 Posts
Should look good with the black chrome accents and some Ivory (faux) grips. Ivory grips would also look good on your current pimped out 92. ;-)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first (new) PT92 has the faux pearl grips installed. I have considered the black faux pearl for the second (used) PT92 once the black chrome is completed.

·
Super Moderator
21,451 Posts
Sounds like a plan, black Chrome looks really nice. And its pretty hard to screw up a 92. They just look great. :)

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
I'm a fan of black chrome. It should look nice!

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
I think that the black chrome would look nice and maybe some pachmayr grips with the finger groves.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I bought my wife a PT911 with the gold accents and rose wood grips. She loves it and it is her purse carry gun. She loved the black and gold finished the moment she saw it.

Attachments

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Of course, we will enjoy seeing pics once you have the pistol outfitted like you want it. :cool:

·
Administrator
17,667 Posts
The first (new) PT92 has the faux pearl grips installed. I have considered the black faux pearl for the second (used) PT92 once the black chrome is completed.
Do it!!! :cool: It will look great!

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Sounds like you have a plan that should look really good. Who knows, once you change those to black chrome, you might want to look into a blued barrel with a nice gloss to it so you'll have a true duo-tone 92. Black always looks good on stainless IMO, so you really can't go wrong.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Altamont has several offerings available that you might like for PT92's. I think they even offer the black pearl.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
My only caution is to avoid real mother-of-pearl or ivory grips, and don't expect a polished blue barrel to look good for very long. Both grip materials become brittle as they age, and will crack in short order. Neither likes bumps, either.

If you examine any blued PT92 barrel with a few thousand rounds through it, you'll see a wear pattern on the barrel. Imagine that on your polished barrel.

It's your gun. What you find delightful may not be another persons cup of tea. Who cares? If it makes you happy, you paid for it, not them. Personally, I think they will both look fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Or, You could just sell me the gold stuff, I can't find it anywhere.lol If you have any ideas where i can find them please pass info on to me please. E.T.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
I say go for it!

I like blued guns best and I'm of the opinion that normal wear marks are a good thing, unless it's just a show-n-tell gun or a high dollar collector edition.

·
Registered
13,870 Posts
Sometimes I wish I could carry a purse lol.I'd carry a s&w 500 haha.
They say it takes a man who is very comfortable with his manhood to wear a pink shirt. I would think it would take a man who is very Secure with his manhood to carry a purse...However, carrying a purse with a .500 s&w should help add to that feeling of security...!!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts