Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have got 6 calls since noon today that show up as Severe Threats and caller is using my own # !!! Anyone getting any calls like this ?? If so what do you do or can you ?? I have Call Protect and that’s what blocks all these calls thank goodness !

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
I don't answer calls that are not from friends or family already in my contact list. If it is an emergency, they'll leave a message or text.

Back when my son was in college, my parents received a call from a "kid" (claiming to have a cold so as to alibi a different voice) who claimed to be my son, needing money to get a lawyer because he had been arrested while riding in a car with a friend who was transporting cocaine. I called my son and asked him where he was--he was at work. He said "dad, none of my friends have the money for cocaine". We both laughed.

Why my parents feel compelled to answer the phone every time it rings is inexplicable.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts

·
Registered
18,807 Posts
I don't answer calls that are not from friends or family already in my contact list. If it is an emergency, they'll leave a message or text.

Back when my son was in college, my parents received a call from a "kid" (claiming to have a cold so as to alibi a different voice) who claimed to be my son, needing money to get a lawyer because he had been arrested while riding in a car with a friend who was transporting cocaine. I called my son and asked him where he was--he was at work. He said "dad, none of my friends have the money for cocaine". We both laughed.

Why my parents feel compelled to answer the phone every time it rings is inexplicable.
They've gone beyond that now. There was a local couple taken for $60,000 here recently when their grandson called and said he'd been arrested in some small town in New York and needed money for bail, lawyers, etc. They recognized his voice and were absolutely sure it was him because they can now accurately imitate anyone's voice electronically. How they first obtained a voice sample to duplicate was not explained in the article. Their grandson was either home or at work the entire time and had never in his life, been in NY.

A couple years ago, my mother got a similar call from an alleged attorney who claimed he was from someplace in OH. He told her my son-in-law had been arrested with a group of his friends who were carrying drugs and was calling on his behalf to request money for bail, fines and legal fees. She was unaware of these scams but became a bit suspicious when he told her to go out and buy Green Dot cards to cover the amounts and he'd call back later for the card numbers. Luckily, she called me before doing anything and I confirmed it was a scam.

Reactions: DeltaBravoKS

·
Registered
14,798 Posts
best one of these scams was they called the home phone and claimed to be me. So naturally I acted like I was my dad to see what they'd say. Same BS story about being in jail and needing money for I think it was soliciting a prostitute. It was fun for about 5 minutes, then it got boring. How people fall for this crap is beyond me.

Reactions: Wino and kschilk

·
Super Moderator
19,742 Posts
I rarely answer a call from a number I don’t recognize. But, when I do, I drink Dosequis XX.

And, I’ll change up my accent or start speaking another language.

Here is a classic handling of an unsolicited call:

·
Registered
17,062 Posts

^^^ This.
I have a spam program on my phone that automatically blocks any call that is not on my contacts list. Nothing gets through.
I get a quiet 'beep' just to let me know some idiot I don't know wants to sell me 15,000lbs. of used underwear.
I really don't understand wanting to answer a phone call from someone I don't know.
My phone number is not on my contacts list for the odd reason that I never call myself. I don't like talking to me.
For Verizon customers, they just introduced a free app for their customers that blocks unwanted calls.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
best one of these scams was they called the home phone and claimed to be me. So naturally I acted like I was my dad to see what they'd say. Same BS story about being in jail and needing money for I think it was soliciting a prostitute. It was fun for about 5 minutes, then it got boring. How people fall for this crap is beyond me.

Hmmm. Maybe it really WAS you. How do we know you are you and not someone pretending to be you?

SCAMMER!!!

·
Registered
18,807 Posts
Hmmm. Maybe it really WAS you. How do we know you are you and not someone pretending to be you?

SCAMMER!!!
All this time he's managed to keep his time machine a secret...:dunno:...cat's outa' the bag now.

·
Registered
17,062 Posts

SCAMMER!!!
Uh oh..............you are starting to think like kschilk.
This is not a good thing.

·
Registered
14,798 Posts
All this time he's managed to keep his time machine a secret...:dunno:...cat's outa' the bag now.
I have no recollections of the events yet to happen... erm... wasn't me.

Reactions: DeltaBravoKS
1 - 15 of 15 Posts