Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Im looking for a pistol safe ,I dnt want to spend alot for one
just wondering what I should buy and what to stay away from

Thank You Guys for the advice
Jeff:cool:

·
10,379 Posts
I don't have a dedicated pistol safe. I have a couple fire safes I've bought that I can easily throw a pistol in if needed. That said, I've heard good things about NanoVault, and they're not terribly spendy. See 'em on sale at Gander for around $60 all the time for the better models.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
This for the car:
image.jpg
This in a closet or under the bed (it is small enough to carry - bolt through floor or use good attachments):
image.jpg

This behind a picture on another floor:
image.jpg
All will keep curious kids etc away - serious thieves will get what they want. BUT they have to find them. Spreading them around will help AND work for you as well - available in multiple locations.
The touch key pads are a good compromise (IMHO) - fast but not so expensive. The sound 'beep' can be easily disconnected if you want.
Watch for sales!

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
There are a ton of options available, but it all depends on your situation. Are you looking to store one gun, multiple guns, key lock, biometric lock, powered biometric. The options are almost limitless, but knowing the situation better would help with suggestions.
Personally, I don't like any safe requiring batteries or power of some kind. Even though they usually have a secondary release in most cases, I don't want to go through Step 2 just to get a gun. I like working with the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principal in everything I do, as humans we all have the ability to over-complicate things.

Something I've thought about buying at times is a simple under seat lockbox, single key entry steel box with holes in the rear for a cable or chain to be looped through for retention. I've seen them under $20 at hardware stores and Big Lots in the tools/automotive section. Is it the best thing possible on the market, maybe not. But it can be an effective deterrent to someone trying to get to the gun without a key. Even a small fire safe would be effective as a pistol safe, provided you find one for a good price.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
If you get a safe that runs on batteries - change them when you change smoke alarm batteries. I've had touch pad safes for years without a problem - they are the middle ground.

All of my security measures might add up to the cost of 1 or 2 biometric units. Personally - I trust the keypad more than the recognition programs.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
The good thing about the car lock box option that mingaa showed is that it's small enough to be hidden. The lock box function would be for kids, mostly, as a crook would just carry it off (though the car application has a security cable.) Sometimes a real good hiding place can be better than a real conspicuous heavy duty safe.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess what im looking for is some thing to put on my dresser
and eays to get to incase someone breaks into my house in the
middel of the night.I need it to hold 2 guns .and my price range is 100
or lower

Thank You
Jeff

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I've been thinking about this for a while. I'm at the point where I need my pistols in something that isn't a convenient way to carry them out of the house. I think I'm going to get a sturdy "shelf safe" from Home Depot and get me a few of those 5 pistol racks from the NRA store or similar. My primary requirement is that it can be bolted into the basement floor.

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
I guess what im looking for is some thing to put on my dresser
and eays to get to incase someone breaks into my house in the
middel of the night.I need it to hold 2 guns .and my price range is 100
or lower

Thank You
Jeff
This is the one I have GV2000 Deluxe (don't waste money on the Deluxe - not worth the extra money) The GV2000 with 4-finger pads has worked well - 2-shelf and plenty of room for two guns. the GV1000 (less money) is 1-shelf. I have a write up on this somewhere here. You can occasionally catch them on sale at OpticsPlanet w/paid freight. I do not recommend the Biometric, mainly over priced. Mine is bolted down to bookcase on bottom shelf and easy to key in my code sight unseen.
GunVault Multi-Vault Handgun Safe FREE S&H GV2000C-STD. GunVault Gun Safes.

Found link to earlier post http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/f...ult-deluxe-features-not-worth-extra-cost.html

Addendum to the last link - the unit will not work with battery pack removed (this applies to Deluxe model with power cube - I asked, because I was going to just dump the batteries and use power cube - no go. Batteries (8) will require replacement at least once a year(AA).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts