Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting the 461 3" model for a while now, and I happened by Academy today with cash in my pocket. They had one in the case.

My first impression on handling it was that there was a lot of rotational cylinder play, much more than I am used to. Cocked hammer...still a lot of play. Lock up after trigger pull was not good either. I'm talking to the sales rep about how loose it feels. He takes a 2" 38 spl out of the case. It's got significanty less play.

We open the cylinder on the 3" model. Lo and behold, the machining on the ratchets is a mess. The most immediate problem is a small, errant cut, about 1/8" wide and deep, into one of the ratchets; obviously cut with a power tool, because it was perfectly dimensioned, like somebody took a dremel cutting wheel and pressed it there for a few seconds. How on earth could anybody have missed that before this gun got out the door? "This has to go back," was the immediate comment from the rep. Unfortunately, it was the only one they had in the store. I realized the firing pin was going to be a crapshoot, based on reports I've read about the 461 both here and in other forums, but I wasn't expecting poor machining for the cylinder mechanism.

I walked away disappointed, wondering if I should spend a couple hundred more on a used SP101 or Model 60. I love the size, feel and six shot capacity of the Rossi. The last Rossi I had, recently traded, was a M88, and it was a terrific pistol. I let it go thinking it would be replaced by the 461 with a 3" barrel. It was not to be. At least not today.

·
Registered
53 Posts
A bad one must have just slipped through. I bought my 462-02 about a month ago. In full lockup it's like the cylinder is welded to the frame and timing is perfect. It's a handful with .357s but I really like it.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Glad you did the pre-purchase inspection on that one, sounds like it saved you a lot of hassle. Let us know if you have better luck with the next one you come across.

Coop

1 - 3 of 3 Posts