Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been drooling over 1911s for the last few months. As with everyone, I am on a budget. I'd like to keep it under 800 but absolutely no more than 1k. I am sure most of you have dabbled in these. Thoughts? I am currently leaning toward the SA Mil-Spec but I got a chance to hold a Remington 1911R today and it felt really well. However as of currently I have not fired 1911 at all. My local range has a SA TRP you can rent but I know that can greatly differ from even the Mil-Spec.

Looking forward to your advice!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Rent one or borrow one from a friend. See if you like it. I was lucky to find a 1911 clone really cheap and bought it to see if I even liked shooting a 45. Now, there are 4 in the stable and 3 other clones in smaller caliber. You will either love or hate shooting a 1911. For most it's love. (and an expensive addiction)
Good luck.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rent one or borrow one from a friend. See if you like it. I was lucky to find a 1911 clone really cheap and bought it to see if I even liked shooting a 45. Now, there are 4 in the stable and 3 other clones in smaller caliber. You will either love or hate shooting a 1911. For most it's love. (and an expensive addiction)
Good luck.
Ya that is next up. I will rent that TRP. They feel great in my hand and I LOVE the look.

As for the Taurus, I don't know. It just doesn't seem to have as nice of a fit/finish as a SA or Colt

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
As for the Taurus, I don't know. It just doesn't seem to have as nice of a fit/finish as a SA or Colt
If you can find a Colt for $800-1k, I would jump on that fast! When it comes to 1911's, you rarely can go wrong. SA, Remington,
& Ruger all have excellent 1911's at reasonable prices (for now).

I do have to agree with Laker. I love my PT1911. It is, out of the box, the best shooting handgun I've ever owned. I
admit, the finish on mine (blued) isn't the best out there, but, it has really grown on me. The price can't be beat, especially
when you go through the list of features that come standard on it.

View attachment 45562

Reactions: Willboat

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you can find a Colt for $800-1k, I would jump on that fast! When it comes to 1911's, you rarely can go wrong. SA, Remington,
& Ruger all have excellent 1911's at reasonable prices (for now).

View attachment 45562
The "1991 series" of 1911s by Colt start at around $800. Another option I was considering.

I have never fired the Taurus but I do really want a visually appealing 1911. Its simply for fun and range maybe carry if I am wearing a jacket. The Taurus seems a little lacking there

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
RichO +1 on the extras out of the box for the Taurus PT1911. Three instructor friends that carry multi thousand dollar 45s were all amazed at the trigger and accuracy of my PT1911 AL.

Reactions: RichO

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
I recently bought a Desert Eagle 1911C. I shot a number of 1911's before deciding on the DE. I already have a Randall Raider with over 10K rounds through it, and don't want to add wear on the gun. It's one of around 9600 produced by Randall between 1983 and 1985 (I think the years are right). What decided me on the DE was the trigger and the construction of the gun. Other than the beavertail and skelotonized trigger and hammer, it's pretty true to the original 1911A1 design - including no hammer block and a full length guide rod. Matter of fact, I had it out today. It's a tack driver. 3.5 pounds on the trigger - consistently. No creep at all. The gun goes "bang" at the end of the trigger travel. Reset is obvious and crisp. I paid a little over $700 for the gun. I'd recommend you try one. It's a fairly new offering from Magnum Research, but I think it's one of the best on the market. I tried the Kimbers, the Ruger and a couple others. I'm very happy with the gun.

Reactions: 24/7 compact

·
Super Moderator
41,998 Posts
You can spend as much as you like on a 1911, the sky is truly the limit. Only you can decide how much you'll want to spend for the finish level that you desire. A Dan Wesson, Kimber, Springfield or Colt are great choices in the mid to upper end. Money no object get a Caspian or STI. If you want value, accuracy and reliability you can consider the Taurus PT 1911 or the Ruger SR 1911.

Best advice is to shoot one or more to see if you like the platform.

Reactions: stickem2

·
Super Moderator
20,208 Posts
I think you cannot go wrong with any of the brands discussed thus far. Taurus certainly makes a true value gun for their PT1911 line when you consider you get all the bells and whistles in the purchase. That being said, the Remington R1s seem good and I did handle one of the Remingtons with an extended threaded barrel (for optional application of a suppressor at a later date) for ~ $1100. Thats a little more than you mentioned as a price range but a step ahead of the game depending on what your future plans may include.

I chose the PT1911 as it was a good price and I didn't want to go too overboard in price for something I figured would turn into a project gun.

Good luck in your endeavors . . .

·
Super Moderator
41,998 Posts
I forgot to say what DCC said...I really, really like my PT1911 SS !

Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft gun Starting pistol

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
You can customize it but a Springfield may be the better gin for that. If you want something that is accurate and solid right out the box, the pt1911 is a great gun. When I bought mine due to a dare from a bass pro shop regional manager. I was going to buy either a sig, Kimber or colt. He had just came from a training class on all of the 1911s they had and told me he felt the taurus was the best gun for the buck. He told me to buy the taurus and if I didn't like it he would buy it back from me. Now that said a lot so I bought it. I still have it and when I shoot bowling pins at 50 yards, I just smile!

·
Registered
4,433 Posts

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I made a mistake and bought a pt1911 at first sight because it's so purty. I don't like to shoot it very often.
Gilda is polished stainless with gold trim. I'd almost rather have a dull finish so I wouldn't be so finicky about care.
Almost.

Reactions: TXEric

·
Registered
38,432 Posts
So I have been drooling over 1911s for the last few months. As with everyone, I am on a budget. I'd like to keep it under 800 but absolutely no more than 1k. I am sure most of you have dabbled in these. Thoughts? I am currently leaning toward the SA Mil-Spec but I got a chance to hold a Remington 1911R today and it felt really well. However as of currently I have not fired 1911 at all. My local range has a SA TRP you can rent but I know that can greatly differ from even the Mil-Spec.
Looking forward to your advice!
First thing right off the bat! If you are thinking a TRP is anything like a GI or Mil spec you are way wrong!
don't even waste your time shooting the TRP as comparison.
Springfield does import several of its models and assembles the parts in Illinois, certain of these particular models are lets say hand assembled and fitted, some go down a conventional assembly line.
so with Springer you really do get what you pay for!
IF the gun has a NM prefix in the serial number then its assmebled inillinois, (others are assembled in brazil), the only ones that are mainly hand assembled of these are the TRP, Trophy and Range Officer to my knowledge?
in the 800-1000 dollar range there is a multitude of very good 1911 to choose from, depends on what you want on the pistol and what size that you want.
A few of my choices in different sizes would be
defender/officers size-- Kimber ultra carry or the short barreled STI-Although i truly love my ATI Titan and its at about 450-500 .
commander size- Para LTC, American classic, STI again,and the Kimber commander size (if you can find it at 1000 bucks.)
Government size- Taurus, Ruger, Remington, STI, American Classic, Para GI Expert in stainless, Springfiled Range Officer ( it is made on the same assembly line as the TRP!)
I think you can find all these at below 1000 bucks.
If you are looking to change a bunch of parts then get something thats base GI but with a front dovetailed sight, no need to buy a gun loaded then swap out all the aprts.

·
Registered
38,432 Posts
Are the PT1911's as customizable as the other brands?

I'm really leaning toward a SA as, from what I have read, are the impeccably reliable and easily upgraded.
ANY 1911 that is mil spec is the same as any other mil spec 1911 pretty much, more parts available than loaves of bread on the grocery shelf!
the Springfield is no better nor any worse in reliability, accuracy than any other quality 1911, it just depends gun to gun, MY Range officer is an awfully sweet shooter but then again so is my other 1911's.
the Springfield will hold it value better than the Taurus, ATI, American classic, Rock island , but then its going to cost you a good bit more upfront as well.
But then again you can get the Ruger for about 750-800 bucks if you can find one and it will hold its value as good or better than the springer too!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.